What Are Your Favorite Guitar Electronic Mods?

Elias Graves

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch (4-way rotary) in place of middle tone knob on a Strat. Other knob is converted to master tone. Gives me regular Strat functionality in position 10, with the other three rotary positions yielding six additional pickup combinations -- several of which I use regularly. The B+M in series position is especially handy for songs where a fatter bridge-humbucker-like sound is required, and the N+B+M in series position is pretty close to a neck-humbucker sound. The B+N in parallel position gives me a "virtual Tele," also.

Mod that I never use, OTOH: "out-of-phase" switch for middle pickup on a Strat.

• Members

Strat: Blender pot, master tone, treble bleed.

Opens it up, adds incredible versatility imo. I really love it, can get serious twang for a strat...
:love::thu:

Blender pot is cool. I don't use the blend much, but the master tone part of that is very helpful for an idiot like me.

I'd say "50's wired" tone pots, and a linear pot for a tele tone knob are my favorites.

• Members

On Gibson style, I take off the washer that says "rhythm and treble".

Strats, I wire either a bridge tone or a master tone for all the pickups.

On a lot of humbucker guitars, if I swap the pickups out, I put a bridge pickup in the neck. I like that extra "umph".

• Members

Strat: Push pull pot for Bridge + Neck as well as all 3 pickups together.

Tele: 4-way mod switch for both in series along with a Torres super mid range in the tone control

Les Paul type: 5-way PRS in place of 3-way, to add coil splitting options. If pickups are high gain, 1-meg tone pots for greater tonal range.

In general, I like having a mid range boots/cut in place of the tone control (occasionally a bass boost like reverend offer's is pretty good too), coil splitting options with humbuckers, and no-load volume pots on strat's and tele's. I do more or less the entire spectrum of mods, but this is what i personally like.

Archived