What's wrong with Gibson Studio and Fender HWY1?

dimibetan

• Members

I have a LP studio faded. It has the regular trap inlays and a carved top. Also has burstbucker pros which are the same ones used on the LP standards if I'm not mistaken.

I took it to an audition a few weeks ago and when I pulled it out of the case, the whole band stopped what they were doing and came over to check it out and complimented it and basically said "holy {censored} dude, nice LP...."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They're both great. I much prefer the studios with the glossy finishes and hotter pickups. They're still available new, but they cost about $400 too much, and good used ones are common as dirt.

The Highway One is an excellent guitar. I don't like the rough finishes at all, but an hour with 2000 grit finishing paper and a buffing wheel fixes that nicely.

• Members

They're both great. I much prefer the studios with the glossy finishes and hotter pickups. They're still available new, but they cost about $400 too much, and good used ones are common as dirt.

The "standard" studio's are a great buy used. :thu: I see them every now and then in the 600 range.

• Members

The 496R and the 489T pickups from mine are all gone. For me, no amount of height adjustment or tone knob tweaking took the harshness out of them. That said I was told that if the magnets are flipped that they improve vastly. When I want a hot pickup I go for something other than Gibson's 'higher output' pickups.

• Members

I really like my studio. Got someone in my area to PLEK it and it plays amazing with great action. The pickups are good if they are your thing. The 498t in the bridge is awesome with some gain behind it.

gibson has been plecking guitars at random (well not exactly random, but some of them in need) and my LP Satin Ebony was plecked according to a tech i took it to.

just thought i would throw that out there.

• Members

My Faded had the 490r/490t pickups and in all honesty, I couldn't tell a radical difference them and the 57 Classics I have in another guitar. I admit that I am in the minority, but they I just couldn't hear the terrible horribleness so many folks speak of. They sounded like the 57 Classics but with a little more upper end and a little more mids. The 57s sounded more complex though... like the longer you listened, the deeper you could hear.

:idk:

I liked them so much, I bought another used set. Granted their rep is so low, I was able to get a pair of uncovered 490r/490ts for $50.

:lol:

• Members

I cannot speak for Gibsons, but I am familiar with American Standards and Highway Ones.

There are some very important differences between American Standards and Highway Ones - non the least of which is the jumbo frets found on Highway Ones. I think the neck/string spacing is narrower compensate for this (I could be wrong, but I thought I saw it on a Fender promo video).

Pickups and tone circuits are different as well - (Highway One's are supposed to be hotter).

So in some respects, they are different guitars aimed at different buyers/markets - Highway One's are not merely a lower priced alternative to the American Standard.

Personally, I bought the Highway One Tele over the American Standard for a number of reasons, only one of which was price. I was looking for a more crunch-friendly guitar that was really easy to bend on - it was a good fit and put me in a different "market" than that of the American Standard Telecaster.

I also liked the 3 saddle vintage bridge over the American Standard - it's got a more classic vibe.

When a hardshell case was thrown in for free, I was sold! :thu:

NOW, as far as quality is concerned, the Highway One's feel "cheaper", but this purely a subjective reaction on my part to the finish which feels alot different than standard gloss (not as tough).

However, there are great American Standards and great Highway Ones - there are also stinkers in both camps. I tried 10 different Highway Ones before I found one that I deemed to be perfect. ;)

• Members

i got a faded studio and a hwy1. i love them, i went through guitars like underwear for a couple years, and ive had these for a while. i think that says something. and here's a little something to think about...

id rather have an american made gibson lp that is stripped down without fancy finish, inlays, fretboard wood, etc for the same price as an agile with all the bells and whistles. i feel like all those things are just a waste of money. some people like to argue, well the agile is the same price and you get ebony board, binding, abalone inlays, you would need to spend 3000 on gibson to get the same. well i would personally rather have the gibson quality and durability than some aesthetic upgrades on a korean (i think, maybe chinese?) guitar that looks like a retarted lp with a little horn and a goofy headstock. lol sorry, rant over...not to say i wouldn't get a nicer looking lp if i could, but given my $$ situation, the real deal stripped down was a better option IMO than the glorified cheapie.

• Members

Yours is a 1990, right? You got one of the good ones. They are all nice guitars, but those early 90's models are superb quality. I just love that ebony fretboard!

DSC02183.jpg

:thu: Mine's a 94, from their centennial year. After I got mine I noticed the quality of the studio line really went downhill for a while up until around 2003, 2004. It's been better than it has been, but those early - mid - nineties studios are still their best ones.

• Members

Neither is mine, and it has block inlays, not dots. I don't know what fu2jobu is talking about, and apparently he doesn't either.
:)

I already conceded that the online store pictures made them look like flat tops. There are a few studio versions with dot inlays. Get with the times and try a search engine or an online store. :poke:

• Members

I helped a friend with getting a tele and at around 700 bucks the Highway one was the nicest we could find. Played very well...felt very good , sounded good. All in all i thought all the highway one's we played were very nice guitars. Now I'm not making them out to be more than what they are...they're not even close to a custom shop...but they weren't very far from the regular USA models in my opinion.

I've also played a couple studios and thought they were very nice as well. Again I wouldn't call them great but for the price, I think they are worth it.

Don't know why you think there is bad reviews on them. They both get lots of love on these boards

• Members

Nothing is wrong with them, or maybe the suggestion that MIA is always better than NMIA, the Squier Classic Vibe series are made in China, and most folk love them more than their MIA or MIM counterparts.

So the idea of expensive = good and cheap = bad, is no good at all.

And mind you, some US manufacturers are screwing you by rubber stamping their product as MIA, while they are MIM or somewhere else. In Europe the laws concerning the origine of products are a lot stricter, 'designed', 'assembled' and other tricks that might lead people to believe they are MIA are not allowed.

Fender now prints on the front of their string packages: 'Made in the USA', and on the back 'Assembled in Mexico'.