A well rounded electric collection?

emuhunter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always looked at axwell rounded collection like this: have a variety of scale lengths and pickup styles. For example, I keep two gibson-scale guitars: one with really hot humbuckers, and the other (a semihollow) with PAF style buckers. I also keep a fender scale guitar with single coils around (a tele for me, but a strat works too). I round it out with an oddball guitar with a unique sound and p90s.

• Members

There's been some great advice here so far. I would make sure that at least one of my guitars had P90s in it, whatever you get. For me that spot is perfectly filled with a LP DC Special type of guitar.

Also, while we're spending your money, what kind of amp are you pushing this all through? Its at least half the battle in our endless quest for tone, (opening can of worms).

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Members

There's been some great advice here so far. I would make sure that at least one of my guitars had P90s in it, whatever you get. For me that spot is perfectly filled with a LP DC Special type of guitar.

Also, while we're spending your money, what kind of amp are you pushing this all through? Its at least half the battle in our endless quest for tone, (opening can of worms).

Good luck and happy hunting.

I'm going through a VOX AC-30 handwired and I'm planning on adding a Fender (maybe a Deluxe?) down the road for that gorgeous Blackface 'verb and clean tone. For me at least AC-30+OCD or Keeley Mod Blues Driver=plenty of drive so I don't see myself needing a Marshall/Hiwatt but that's just me.

• Members

A Les Paul and a 335, while not sounding exactly alike, cover much of the same sonic ground. The one great advantage that the 335 has, and the reason I prefer it over the Les Paul, is that it has a controllable feedback that I love to play with. (The LP fights feeback pretty well, and a full hollow is virtually uncontrollable at any kind of high gain.)

I think a full hollow would round out the collection much better. I like the Epiphone Joe Pass.

A traditional strat will give you some new sounds.

A Brian May Red Special will give you a huge palette of new tones, but may or may not be the ones you want/need.

So, Tele, Paul, Hollow, Strat, and Brian May should be able to do just about anything.

• Members

Add a strat and a 335 and you're done. (Tele and LP is a pretty good start)

this. personally, i never bonded with a Tele - had 3 at one time. maybe a real jazz box if you play that much Wes-style jazz. but i consider my stuff done with Strat, 335 and LP ...

i believe in getting REALLY GOOD gear. i don't really look at the headstock unless I'm considering EVER reselling. If it plays well and fits you ... go with it. If it doesn't ... i don;t care who made it, don;t get it.

• Members

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Honestly, you could cover everything you mentioned on those 2 guitars, no problem. But what kind of fun would that be?

I feel I have a well-rounded electric stable:

Hamer Special P90 (LP DC Special)
Hamer Special FM Custom (LP DC Deluxe w/minihums)
Neafsey Custom (semihollow w/humbuckers and a varitone)
'57 reissue Strat
'69 Tele
I also have a couple of shredders, which don't get played and partscasters which occasionally serve as back-up guitars for shows.

Archived