Search Fails: PRS SE - What's Your Take on Them??

mcr23

• Members

Well, the SE singlecut I had played nice, sounded a bit thin, even after putting in $300 pickups. The body is thin and overall the sound is neither here nor there...a bit generic sounding. But, for the $400 I paid, I could have done a lot worse. I ended up selling it in the end.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Been considering a used SE soapbar. LOVE the overall styling & simplicity [dig teh wraparound bridge] and the comfortable play. A few problems, though:

A) Haven't been up close to any of these P-90 SEs, so I've been relegated to YouTube demos and so far I'm just not hearing anything overwhelmingly exciting. In fact, the {censored} sounds a little alarmingly bland. So a P-90 upgrade would definitely be in order.

2) I {censored}ing HATE all the {censored} on the headstock. I don't think I'll ever understand why manufacturers slap all this excessive print on the headstocks of their less expensive guitars that just shrieks, "CHEAP GUITAR!" Is it really necessary, for example, to print "Soapbar" on the headstock? Clearly the {censored}ing thing has soapbars. WTFF?

D) I'm also GASing hard for a Tele Black Dove (P-90s) which, even at twice the $$ for a still-foreign-made guitar, just sounds worlds better and more versatile. So I'd still have to have it, and can't really justify spending the extra $ on the SE just to have it.

I'm still thinking about it, though...

• Members

I have a Single Cut SE. It has been a love/hate affair.

Love

- The feel of it. It fits my body and hands perfectly and it isn't too heavy.

- I actually like the pick-ups a lot as they aren't too hot which fits my sound really well.

- The flame top looks great.

- Gig bag is actually well made and pretty cool

Hate

- Chrome peeling off the tuner handles. Doesn't stay in tune very well either.

- The groove was cut too deep on the nut at the B-string. It was buzzing on the first fret. I noticed this after about 8-10 sets of strings. I had it replaced with a bone nut.

- This one is the real stickler. No matter how much adjusting the luthier and myself did, the G,B, and top E string sound completely dead - just like really bad fret buzz but with not touching the frets. I kept thinking perhaps it is the nut they put on it. But even with bending the string over the nut with extreme finger pressure, the strings still sound dead. I have come to realize it is the wrap-around stoptail bridge. I am going to replace it with Tonepros. I will never get another guitar with a wrap-around bridge.

I am hoping the new bridge will solve the problem. I don't even mind the peeling chrome but if the non-wound strings are just dead (even with brand new elixir 10's on it), I will have to get something else. If these strings ring clearly with the new bridge I will be a very happy camper as I do really like this guitar. I just need it to play as it should.

Peace,

Kevin

• Members

i do not like them. IMHO the higher-end epiphones are better built. but you can find gems every now and then.

If by higher end Epi's you mean Elitist, then yes, they are better built. I have owned Epi's out of China and IMO PRS SE has them beat in build quality.

• Members

For what its worth I dont like copies of any flavor.

If I was after a fender I'd buy a Fender not a squire.

If I was after a LP It would be a Gibson not an Epi.

This would hold true with PRS as well, and you get what you pay for.

I'd just rather have (if budget permited) at the very least the base model of the real thing than the most exotic dolled up model of a pretender.

Some are like myself some arnt but to me there isnt a comparison with the real deal.

• Members

I have a Single Cut SE. It has been a love/hate affair.

Love

- The feel of it. It fits my body and hands perfectly and it isn't too heavy.

- I actually like the pick-ups a lot as they aren't too hot which fits my sound really well.

- The flame top looks great.

- Gig bag is actually well made and pretty cool

Hate

- Chrome peeling off the tuner handles. Doesn't stay in tune very well either.

- The groove was cut too deep on the nut at the B-string. It was buzzing on the first fret. I noticed this after about 8-10 sets of strings. I had it replaced with a bone nut.

- This one is the real stickler. No matter how much adjusting the luthier and myself did, the G,B, and top E string sound completely dead - just like really bad fret buzz but with not touching the frets. I kept thinking perhaps it is the nut they put on it. But even with bending the string over the nut with extreme finger pressure, the strings still sound dead. I have come to realize it is the wrap-around stoptail bridge. I am going to replace it with Tonepros. I will never get another guitar with a wrap-around bridge.

I am hoping the new bridge will solve the problem. I don't even mind the peeling chrome but if the non-wound strings are just dead (even with brand new elixir 10's on it), I will have to get something else. If these strings ring clearly with the new bridge I will be a very happy camper as I do really like this guitar. I just need it to play as it should.

Peace,

Kevin

I replaced the nut on mine with a Graph Tech Tusq and it made a HUGE difference in tone and tuning stability. I would change that first since it's a lot cheaper than the TonePros bridge. As for the chrome peeling issue, I have not experienced this. I have heard it happens on the bridge too. I have only had my SE for about 6 months though.

• Members

If by higher end Epi's you mean Elitist, then yes, they are better built. I have owned Epi's out of China and IMO PRS SE has them beat in build quality.

Elitists are a whole different ballgame, seeing how they are made in Japan and the other Epis (and SEs) are made in Korea. In fact, I would not at all be surprised if the MIK Epis and SEs weren't made in the same factory by the same people...

• Members

I replaced the nut on mine with a Graph Tech Tusq and it made a HUGE difference in tone and tuning stability. I would change that first since it's a lot cheaper than the TonePros bridge. As for the chrome peeling issue, I have not experienced this. I have heard it happens on the bridge too. I have only had my SE for about 6 months though.

I will look into this. I don't expect this guitar to a US PRS or a Gibson Les Paul. I just need to be playable. Thanks for the info!

• Members

Elitists are a whole different ballgame, seeing how they are made in Japan and the other Epis (and SEs) are made in Korea. In fact, I would not at all be surprised if the MIK Epis and SEs weren't made in the same factory by the same people...

I thought most newer production Epi's were made in China. I know mine were.

• Members

I thought most newer production Epi's were made in China. I know mine were.

In that case - it's even more of a stretch to compare a MIJ Elitist.... I believe that until a couple of years ago most EPIs were MIK, but I stand ready to be corrected...

• Members

In that case - it's even more of a stretch to compare a MIJ Elitist.... I believe that until a couple of years ago most EPIs were MIK, but I stand ready to be corrected...

Well, I don't know if he was comparing Elitist's. That was what I was asking.

My Epi's were more recent so...

• Members

My limited personal experience is that they're all over the place. I bought a "like new" SE Semi-hollow about 2 years ago and didn't like it at all. It sounded pretty good plugged in (I liked the pickups... and the looks), but just felt hard to play... being kinda new (only playing a few years), I just though I was just too used to my Strat. It had a high fret that buzzed like mad, too, which cost way too much to get addressed ($70... stupid, upscale Connecticut prices). So I sold it.

I sold it to a guy (for a reasonable price) and he said the same thing - he thought it was cheap feeling and just hard to play... I offered to accept a return since I didn't want him "stuck" with it, but he said he could turn it around without losing any money on the deal.

A few months later I ran across another SE Semi and it played just fine, felt great and was substantially better all-round.... Then just a few weeks ago, I saw one in a Guitar Center and... well, it sucked... but it was GC, so maybe the setup just sucked. They also had a SE One (Soapbar) and it felt GREAT... fast and easy to play.

Hell, I can't figure out if I LOVE the PRS SEs or HATE them. :facepalm:

• Members

I'm going with the non-likers here and say that my biggest complaint is the lackluster pickups.

I really really wanted to like them, because I'm a fan of PRS in general (though I cannot afford a USA model). But if I've gotta shell out $500-600 for a decent model, I don't want to have to be changing out parts right off the bat.

Other imports are providing Duncan Designs, tonepros, etc with base models and including it in price, why not PRS?

LTD, Schecter, and Epi have PRS beat at that price point.

Archived