Cheapest Gibson or Top Epiphone ?

SandroBoscaro

• Members

Once you put it out there on the internet, you are never allowed to change your mind as far as a troll is concerned. They will try to pick a part every single post you make for the rest of your forum life...

I have a few of those here on here - at least I think it is a few since I never look at the poster's name unless I am answering directly without a quote.

If this guy truly was a "lurker" he wouldn't come out of hiding just to troll this post. You're right...in a troll's mind, you can never change an opinion...which is lame. If he could read the very thread he posted, he'd have his answer. That's what tells me this is a troll post. Whatever...back to the topic? :thu:

I went for a used Epi...added some Gibson 57 Classics...looks and plays fantastic!

DSCF0157.jpg

DSCF5172.jpg

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Epis look better than any Gibson Studio models and are constructed pretty much the same except the finish.

The low end Gibsons are basically overpriced Epis anyways.

I have a couple of Epis that I like, but I also have several Gibsons that I like.

• Members

I find the "guitar I'd still like to own 40 years from now" stuff pretty funny. Why not just buy what plays and sounds the best to you right now? Of course, if you're trying to justify spending $2500+ on a guitar, versus $600 on an Epi...maybe you need that argument.
:idk:
I don't buy the lie that Gibsons are far superior instruments to an Epi, Edwards, etc. With a few mods (primarily a pickup change), you can have a guitar that plays just as well, and sounds just as good as a Gibson. If the Gibson were only a few hundred more, it might be worth it so you don't have to mess with with a pup swap. However, for several thousand dollars...you'd be hard pressed to find that much difference in the two...and believe me, I tried. Ended up buying the Epi...and have not regretted it once. But hey, you wanna spend the money, go right ahead...

Gee, hmm. Let me think about that...

maybe, I don't like throwing my hard earned money away on stuff cheaply made that wont last a while

maybe i'm not some gear whore who has to constantly 'chase tone' and/or inflate my ego by constantly buying and selling guitars to win some imaginary pissing contest.

and maybe, just maybe, the concept of having a guitar i've owned for a large portion of my adult life to pass on to my kids is a {censored}ing cool idea.

• Members

well having read all that I have an 89 Epi Custom that I've had for 21 years, it hasn't failed me on numerous club tours, travelling to Japan and back a couple of times. It has more than proven it's road worthiness.

My favorite guitar on earth is my 97 Orville, I bought new in Japan at Yamano's and have abused it on the road for 13 years now, it is better than my Gibsons without a doubt.

My Gibsons are great guitars but are still too new to be proven commodities.

• Members

Gee, hmm. Let me think about that...

maybe, I don't like throwing my hard earned money away on stuff cheaply made that wont last a while

maybe i'm not some gear whore who has to constantly 'chase tone' and/or inflate my ego by constantly buying and selling guitars to win some imaginary pissing contest.

and maybe, just maybe, the concept of having a guitar i've owned for a large portion of my adult life to pass on to my kids is a {censored}ing cool idea.

Then git 'r dun bro...:thu:

If that's what you wanna do, go for it. You don't have to agree with my take on it...it's simply an opinion...:) And for what it's worth...my Epi isn't cheaply made...;)

• Members

My first electric was an Epi Les Paul, but I sold it after I got my first Strat. I now have two Gibson Les Pauls, a Studio and a Standard, and there really is no comparison in build quality, sound, etc. The Gibsons are so much better. :thu:

• Members

Well, in the end that's what I did:

I went to a big guitar shop where I could try Gibson, Epi, Dean and Michael Kelly.

The Les Paul Standard and Traditional I tried were wonderful, but of course a lot over my initial budget. I did not like the LP Studio I tried and neither the Epi standard (as I said I'm a beginne r with electric, but I played acoustic for years, so I probably judged more the neck feeling, the playability and the general look&feel than the pups' work).

I was impressed by the MK Patriot Custom. The neck is wonderful, the finishing is nice, no cheap feel.

They asked 600

• Members

Thanks guys, I really like her !
:love:

Hand Amputation:

That's really a nice one. Well, who knows, GAS is always coming back...
:D

Benvenuto a HC!

Congrats on the new guitar!

And since you posted photos of your new axe, this is our custom here on EG...

nudes1.jpg

Archived