Nash Guitars

mrweems

• Members

Hi,

i mainly post in HCFX. But i'm looking to get a new guitar. Something that doesn't exactly hit my current guitar arsenal.

I've been considering a SG and a Jazzmaster.

But this has caught my eye.

Its a Nash TK body. Kind of like a bluesboy, except in this one. There is a p90 in the neck. Can anyone give me some details of what Bill Nash guitars exactly are?

topmusicthrice1120.jpg

• Members

Hi,

i mainly post in HCFX. But i'm looking to get a new guitar. Something that doesn't exactly hit my current guitar arsenal.

I've been considering a SG and a Jazzmaster.

But this has caught my eye.

Its a Nash TK body. Kind of like a bluesboy, except in this one. There is a p90 in the neck. Can anyone give me some details of what Bill Nash guitars exactly are?

topmusicthrice1120.jpg

I have played dozens of Nash guitars... Rumble Seat Music here in Ithaca is a dealer.

IMHO, Bill Nash builds the best relic guitars available.

They look, feel and sound exactly like perfectly set up 50's and 60's Fenders... They only use the very best pickups like Fralin and Lollar, wound to vintage spec, and the bodies are light and super resonant. always!

They are head and shoulders better than Fender CS relics at a much better price.. They aren't cheap, probably around $1700, but I have seen them on ebay $1100-1200.

Personally, I love them, and can't think of a better sounding or playing Fender style guitar...

I have played them right alongside original Fenders from the 60's and the Nash guitars always play better, and sound every bit as good.

bob

• Members

definatly looking for a skinnier neck.

was wanting a slightly hotter output than my current guitars. that one i posted above looks fantastic, and would probably sound awesome as well.

thanks for the info. I knew of their pickup use. but i was wondering if they made their own necks and bodys. Assumed the hardware was something else like wilkinson.

• Members

In my experience, expensive, heavy, poorly relic'd Fender copies with nice pickups. I'm sure some of them are good but I've never played one.

Well I've played several and I've found them pricey, light, gorgeous playing, well-reliced Fender copies with excellent pickups. They ain't cheap but you do get your money's worth.

• Members

Aren't they just allparts parstcasters? You're paying for the relicing more than anything. And I suppose the matching of the neck and boody but I don't think its that hard to match a neck and body.

Just source your own neck and body and anyone can buy Fralin pickups or Novacks or Lollar.

• Members

They are indeed technically parts guitars - ie that's where he's getting his necks and bodies. I can't recall where I read this, but I do believe he will reject bodies and necks that don't fit his specs - one of the advantages of buying them in higher volume and having a relationship with the supplier. I've played a couple and my friend has one. He seems to do a pretty good job on the fretwork and they've all sounded good. The Lollar pickups are great. The same friend also owns a Fender CS '62 Relic Strat, a pre-CBS partscaster, and an older MIA Strat with Fralins...I've got a nice USA G&L Legacy so I think we've got a pretty good perspective in liking the guitars.

To me the Nash is more or less the same idea as the CS '62 (his is a 60s spec Nash as well) and is just as good but costs less.

I think people get up in arms about the relic work on them...some aren't the most convincing looking or over the top. And of course relics just attract a lot of hate in general. Anyway, I don't think Fender is going to do you any better for the price. I don't like relics so I'd get something else myself but the ones I've played have been nice and appropriate for the price point.

Regardless of whether they are parts guitars or not under the hood you're not going to find anything much better for less off the rack. And between the fretwork, finish work, etc...it's not quite so simple as bolting a partscaster together and being good to go. At least for some of us.

• Members

As far as the G&L, it's really a different animal. The Nash is trying to nail the vintage vibe. G&L is a modern take. They tend to play more modern (bigger frets, many offered with a flatter radius although 7.5" is available), poly finish, and the MFD pickups on the ASATs are hotter and thicker sounding that traditional Tele pickups. G&Ls are really nice guitars and have great QC but - apples to oranges, at least within the Tele realm.

• Members

Of the various relic builders, Nash isn't really high on my list. I've played a number at guitar shows and the relicing tends to be a bit overdone for my taste, and the guitars themselves don't really feel like anything special. If you like the relic Fender look, check out these as well: Rocketfire Guitars, K-Line Guitars, Danocaster Vintage Replicas, Protocaster Guitars, RS Guitar Works, and, of course, good ol' Fender Custom Shop. In my opinion, Danocaster does the most convincing relicing of the lot.

• Members

Ive play'd 2.... appearance wise they were gorgeous beyond gorgeous..... like someone said as good or better than the Fender CS.... Both of the ones I play'd had serious frett buzz.... they were used however not new..... It was so dissappointing because After everything I read about them I couldnt wait to get one.... maybe it was just a fluke...

• Members

Of the various relic builders, Nash isn't really high on my list. I've played a number at guitar shows and the relicing tends to be a bit overdone for my taste, and the guitars themselves don't really feel like anything special. If you like the relic Fender look, check out these as well:
, and, of course, good ol'
. In my opinion, Danocaster does the most convincing relicing of the lot.

I heard somewhere that Danocaster has pretty much closed up shop. Anybody know anything about this?

• Members

I heard somewhere that Danocaster has pretty much closed up shop. Anybody know anything about this?

Nah, seems like he just can't keep up with the huge demand. Any guitar he puts up sells in minutes. He often sells through the merchant's emporium over on TGP. They go like hotcakes. People even trip over themselves to buy his stuff used.

• Members

Overpriced.

He was a good deal when all his guitars were $850-950 new back around '04/'05, but now that they are twice that, I think a better deal can be had.

The guys are right, parts guitars but together well. They fell and play real well. But they relic'ing is totally unconvincing. Like the Roadworns, for $900, you could forgive the "amateur hour" finish, but not for $1800+. One could have a parts guitar, finished by a better distresser like mark jenny, for a lot less.

• Members

Nah, seems like he just can't keep up with the huge demand. Any guitar he puts up sells in minutes. He often sells through the merchant's emporium over on TGP. They go like hotcakes. People even trip over themselves to buy his stuff used.

Yeah, it's crazy. When he lists them new, they almost always sell within 10 minutes. When they get sold used, they retain 100% of their value - people will buy them used at new prices all day long since they're so hard to come by.

Archived