Cheapest Gibson or Top Epiphone ?

SandroBoscaro

• Members

it's all subjective. Obviously if it felt clunky to you, I can't tell you it didn't but from everything I've read, the vast majority of people like the fadeds quite a bit.

And I don't understand what you mean by clunky. The only difference between the fadeds and the others is the maple cap. The fadeds have a mahogany cap. Not sure how that can make a guitar feel clunky. But if it felt like that to you...then it did...

the guitar just felt cheap - clunky finish - you can feel the mahogany bumps on the neck and the guitar feels cheap compared to like an Agile at the price of $199.00.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's important to look at re-sale value and Gibson wins hands down, although the Epi Elitists are doing well too.

That's kind of an example of false economy. You put out a greater investment, for the guitar and are paying for the name. The resale value is almost the same percent if you consider the difference price. The Gibson may go up in value over several years if you wait long enough but then so may the Epi but not at the same rate. I say buy what you like, and enjoy it.

• Members
Feature-Chambered-Body.jpg

chambered_les_paul.jpg

once again, same as an expensive gibson.

and not sure what you mean about me trying to save face about anything. You very clearly implied that the non chambered cheaper guitar is better than the chambered more expensive guitar because of the chambering. I called you on it and pointed out that almost all current gibson LPs are chambered, so by your logic, a cheap non chambered epi is better than an expensive gibson.

The one with a skewed view of what makes one guitar better than another is you.

• Members

once again, same as an expensive gibson.

and not sure what you mean about me trying to save face about anything. You very clearly implied that the non chambered cheaper guitar is better than the chambered more expensive guitar because of the chambering. I called you on it and pointed out that almost all current gibson LPs are chambered, so by your logic, a cheap non chambered epi is better than an expensive gibson.

The one with a skewed view of what makes one guitar better than another is you.

Once again, read past the poster's name.

Since you are so hell bent on saying that a $3000+ Gibson is the same as a $900 Gibson and both are better than a lower costing Epiphone, you may want to read the whole article that this quote has come from:

Gibson claims that through

• Members

ok, enough with the implications because it's really getting almost impossible to understand what you're trying to say.

What exactly are you trying to say about chambering? Would you rather have an unchambered epiphone or a chambered gibson?

All he really did was point out that a difference between an epi and a cheap gibson (the point of the thread) is that the cheap gibson is chambered - which some people may or may not like.

Admittedly his last post including that link seems to imply that he doesnt like chambering, but all he did previously was state a fact...

I personally think that chambering is cool, dont like heavy guitars and it makes me feel like I own a semi hollow :lol:, plus I dont see how strategically hollowing out a guitar is a step back from randomly drilling holes into it...

It also makes the guitar acoustically louder and doesnt seem to have a major affect on sustain anyway... I think sustain is overrated anyway, if it was really the be all and end all of guitar playing then everyone would own lucite guitars with EMGs and have compressor pedals...

• Members

ok, enough with the implications because it's really getting almost impossible to understand what you're trying to say.

What exactly are you trying to say about chambering? Would you rather have an unchambered epiphone or a chambered gibson?

1) I'm not implicating anything. You are the one jumping to conclusions - that is why it is impossible for you to understand me. Your pre-defined conclusions are getting in the way of logic and understanding.

2) As far as what I am saying about chambering: Gibsons are chambered while Epiphpone are not chambered.

3) Every time I get an urge to buy a Les Paul, I go to the shop and try one out (Epiphone and Gibson) only to realize why I don't have one - I don't like the neck heel.

• Members
1) I'm not implicating anything. You are the one jumping to conclusions - that is why it is impossible for you to understand me. Your pre-defined conclusions are getting in the way of logic and understanding.

2) As far as what I am saying about chambering: Gibsons are chambered while Epiphpone are not chambered.

3) Every time I get an urge to buy a Les Paul, I go to the shop and try one out (Epiphone and Gibson) only to realize why I don't have one - I don't like the neck heel.

So you.... do like chambering?

:lol:

• Members

Wow, I did not expect so many answers ! :eek:
I thank you all guys, I really appreciated all contributes, included the funny ones.
Reading all the answer in this thread and on the same thread I opened in other forums I have now a more clear view, and:

1) If I'd go for an Epi I'd probably keep drooling for a Gibson, as that is the imprinting I had since I was a child. That's a fact that has nothing to do with technical facts, it's just a gut thing, but is real and strong.

2) If I'd go for a low level Gibson, probably I'll be in the same situation as my heart aim to a LP Custom.

3) So I decided to try a different way and follow some of the advice I received in this and other forums: I'll go for a cheaper guitar that is not a Gibson clone, that would allow me to progress on the path of electric guitar, so that when the moment will come to aim for a superior axe, I'll be able to evaluate better my real needs (and in the meantime gather some money...) I think the most probable choice could be a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, that I can order from UK for 299

• Members

Giving up on my Epiphone. I tried and tried to like it. Got it set up and fret leveled, everything. It's been detrimental to my learning and playing because it's just so frustrating to play.

Gave it another shot last night and my wife asked me basically why I sucked now. Told her I was getting frustrated with the guitar so she told me to get the other one which is a Squire sort of LP clone which I got for $200. In 10 minutes I was playing like a pro again. Neck is flat as it can be, action really low with not a buzz on any of the frets. It's never been professionally set up. The Epiphone cost me 3x that plus a $100 set up and plays terrible. Both are MIK so I don't know what the deal is. Live and learn.

I am in the market for a Gibson LP but one thing is for damn sure -- I ain't buying a guitar until I've played it in the store and tried several others. Much less a $2000+ one. Plus it ain't what you pay it's how it plays.

• Members

3) So I decided to try a different way and follow some of the advice I received in this and other forums: I'll go for a cheaper guitar that is not a Gibson clone, that would allow me to progress on the path of electric guitar, so that when the moment will come to aim for a superior axe, I'll be able to evaluate better my real needs (and in the meantime gather some money...) I think the most probable choice could be a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, that I can order from UK for 299

Archived