Les Paul- Am I crazy to love plain top over flame top??

joekkl

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's pretty common now a days. I blame all the cheap knock-off veneer topped guitars. Figured wood isn't nearly as special as it used to be. The original bursts, along with a lot of the newer historics have very subtle figuring which I like. They look like plaintops till the light hits 'em right.

The one on the far right is my R0 flame top.

large.jpg

and at another angle

large.jpg

Of course a lot of people 'round here are quite fond of my plain top G0

large.jpg

• Members

I don't like insane flames - but light flames or plain tops are lovely.

Don't care much for quilting.

Biconing, how do you like you black pearl?

I certainly was impressed by the combo I tried!!!
:)

I love it. Very responsive to picking dynamics. With enough drive for what I do (I'm not big on cleans but don't use ultra high gain either) Here is a quick demo I did with the plaintop from a couple years ago. Excuse the rathe shite quality, audio is just from a cheap sony digital cam.

[YOUTUBE]q_spy2IpMQ4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Even with plain tops I like that there is some grain like on bigconig's LP. The G0 looks like a perfect LP to me.

I wish manufacturers cut back on the veneers really. They never seem to end up looking as good as the properly thick real tops. I'd rather see that money spent on slightly better hardware, woods or QC.

• Members

I like subtly figured maple over any other. Plain is nice, but I prefer it lightly figured. Once it gets too noticeable, there goes any chance of the guitar looking good at all. That keeps me off of a lot of PRS's and the like.

One exception I can think of is burl maple - moltomario has a burl maple Parker, I think, that looked absolutely incredible.