Cheapest Gibson or Top Epiphone ?

SandroBoscaro

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying an electric guitar and I like the Les Paul sound and look.

I saw that there are now some Gibson Les Paul Studio (faded, worn, etc.) with a price very near to the one I could pay for one of the best Epiphone Les Paul so I'm wondering which is the best approach.

Some weeks ago I saw a demo by Dr. Epiphone, showing how

well built Epiphone Les Paul are and I was impressed, but you know, Gibson is always Gibson...

I'd like to hear some opinion as I'm not an expert about electric guitars (I played acoustic for many years, but rarely used an electric).

I did a search and found some infos, but the market is moving and there are always new models for both brands, so I'd like to have some opinion or comparison about the current state of the art for both brands.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If by 'top Epiphone' you mean the Elitist Les Pauls, they are excellent MIJ guitars that have more features than the lowest-priced Gibson Les Pauls.

If you're talking about the Epiphone Tributes, 59 reissues, or Slash models, you should go with the Gibson. Those models are made in Korea or China and Epiphone is notoriously opaque about listing the correct specs on them. For instance, the Tribute and 59 are listed as having 'Gibson USA' pickups...but that doesn't necessarily mean 'Gibson made in the USA' pickups....

• Members

A good Epi isn't laminate (but a zoot suit Gibson is) so...

An Epi tribute or Masterbuit will have the full maple cap whereas a Gibby faded is all mahogany. Those will sound different. A regular Epi LP only has a maple veneer so it's more in line with the faded in terms of construction.

All the Epis except Masterbuilts and 59 Tributes use lesser pickups, hardware and such.

If your priority is looks and bling, the Epi gives you more for the money. If you're after better wood and guts, the Gibson wins.

I have a couple of Epis and like them fine but I have spent money on upgrades. When you combine the price of the Epi with the cost of upgrades, you could have had a pretty nice Gibson.

EG

• Members

I have an Epi LP custom which I guess is fairly high up the epi tree (discounting the elites)

It's a fine guitar and features a long neck tenon and (with the upgrade of some gibson pickups) sounds great and plays well.

I'd swap it for a studio in a heartbeat. The gibsons I have played have just been plain better. don't listen to the Gibson QC trolls, head out to a store and play as many as you can. I'd aim for a gloss studio if you can, but the fadeds are pretty nice and have the same electronics as the standard

• Members

gibson_les_paul_studio_vintage_mahogany_

Having played this Faded Studio LP for quite a bit I'd definitely at least go and try low-end Gibsons. Apart from Melody Makers this is I guess as cheap as Gibsons get. With the exception of a really bad nut it was a great guitar in every way, right out of the box.

• Members

Thanks guys,

I think that this chat was useful, as usual, to understand better what I wanted to hear because the answer was already inside me. :D

I think I'll go for a Gibson.

I surely will give a try to the Faded, but I already know that the evil guys in the shop will have me trying a Custom and then drooling for it. :facepalm:

• Members

I have a couple SGs:

Gibson Goth II

Gibson Faded

Epiphone Walnut

In my opinion, the Epi has the best craftmanship of the three but the Goth plays the best. Ended up putting Alumitones in the Faded and Walnut and both are quite comparable in sound.

Gibson - maybe better resale but I doubt it New $700 used $550

Epiphone - New $400 used $250

• Members

For me it came down to price and looks. I don't like the looks of studios (no binding or in some cases dot inlays instead of the trap inlays). For me to get the same model Gibson would have been 5x the price I paid for the EPI. I can easily afford the Gibson but the prices are more than a little outrageous. 3x the price I could see not 5x.

• Members

gibson_les_paul_studio_vintage_mahogany_

Having played this Faded Studio LP for quite a bit I'd definitely at least go and try low-end Gibsons. Apart from Melody Makers this is I guess as cheap as Gibsons get. With the exception of a really bad nut it was a great guitar in every way, right out of the box.

I would go low end gibson all day. Although High end epiphones are good. Gibsons have better resale value and they are typically still better quality wise.

• Members

I like my Epi just fine, but it IS a sub-$300 guitar (used). If I were looking to spend $750-$1000 I'd go Gibson for a couple reasons. They have some good deals on the lower-range stuff right now, and they will definitely hold their price better. Unless you can score an Elitist. But, y'know, try a bunch and see what FEELS best, because the sound part can be fixed later (usually).

As always, YMMV.

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying an electric guitar and I like the Les Paul sound and look.

I saw that there are now some Gibson Les Paul Studio (faded, worn, etc.) with a price very near to the one I could pay for one of the best Epiphone Les Paul so I'm wondering which is the best approach.

Some weeks ago I saw a demo by Dr. Epiphone, showing how

well built Epiphone Les Paul are and I was impressed, but you know, Gibson is always Gibson...

I'd like to hear some opinion as I'm not an expert about electric guitars (I played acoustic for many years, but rarely used an electric).

I did a search and found some infos, but the market is moving and there are always new models for both brands, so I'd like to have some opinion or comparison about the current state of the art for both brands.

Thanks in advance

If you won't be (truly) happy unless it says "Gibson" on the headstock then the answer has already been given.

Buy the guitar YOU want and can afford. If you cannot afford it yet but can wait a bit before buying it, do so.

If you are buying new don't pick the Gibson only because "It holds its value better". It will still lose 30% or so of its new price, probably more if you have to sell in a hurry. :facepalm:

If you don't believe that, look around for a used one. Look on MusiciansFriend.com at their used Gibsons. If they are selling a used LP for 75% or so of the new price you can bet they only gave someone 40%-50% of new value in trade. If you are buying as an investment then do it right and find someone who is in trouble and HAS to sell their LP today. Pick it up cheap and sell it at no loss, maybe even a bit of profit, later. :cop:

Bottom line, if you want a Gibson (and there's nothing wrong with that!) then buy one. If the name doesn't mean anything then find the guitar that has the features you want, the playability you want and the sound you want and buy it regardless of the name. :thu:

Archived