Scam scum

ExiledCrow

• Members

I don't see how paying someone very little for something worth a lot is a crime.

If he held a gun to the guy's head and made him sell it I could see that but with the internet there is no reason to not know what something is worth.

I wouldn't want that on my conscience but I have had people bid up ebay auctions I have run so high for junk that I have felt bad about it.

At the end of the day the guy's post probably was made up anyway.

Yes, but that is not what happened. The guy reported that he got the guitars for Free after telling the older guy that they were worth nothing.

And this far removed form the original thread, all of this gets to be pretty absurd, but it was very clear to anyone who saw the original post that it was legit. The guy was looking to get some Ata-boys for scamming this guy, and his employer, out of these guitars.

:deadhorse:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Goodbomb just came in here saying "Why is everyone so upset? I dont understand the moral outrage when some old guy acts like a {censored}ing moron and gets ripped off because it was entirely his fault for being a sucker". I tried to tell him that it wasnt the point, and that people were outraged at the douches who scammed him in the first place and their behaviour, yet he kept on hammering the same point "yeah but it was his own fault for being stupid!!", and didnt seem to understand that nobody gave a {censored}...

You made my point perfectly. I said the same thing as Goodbum. I just said it in an entirely different manner. Notice I didn't have the whole of HCEG trying to rip me a new one. It's when Goodbum became a total a$$hole that he really felt the heat. I see his point. I also see the point of the majority here. These scum suckers should be at least investigated to see if legal action can be taken. But I see it as a valuable lesson for those who don't yet realise that they can be swindled, conned and pissed on at any time. I'm thinking about the time when I die and my guitar collection goes to family. None of them play, so I'd like to see them get their money's worth. Is this what happened to the old man? May be. And it is his fault for not finding some way to get a proper appraisal done. But that doesn't make the actions of the scum bags right, IMO. Gumbutt not stating that fact is what raised the ire of this community.

• Members
The guy who did the deed, posted the thread. He came in and admitted what he did and where he worked in doing it, basically boasting about it. And I'm the one who e-mailed the President of the company to let him know. I have no regrets whatsoever about doing it either. Having owned my own business for over 25 years, I have had to work hard to build up a reputation and had my share of putting out fires from bad employees who try to sully it. Also have had my share of employees that try to take work out from under me on the side while I'm paying them excellent wages, benefits, workman's comp insurance, payroll taxes, advertising dollars, etc. just to get contracts to keep them in a job.

I felt it was my "duty" to let him know how the hell his employees were acting, that they were posting this stuff on a public forum, and that he could read it and act on it in a manner in which he pleased. I'm damn proud I did it.

You have ethics. The sense of what is right and what is wrong is a fantastic and often rare thing these days. The world would be a fantastic place if everyone knew what was right and what was wrong then lived their lives like it meant something.

• Members
I don't see how paying someone very little for something worth a lot is a crime.

If he held a gun to the guy's head and made him sell it I could see that but with the internet there is no reason to not know what something is worth.

I wouldn't want that on my conscience but I have had people bid up ebay auctions I have run so high for junk that I have felt bad about it.

At the end of the day the guy's post probably was made up anyway.

The crime has a name, and its name is fraud.

• Members

I can't believe all these people defending the employees, but I also can't believe all these people who think the older gentleman was viciously robbed blind. I'm sure that people who have been on the better side of a deal might be quick to defend the employees, and people with elderly parents/grandparents quick to defend the older guy...but the facts are as follows:

-the older guy didn't care to take the time to get a second opinion or ask someone or look elsewhere for a price check

-the store employees took advantage of someone who was uninformed/misinformed.

There's blame on both sides here. Bragging about it on a public forum instead of keeping it to yourself is, besides stupid, extremely distasteful and arrogant. The good news is that as a result of that action, these employees will likely get their comeuppance in the form of a pink slip or maybe even a law suit.

• Members

Right on hardhtc! this makes me think regarding our expensive toys: leave some detailed info for your non-guitar gaga relatives who will get your babies. Tell them about what they are worth, good places to unload them at market prices, help them out. They will be emotionally challenged (hopefully!) when you go to the beyond, so anything you do to help them thru it is good. And this shouldn't just apply to old goats: Jimi, Buddy et al weren't that old when they checked out.

• Members
I can't believe all these people defending the employees, but I also can't believe all these people who think the older gentleman was viciously robbed blind. I'm sure that people who have been on the better side of a deal might be quick to defend the employees, and people with elderly parents/grandparents quick to defend the older guy...but the facts are as follows:

-the older guy didn't care to take the time to get a second opinion or ask someone or look elsewhere for a price check

-the store employees took advantage of someone who was uninformed/misinformed.

There's blame on both sides here. Bragging about it on a public forum instead of keeping it to yourself is, besides stupid, extremely distasteful and arrogant. The good news is that as a result of that action, these employees will likely get their comeuppance in the form of a pink slip or maybe even a law suit.

Finally! Someone with a little common sense. I've been saying the same thing all along. Just not as eloquently.

• Members

I was out on the ATV all day and missed the original post, was it the bloor st location? It wouldn't surprise me if it was unfortunately. I use to shop at the Waterloo store quite a bit, but some of the workers there are starting to act like the brah's at Hollister (only know cause my GF shops there) and it's a bit sad.