What Are Your Favorite Guitar Electronic Mods?

Elias Graves

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the idea of the "blower" switch on the Guthrie Govan Suhr. No matter where you're at - hit it and it sets you on the bridge pickup with volume and tone knobs removed from the circuit.

A.K.A a holy {censored}! switch. As far as GFS mod boards, Artec has been building them for years. My guess is they are one & the same. Just cheaper thru Artec. No I haven't tried one. Yet.

• Members

on 2 hb guitars w/ only 1 volume control : I like to remove the 3 way PU selector & replace it with a "blender" control

like this :

I like this idea... What value pot do you use? The same as what the vol/tone pots are or different?

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_blendpots.htm

• Members

Anybody installed a GFS modboard?

EG

I have. I got the 3 band EQ with gain boost, and i put it in a Hohner Gold-top copy I have. I personally like it, mainly because the pickups I have in it are far to bassy for me, so i like to balance it out with a little treble. The gain works alright as well. I'm thinking of trying the "Exciter" in the future, but I'll buy it from Artec instead this time

• Members

I'm pretty interested in that mid boost mod for a strat. Who makes a good mod board for it?

Torres engineering has a very good passive boost/cut for $14 and is very east to install. If you have to have an active preamp though, take a look at the Artec ones.

• Members

Lotsa people offer blend pots. Stewmac and others. I'm thinking of installing one on a new build.

Thanks for the Artec tip. I just picked up a GFS distortion unit for the new build as well. We'll see how it goes.

EG

I think what I was looking for was technically a 'pan' pot, the ability to move from the full bridge to mix to full neck. I did a bit of research and it's sort of tricky. A strat syle blender will not allow either just bridge OR just neck.

A pan pot seems okay, but from what I've read because the pots are in parallel the effective resistance goes down and you can lose highs. Plus I'm not even sure you get full output of the pickups at the 5 position.

I'm still trying to learn more, but I think I'm just going to add another volume pot. The guitar is a PRS SE Soapbar, and I really like the sound of P90's at 100% bridge with the neck rolled back just a bit (in the middle position).

• Members

That's what I'm terming a pan pot, or at least a panning application. Some info here that kind of makes sense to me...

I see what you're getting at. I'm setting up P90s, which often get 300k pots. If I run a 500 volume and a 500 pan, I get 250. That would probably work. Still thinking about what I'm gonna do.

Does anyone know if running through a switch has the same effect as running through a pot? I'm considering running a varitone type switch or maybe a high pass and a low pass filter with switches rather than a tone pot.

EG

Archived