Cheapest Gibson or Top Epiphone ?

SandroBoscaro

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

3. I don't lke the feel or the weight of the low end Gibson's - Studio models are not in the same league as far as quality goes with the Agile or Epiphone.

OP, don't listen to this man. The faded studios may be differrent, but if you can find a gloss studio (and their are plenty of em about) you get a guitar that is every bit as nice as a standard.

In fact, post early 90's up to 2002, they were identical to the standards in every way except binding.

Not that the faded's arn't nice guitars, thay just feel a little different

• Members
Tokai
/Edwards

Epi Elitist

Low End Gibson

High End Epi

these would be my choices

Do you rate Tokais that highly based on personal experience, or by the general opinion on this board?

Ive tried a bunch of Tokais out and I wouldnt have bought any of them as some had some big issues and even the good ones didnt seem that great :idk:

I have a normal LP studio (with the maple cap) and its an awesome guitar, in fact all of the ones i have tried out have always sounded fantastic. Just look out for the fretwork on cheap gibsons because they really seem to skimp on it - although ive noticed a lot of the brand new ones look as though they have been plekked...

• Members

Do you rate Tokais that highly based on personal experience, or by the general opinion on this board?

Ive tried a bunch of Tokais out and I wouldnt have bought any of them as some had some big issues and even the good ones didnt seem that great
:idk:

I have a normal LP studio (with the maple cap) and its an awesome guitar, in fact all of the ones i have tried out have always sounded fantastic. Just look out for the fretwork on cheap gibsons because they really seem to skimp on it - although ive noticed a lot of the brand new ones look as though they have been plekked...

Mostly on general opinion I'd say, as I only had one Tokai (ES-120)..

• Members

For the most part, Japan has put the out best Les Pauls of the last 20 years.

Me and my 68 reissue (also on behalf of the many fine instruments I played when shopping for her) would like to respecfully disagree.

Japanese made guitars can be great (my fujiken made s series is all kinds of awesome), but the web rumours of gibsons decline are greatly exaggerated and with the possible exceptions of small run master luthiers, my experience is that gibson still make the best les paul, particularly the historic range

• Members

.... Studio models are not in the same league as far as quality goes with the Agile or Epiphone.

Correct. They are not in the same league. The gibson studios are far superior to the epiphones. Can't speak for the agiles because I've never played one but the gibson studios are better than epis.

And even the occasionally derided studio faded worn series is better than the epis. I have one of each. My epi has been hanging on my wall as a decoration since I got the gibson.

I continue to stand by what I said earlier. Go with the gibson. The studio faded is a great guitar.

• Members

Id go for the epiphone myself. Unless your going to get one of the few Gibsons that doesnt have nitro finish and your willing to change the pups if you dont like them as well as your current fave pups. And your willing to examine and try several before picking best of the lot.

• Members

I Don't believe this thread and besides I hate Bigsby's - they suck too!!

gibson_les_paul_studio_vintage_mahogany_

Having played this Faded Studio LP for quite a bit I'd definitely at least go and try low-end Gibsons. Apart from Melody Makers this is I guess as cheap as Gibsons get. With the exception of a really bad nut it was a great guitar in every way, right out of the box.

• Members

again played and not a fan of the Studio fadeds - they seem klunky

Correct. They are not in the same league. The gibson studios are far superior to the epiphones. Can't speak for the agiles because I've never played one but the gibson studios are better than epis.

And even the occasionally derided studio faded worn series is better than the epis. I have one of each. My epi has been hanging on my wall as a decoration since I got the gibson.

I continue to stand by what I said earlier. Go with the gibson. The studio faded is a great guitar.

• Members

again played and not a fan of the Studio fadeds - they seem klunky

it's all subjective. Obviously if it felt clunky to you, I can't tell you it didn't but from everything I've read, the vast majority of people like the fadeds quite a bit.

And I don't understand what you mean by clunky. The only difference between the fadeds and the others is the maple cap. The fadeds have a mahogany cap. Not sure how that can make a guitar feel clunky. But if it felt like that to you...then it did...

• Members
so if chambered body vs non chambered body is the mark of a superior guitar, by your logic

cheap non-chambered epi > expensive chambered gibson

Cool!
:facepalm:

It's your logic since I never said such a thing.

I was only pointing out the difference between the two :facepalm:

• Members

I can only say from owning an Epi Standard Plus LP and an older Gibson Studio. Both were setup perfectly and I had installed Gibson 57 and 57 Plus in both. The Epi had all it's electronics upgraded and a brass nut

A similar Epi and Gibson to what I had will run you about $550 and around $1000 respectively. The set of Gibson pickups were around $200 for each guitar, so total comparison costs would be $750 and $1200

The Studio had a very thick maple top on it and was an anniversary issue that came with an Ebony fretboard. The Epi as always was made from a mystery wood sandwich and had a Rosewood board. The Studio was the classic wine red and the Epi a very nice tobacco burst. The Epi was "prettier".

Both guitars sounded, played and felt very good and were pretty much interchangeable. I had a friend plug into a Dr. Z and alternate between both guitars while I stepped outside the room and listened. I couldn't distinguish between them at all and neither could he when we switched places.

IMO, it's just not worth paying the extra $450 for the Gibson name brand. I realize the name brand is important to many so if you just have that headstock, pull out another $500 from your wallet. Keep in mind though you can pick up a pretty nice used tube amp for $500

• Members

Of the Gibson Faded Studio guitars I've played - quite a few Les Pauls, SGs and Vs - I'm kind of uncomfortable with how widely the quality seems to vary. Played a V with mile-high action and poor pickups, a brand new faded LP with sharp fret ends, etc. That said, some of them have been great-feeling pieces of gear, if a little light and lacking in the pickup department.

I've also played a few Elite/Elitist Les Pauls, and they've all been great. Heavy, like a Les Paul should be, and very nice craftsmanship. That said, I've played fewer of them than faded Gibsons, so it's entirely possible that there are some real dogs out there.

Point is, I'm really convinced that, if you want a great guitar, you should ALWAYS try before you buy. Sometimes a specific guitar just has the right magic, and that magic can't be guaranteed by a name on the headstock.

• Members

The only Epi I kept out of many purchased was a 52 gold top. Perfect. Gave it to my daughter and she {censored}ing pawned it with the hard shell case. As a Fender and Martin collector I have recently bought a Gibson Les Paul Jr and am totally satisfied with it. Just ordered a Melody Maker. I read all this {censored} about if it sounds good buy it. True, BUT...if you are young don't {censored} with all of the off brand crap that is on the market now. Like the Peavy T's. They should be selling for far more than they are. I am just speaking as a collector. My first LP Studio fell apart real quick. I was pissed at Gibson's for a long time but it is true, the only guitar's that increase in value are the true blue American brands. Fender, Gibson, Martin, and now PRS, not to leave out Gretsch and Guild if they are made in America.

• Members

I stopped into the music store today to pick up stuff for tonights gig and played some guitars off the wall for a while. One I pulled down was a Gibson Les Paul Standard and played some riffs and licks for about 5 minutes - it felt NO different than my Epiphone LP Standard at home. I mean NO different at all. Granted it wasn't plugged in so I'm not commenting on the sound of the electronics (which is moot as all the electrnics in my Epi have been replaced anyway.)

I owned a Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty many years ago, and my memory told me there IS a difference in feel from the Gibson to the Epi, but NOT $3000 difference. Today I found the difference between an $1800 Gibson Standard and a $500 Epi Standard was nothing more than the shape of the headstock and the name inlaid on it (ok and the electronics) - and that just ain't worth $1300 to me.

Again, the guitars may feel differently in your hands - everybody is different. To the OP, go try a few Epis and a few Gibsons and see what YOU think.

Admission: Having said all that though, if I win the lottery this weekend, my house will be so full of Gibson Les Pauls it would make Joe Perry jealous LOL.

Archived