Search Fails: PRS SE - What's Your Take on Them??

mcr23

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know search sucks... but aren't there at least two other PRS SE threads on the first page or two?

Here's a quick answer.

Some people, me included, like them a lot.

Others, not so much.

The ones that don't like them as much, often have other options they prefer.

Many times, they will share these other options with you.

/thread

M

• Members

Most folks here seem to think they offer a pretty good value proposition for a Korean guitar. Unfortunately, I've only been able to handle the ones at the local GC, and these have not been set up at all well, so I can't really give much of an opinion.

• Members

I have owned 2, a custom 24 and a single cut. Both well crafted guitars for the money. It was well worth the extra time and money to go ahead a buy a US PRS... that's a whole other level and experience. If it's purely a $$$ issue then I recommend the SE with a PUP upgrade. I had to block the trem to enhance tuning stability. If it's not a $$$ issue then take the leap on a US PRS... you'll never look back. I have not played the p90 versions but I hear great things about them. Good luck on your search.

• Members

I love my singlecut. The construction is great, especially for the price level. Obviously, the US-made PRS's are a whole other ballgame, and the price reflects it. I've yet to upgrade the pickups. The stock ones aren't garbage, but aren't quite there either. It plays fantastically.

• Members

I have one and am very disapointed.

First, the good points:

Nice fit and finish. Low action and good intonation. Looks pretty. Plays nice

Now the bad:

Not a fan of the neck (although to be fair, it is similar to other PRS necks so that's personal pref), the guitar sounds like wet cardboard, no charachter, just a bland generic sound.

Chrome plating peeled off the bridge like foil off a Hershy Kiss. Unfortunatly, there was no chocolate inside. This has happened to others (BenRicci I think).

For the money to buy an SE and change the pickups and hardware you're in used PRS CE land.

For the same money the USA made CE model is lightyears better. Sure it's used, but they're really nice, you won't have to change anything and you'll get your money back if you sell it.

IMG_0639.gif

As you can see, the rest of the guitar was not abused:

IMG_0650.gif

• Members

I'm sure people get sick of my SE fainboiness in all these threads, but I'll say again that I think the SE represents the best value for the $ out there right now for guitars under a thousand bucks, especially used. That you can find a used guitar of such quality for around $350 is just insane, and unheard of 10 years ago. I think they're even a good deal new when you look at other stuff out there at that price point.

I have more than 20 guitars, to include a few nice USA PRSi. My SE soapbar is arguably the best player of the bunch.

• Members

Chrome plating peeled off the bridge like foil off a Hershy Kiss. Unfortunatly, there was no chocolate inside. This has happened to others (BenRicci I think).

Yes, I had a similar issue with the bridge plating. Other than that, I thought it was a pretty well made import. I actually thought the pickups were OK, too.

I just didn't care for the neck as time went on, so I sold it.

I would recommend them, though, especially having seen the new 25th Anniversary SE Custom 24. These look sweet. And they appear to be retailing for only $600.

4293224825_66b73687f7_o.jpg

• Members

I can't disagree with anything I've seen here (though I can't coroborate the flaking chrome plate). My family gave me a SE CUS22 (no trem) for my 50th birthday. I liked it so much I bought a used Soapbar II to go along with it! These are the most expensive guitars I own, so obviously, I'm not comparing them to Gibsons or custom-builts. But I also have never played a guitar for the same money that was any nicer!

Neck profiles and pups will always be a personal thing, and you will just have to see if you like the neck for yourself (pups can be changed).

My take on the pups is this:

1. First off, I have a fair # of guits, and I like diversity in guitars. I don't need my SE's to sound like anything else.

2. They don't have a lot of character on their own. To me this is what makes them so nice. They give you a good relatively uncolored even frequency response (clear highs, deep lows, no mud). You can get your tone from your amp or your effects. (I use a multifx, so major versatility, IMO).

3. They have good output and since they have treble bleed caps in the electronics, you actually get good use out of the volumr control (tone control too!)

Archived