NGD - My Gibson SG Standard has arrived!

dcooper830

• Members

I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet cause I'm at work ..... and the guitar is very chilly so I don't want to warm it up too fast by playing it.

I just opened up the case real quick to take some quick photos...... then closed it again.

I can't wait to plug this baby in!! But right after work I have to go play an acoustic gig!
:mad:

DSC04585.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

DSC04588.jpg

Whoa nice looking one! I got one!!! BTW is the white ''fur'' now standard with Gibson cases? I got one but with black fur instead of white, but HEY THAT'S JUST COSMETIC!!! Enjoy your guitar!!!

• Members

Awesome guitar, man. But, juuuuust for future reference:

the guitar is very chilly so I don't want to warm it up too fast by playing it.

I just opened up the case real quick to take some quick photos...... then closed it again.

As long as you opened the case, you might as well dive right in, because any damage that would have been caused by temperature would have ocured at the moment you opened the case. :)

• Members

I can certainly attest to the smell of a new Gibson.

I just bought an SG Classic, and normally when I buy a new guitar, it hangs on the wall at home.

This one has been living in the case when not in use, so every time I open it I get a big whiff of that smell. Awesome.

This was my first nitro finished guit so its all new to me.

Anyway, sweet! Congrats again!

• Members

Gongrats! I have the same guitar and can attest to it's awesomeness. Even after 6 years, I still have a giddy feeling when I open that case and breath in the nitro goodness. It is such a workhorse guitar. I'm pretty sure you're going to love that guitar for a long time.

• Members

Gibson dropped the prices on those, and I think I know why. A lot of SG Standards were cut from one piece of mahogany. In more recent years, some standards had 90% one piece bodies with a small splice of mahogany added near the volume/tone controls so it wasn't too noticeable. In both cases, a fairly large chunk of mahogany was needed and in large quantities (Gibson sells more SG's than any other model).

The current SG Standards that I see at Guitar Center and Spotlight here in Fort Collins have two piece bodies joined in the middle. Frankly, they look great because unlike the small splices, Gibson actually matches the two pieces (probably flitch matched) quite well.

I really like the OP's new Standard. It looks really nice, and I'll bet it sounds amazing. Enjoy!