Les Paul- Am I crazy to love plain top over flame top??

joekkl

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm a woodworker. I like to see the character of the wood, whether that character reveals itself in growth rings or grain. So, generally, I like painted guitars the least. I can appreciate a plain top if it has some nice growth rings showin'. But I also appreciate the beauty of figured wood, curl, birdseye, quilt, burl, spalted with mineral, etc. Such wood can make guitars, bows, guns, and such unique and beautiful.

You know what looks bad to me in a guitar? The crappy 30 second spray-on dye jobs they put on em..... how they try to 'fade in' with overspray. That's lazy, cheezy and and just plain looks bad, amatuerish, unfinished. Often, the same dye technique goes into a $300 guitar as in a $4000 guitar.... and looks like crap!

Color applied, blended, and faded/rubbed out by hand enhances every speck of grain in the wood, gives it depth, which makes it stand out while changes in color are so subtle you can't tell where one stops and another begins..... Spray-n-walkaway jobs? Blech.

• Members

Nope it is not crazy at all. You like what you like. I love just about all figured maple except splatted maple. It looks like someone shit on the top of the guitar to my eyes. Oh ya and green guitars. Green is a bad luck color for a guitar at the least and most likely pure evil.:evil::evil::mad::rawk:

• Members

The flametops shown here don't do much for me. I find that they're too uniform. I think some of the Faded LP Standards had really cool flame tops because they were all over the place. Don't know why those seemed to have much nicer tops than some more expensive Gibbys.

• Members

The flametops shown here don't do much for me. I find that they're too uniform. I think some of the Faded LP Standards had really cool flame tops because they were all over the place. Don't know why those seemed to have much nicer tops than some more expensive Gibbys.

Yeah, the natural uneveness of my LP Standards top was part of the attraction for me, though I have since tended to prefer plainer finishes.

DSCF2656.jpg

:thu:

• Members

Depends on the specific guitar, but in general, I prefer plain over flame. I can't stand uniform flame - no offense to the (previous) owner, but this one posted in this thread is the worst to me:

GrecomintEG59-120CHSB.jpg

But some of the wilder flame posted here is gorgeous! It also depends on the finish - flame with cherry sunburst doesn't do much for me because it's SO overdone, but flame on rootbeer, wine red, natural, amber, and others can look amazing.

Here be my own honeyburst plaintop:

090602_001.jpg

The color is a bit off in this shot, but it shows the grain nicely:

090421_001.jpg