A well rounded electric collection?

emuhunter

• Members

I'm wanting to get a few opinions from people, if you were going to get 3-4 electrics to play anything and everything with what would they be?

I'm trying to build up a collection of nice guitars that can do it all but because I'm still in college I don't have a ton of room or money for as many guitars as I'd like.

So far I have a '52 Tele RI and a Gibson Les Paul, and I play mainly rock and blues plus a bit of country, jazz, and 'indie.' I'd rather have less higher end gear than more inexpensive stuff, but that's just my own weird thing I guess.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm wanting to get a few opinions from people, if you were going to get 3-4 electrics to play anything and everything with what would they be?

I'm trying to build up a collection of nice guitars that can do it all but because I'm still in college I don't have a ton of room or money for as many guitars as I'd like.

So far I have a '52 Tele RI and a Gibson Les Paul, and I play mainly rock and blues plus a bit of country, jazz, and 'indie.'
I'd rather have less higher end gear than more inexpensive stuff
, but that's just my own weird thing I guess.

and you call yourself a forumite, sheesh. :poke:

sounds like a strat and a semi and you're all set.

• Members

So far I have a '52 Tele RI and a Gibson Les Paul, and I play mainly rock and blues plus a bit of country, jazz, and 'indie.' I'd rather have less higher end gear than more inexpensive stuff, but that's just my own weird thing I guess.

I'd add a Gisbon SG Special and a good Strat to that collection and call it good.

I've bought well over a hundred guitars and to me, those are the holy 4

Tele

Strat

LP

SG

But if a Gibson 339 also crept in there, that would satisfy adding a bit of semi-hollow tone in the mix. Not quite as much as a 335, but a much more comfy guitar to play.

• Members

I think even a Strat and a 335, in your case, would be almost redundant. That said, sonically, I'm not particularly fond of either. You could add a full hollow jazz-type guitar or something with toaster pickups, but I'd say you're good otherwise.

Not being a Strat man, here's what I'd look for in a versatile setup:

1. Fender offset. Jag or Mustang, most likely, or a Jazzmaster.

2. HH, mahogany set neck. Any of 100 Les Pauls and superstrats. Coil splittable, of course.

3. Full hollow, single pickup archtop. In your price range, an Eastman.

• Members

Here's what I'd want in a perfect collection:

Stratocaster for the glassy neck/middle position that I've never heard from another guitar

Telecaster for the twang

Les Paul for the fat, round cleans in the neck position and the killer distortion in the bridge position

335 or the like for the jazzy clean sounds

Some type of Gretsch chambered or semi-hollow for Beatle-esqe tones.

Maybe throw in an SG for variety.

If I had all that, I'd be set.

• Members

The best thing to do is to learn now what utter bull{censored} all this 'palette of sound' crap really is.... buy four great guitars you really like. No point whatsoever having four high end guitars of each of the key main types if all you ever play is the Tele - you'd be better off with four Teles then.

• Members

Well I've put together my little holy grail collection together and it's down to this:

Strat

Tele

LP

SG

Axis

Brian May Red Special

Sheraton

This is after owning a pretty good number of guitars over the years and figuring out what I absolutely needed.

The SG had P90's in it which was filled a huge void, but I couldn't get on with the hum so I put in some Virtual P90's. That's the only one that I am kind of on the fence about right now; but to be honest I've been playing the absolute crap out of it the last few weeks and love it to death. I'd rather have some P90's in it based on it filling a 'need'.

The only thing I feel like I am missing is something with some super twang like a Ric. I've been thinking about a 12 string Danelectro to fit that hole though. It's a lot cheaper, pretty cool and sonically it's right in that arena.

• Members

The only thing I feel like I am missing is something with some super twang like a Ric. I've been thinking about a 12 string Danelectro to fit that hole though. It's a lot cheaper, pretty cool and sonically it's right in that arena.

Take a good look at the DiPinto Mach XII.

I have the Mach IV and it's a rather nice guitar. It has three very distinctive tones from bluesy, to harder rock to a bit of the real twang thang.

The Dano would probably sound cool, but you might be happier with the better build quality of the DiPinto.

• Members

Wow!! seems like everyone is into the standards.

I'd say:

since you already have a Tele and an LP you need:

Either an Ibanez RG/S series tapped and out of phase, or a Schecter.

and then a PRS SE soapbar Hollow body.

If course my opinion is based on the anti-Fender/Gibson army.

• Members

I don't see where you need any other guitars.

• Members

I realize they sound a bit different but I'm curious, what kind of stuff does an SG do that an LP can't and vice versa?

A good Les Paul can really do anything, save for maybe surf. Name a genre, there's been great Les Paul tone in it. SGs have never really appealed to me, though; too little wood, too much pickup.

• Members

HAHA! I know right? I'm not really a forumite yet... Once I get out of college and into a career the ridiculous guitar buying can begin
:p

A word of advice: be sure to buy every guitar you want before you get married. After that, it'll be like negotiating a peace agreement between Israel and Palestine.

Archived