How many "keepers" have you actually kept?

metalheadUK

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never acquire ANYTHING I don't think is gonna be a keeper. The older I got, the more likely I've been to be right.

In the 70s, when I was still finding my way around the electric guitar, I went through way too many because I was still in the process of figuring out what worked for me in terms of sound and feel. Hence the Jaguar, the crap 70s Strats, the Ibanez Musician, etc.

And the ones which were stolen, the ones I sold because I was (a) stupid or (b) broke ...

• Members

I have a number that I cannot sell.

Fender MIM Strat - gift from wife (not allowed to sell)
PRS Custom 24 10 top - 25th wedding gift form wife (would be killed is I sold it)
Ibanez Destroyer II - orignal arsenal guitar - not allowed to sell

Current Keepers:

Agile AL3000 Spalted - sick beautiful and sick sounding/feeling
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez RG320DXQM - great guitar that is worht than i could get for it.

• Members

Most of my "keepers" got that status because they are worth more to me than I would ever expect to get in resale value. For example, my 76 goldtop deluxe that was routed for full size humbuckers before I got it and is checked all to hell is the best playing guitar I've ever put my hands on. Replacing it would cost far more than I could ever sell it for.

I've only purchased a couple guitars in the last ten years a mexi-strat and an 85 MIJ tele thinline. Both are nice guitars but I could see myself moving either one of them in exchange for something.

• Members

I still have a yamaha FG460 I bought new in 1991. I am actually going to pick it up today after a refret. A Guild D45 I bought used in 1996, A G&L Asat I bought in 2004. Recently acquired a Gibby LP studio I really like.
Traded a 199? tele deluxe for a 12 string I ended up hating and gave away when I was living in Ireland. I still kick myself for that.
I think I've given away 4 guitars over the years.

• Members

wow, i dont really get attached to guitars like that.. i guess its a blessing or a curse.. but i like them and i like the ones i have but i could always swap out if i wanted and not really worry about it.. only one guitar seems to be on that i will NOT ever get rid of..

Electra Phoenix... just because i know that guitar and its home

• Members

Out of the 15ish i have, 2 are definetly keepers i will sell only if i am completly broke and have literaly nothing else. A '87 Westone spectrum--its the same exact model/color i had in middle/high school that i stupidly sold. The other is a Danelectro copperburst long horn bass. I bought it when the first reissues came out in the 90's. I have one body that i have never put together i don't think i will sell either, its a Tele body made out of wood that came from our 120+ year old house.

All my others are "keepers" in the sense i don't have any intention of selling, but they will go first over the above two mentioned. I like all of mine for different reasons, and thus my collection continues to grow.

• Members

I've owned well over 60 guitars in my lifetime and now have 3 electrics and 2 acoustics.

I've sold a lot that I considered "keepers" but real life got in the way as it always seems to do.

Even though they were great guitars I know that any of them can be replaced. Luckily I'm good enough at setting up a guitar that I can make pretty much any one play to it's max potential.

For right now my LP Axcess is the "keeper". At least I plan on keeping it as long as I can.

• Members

When I impulse purchased a near new, but neck repaired Gibson ES-335, I thought it was going to be a "keeper". But although it played and sounded great, I never fully bonded with the body shape and size. When I was offered nearly twice what I paid for it, I parted with it.

Used the funds to buy a great 2005 LP Standard, and THAT'S going to be a "keeper".

M

• Members

In the last 10 years, I'd say my black Agile AL-3000 slim that I modified to look John Sykes Gibson. Otherwise probably nothing that would have to be a keeper. The only real keeper in my collection is a Kramer Barretta/Pacer mix/match that I've owned since the late 80's.

• Members
Up to this point, I had zero keepers...

I started playing guitar when I was 10, that was in 1972, a Teisco ordered out of a JCPenny catalog. I even "gigged" it at our elementary school christmas concerts..
:)
I graduated to an Epiphone 335 copy made by Matsumoku in the 7th grade, I believe the model was an EA-250, and played this guitar until my sophomore year, when for whatever reason my interest waned and I quit playing. Sadly, I cannot recall where either of these guitars ended up.

I was still involved in music however, as I ended up running lights and basically stage managing a local rock band during my junior and senior years at high school. We even opened a few times for a semi successful Seattle band "Rail"

Then at the ripe old age of 22 or so I started playing again and my weapon of choice was again Matsumoku made....A Vantage X-88. I loved that guitar, played effortlessly, coil split humbuckers, extremely versatile. Got call from a friend who's band needed a guitarist quick, auditioned one night and was in...had a couple weeks to learn a ton of oldies and top 40, and I was off to lounge mediocrity for a couple years. Picked up a few other axes along the way during this period...Washburn strat copy..A real no name Explorer copy...Seville I think it was, none of these stuck, still loved the Vantage.

Well, as it happens, I got engaged, didn't think the band was a good fit for a new marriage, and sold off everything. But, my younger brother 5 years my junior had picked up guitar, much like I did at a young age, I like to think I had something to do with that, taking him and his friend to 3 Judas Priest concerts while they were in high school
:thu:
Back to the original point of the thread...My brother hounded me relentlessly over the years to get back into playing, he went away to college on a basketball scholarship, but eventually came back to the area, settled and went to work, never letting up on his insistence that I start playing guitar again. He never let go of a single piece of music gear that he had acquired. Including my old Vantage.

Now for the crap part of the story....My brother passed away unexpectedly at work last March...the person who got me back into playing finally, regular friday nite jams at his place.....

He had 9 guitars, one bass guitar, many amps and various cabs, recording gear, too much to list, he was a very proficient player, he never played live, but he was 2 days from signing on his first house, which had a huge practice space, and I think I had him talked into a hobby band....

I have 7 of his guitars and all of his other gear, He got to own his dream guitar, a Hamer Standard Custom that he ordered from Willcutt Guitars....

He kept the Vantage, although I don't think he ever considered it his, he would bring it over and leave it and an old peavey SS amp for me, hoping I would pick it up.

So, as far as keepers.......now I have at least 7 that I will never let go.

I can imagine what those guitars mean to you now. Hope you get the band thing goin again, for your bro.:thu:

Archived