How many "keepers" have you actually kept?

metalheadUK

• Members

Just a thought.

In say the last 10 years, how many guitars have you bought that have initially blown you away, you've told everybody "It's a keeper, for sure", and then ended up selling?

In my case it's none.

With the exception of 1 Electro acoustic, that I sold to fund a "keeper" I haven't sold a guitar in 10 years. I've ended up with a lot of keepers! :D

How about you?

:thu:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd originally figured both the Strat Plus and MIM 50s Classic I eventually sold to finance my Custom Shop Jeff Beck sig to be keepers ...

But I ended up being unable to get fully comfy with either of the necks.

It's been a very long time since I sold a guitar under any circumstances other than extreme financial duress.

• Members

I have several decent guitars... Japanese Fenders, older Korean Ibanez double cuts etc... the only one I've called a keeper for sure in the last 5 years is a 1983 JV Series Japanese Squier. Bought it used at Guitar Center three years ago maybe four. They had it marked at $200, talked them down to $160. It was obviously someone's player as it was set up absolutely 100% perfect when I first picked it up. I've bought a two American Kramers and an American Jackson back in the day but this is the only guitar I've ever picked up and knew immediately from the first note, that I was going to buy it.

I've tweaked it here and there. I've replaced the pickups once and am getting ready to swap some stuff around and put a set of Duncan SSL2s in it, and I put a Callaham trem on it but I can't imagine what would have to transpire before I would sell it.

IMG_2512a1crop.jpg

• Members

only guitar I've sold in the last 10 years is a PRS santana SE. it was a good guitar but I had too many others and that one never got played. I sold it to add to my LP studio fund.

I do have a few that I never play but can't bring myself to sell them, mainly for sentimental reasons and I'm also a pack rat. Jackson RR flying V and an epi flamekat. I love the way they look but I just haven't been able to bond with them and I never play them.

Actually I did play the flying V on halloween. We dressed up in 80s hair metal costumes and the V was perfect for that.

• Members

I've only purchased 7 guitars in the last decade and kept all but one. So, 6 keepers.

I bought a used Dillion, ash Strat on ebay. The guitar was made in John Dillion's Viet Nam factory. I put some nice pickups in it. But, within 6 months, the original pups were put back and I'd sold it. It was ok, but really wasn't put together all that well. The neck, in particular, wasn't very good quality and the bridge was crooked. By the time I'd sold it, Dillion had shut down the Viet Nam factory because they weren't satisfied with the quality control.

• Members

Hard to answer. Out of my 7 guitars, I have 3 that I will not sell. I have one that would have to be replaced by something just as amazing in order for me to consider selling. And I have 1 more that I thought I wouldn't sell but now I might because I got another that I have to admit is better. But I'm in no rush on that one either. So my answer is none at this point but maybe 1 up coming.

• Members

I have purchased many, many guitars and at one time or another, thought most were keepers. In reality, I've kept only four and have a couple more waiting to be traded or sold.

1. Fender 52RI Telecaster Hotrod (With me two years)

2. LBenito electro acoustic (With me four years)

3. Yamaha SA2200 (Almost two years now)

4. Fender parts Strat (About a year)

The two that will be sold or traded are very good guitars in their own right but not up to the level the keepers are.

1. Epi Semihollow LP modded for minihumbuckers

2. Hagstrom Deluxe F

• Members

I've got an old ESP strat that I'll always keep. I've even discussed with the other half that no matter what, that guitar stays :D I've never seen another quite the same.

My APX5 acoustic also stays, its nice to play but I have so so many memories with it.

Aside these two, I've bought and sold a few more expensive or 'special' guitars, but these two are my keepers!

• Members

I fall in and out of love with my pre-upgrade H1 strat. It was "the only guitar I'll ever need!" when I bought it. A year later I thought of selling it. I've had it 5 years now and even though it spends long stretches of time in the closet it's definitely a keeper.

The Artcore AFS75 I bought last year was a totally different story. I loved everything about it...but...i dunno, I just didn't bond with it somehow. It's the strangest thing. I still can't say one negative thing about it, but after a few months it was back on CL.

• Members

3 of them. I needed to raise some fast cash to help refinance my house last year and that's the only reason I flipped them.

I've since replaced them all and to be honest they were all 'upgrades' as far as price is concerned, but only one of them is really hands down better than the original one it replaced.

• Members

Up to this point, I had zero keepers...

I started playing guitar when I was 10, that was in 1972, a Teisco ordered out of a JCPenny catalog. I even "gigged" it at our elementary school christmas concerts..:) I graduated to an Epiphone 335 copy made by Matsumoku in the 7th grade, I believe the model was an EA-250, and played this guitar until my sophomore year, when for whatever reason my interest waned and I quit playing. Sadly, I cannot recall where either of these guitars ended up.

I was still involved in music however, as I ended up running lights and basically stage managing a local rock band during my junior and senior years at high school. We even opened a few times for a semi successful Seattle band "Rail"

Then at the ripe old age of 22 or so I started playing again and my weapon of choice was again Matsumoku made....A Vantage X-88. I loved that guitar, played effortlessly, coil split humbuckers, extremely versatile. Got call from a friend who's band needed a guitarist quick, auditioned one night and was in...had a couple weeks to learn a ton of oldies and top 40, and I was off to lounge mediocrity for a couple years. Picked up a few other axes along the way during this period...Washburn strat copy..A real no name Explorer copy...Seville I think it was, none of these stuck, still loved the Vantage.

Well, as it happens, I got engaged, didn't think the band was a good fit for a new marriage, and sold off everything. But, my younger brother 5 years my junior had picked up guitar, much like I did at a young age, I like to think I had something to do with that, taking him and his friend to 3 Judas Priest concerts while they were in high school :thu:

Back to the original point of the thread...My brother hounded me relentlessly over the years to get back into playing, he went away to college on a basketball scholarship, but eventually came back to the area, settled and went to work, never letting up on his insistence that I start playing guitar again. He never let go of a single piece of music gear that he had acquired. Including my old Vantage.

Now for the crap part of the story....My brother passed away unexpectedly at work last March...the person who got me back into playing finally, regular friday nite jams at his place.....

He had 9 guitars, one bass guitar, many amps and various cabs, recording gear, too much to list, he was a very proficient player, he never played live, but he was 2 days from signing on his first house, which had a huge practice space, and I think I had him talked into a hobby band....

I have 7 of his guitars and all of his other gear, He got to own his dream guitar, a Hamer Standard Custom that he ordered from Willcutt Guitars....

He kept the Vantage, although I don't think he ever considered it his, he would bring it over and leave it and an old peavey SS amp for me, hoping I would pick it up.

So, as far as keepers.......now I have at least 7 that I will never let go.

• Members

I still have all of my keepers. I have sold many guitars that would be keepers for someone else because I've never really had a dog but some are keepers and some are not regardless of equal quality. That's the way I am, I suppose that keepers are more for sentimental reasons because I have only really had great guitars.

But I've seen a lot of people say "this is a keeper" and then they have it for sale!!

Archived