Cheapest Gibson or Top Epiphone ?

SandroBoscaro

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're in a similar position to me (except my epi's black and my gibbies a reissue)

I found, much as the epi is a fine solid player that sounds pretty good, it feels like a completely differrent animal to the gibby and there are more constructional changes than you'd expect.

Does that tie in with your experience?

• Members

A zoot suit is!!!? I think I just died a little inside. I wanted one of those soooo bad.

It's not a typical laminate; each colored stripe in the body is an individually dyed strip of wood. All the strips are then all glued together to make the body. That seems very unnatural to me.

• Members

I'm finding that aftre a lifetime of not liking LP Customs, they're seriously whetting my appetite...I'm sooooo weak

Have you kept all your Epis Coops?

Well....... back a couple years ago when I started adding Gibsons to my collection, I sold a few Epis....... but I've kept all the rest and I still gig with 'em and play 'em all the time. Including the cherry sunburst Custom Plus in that pic. :)

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying an electric guitar and I like the Les Paul sound and look.

I saw that there are now some Gibson Les Paul Studio (faded, worn, etc.) with a price very near to the one I could pay for one of the best Epiphone Les Paul so I'm wondering which is the best approach.

Some weeks ago I saw a demo by Dr. Epiphone, showing how

well built Epiphone Les Paul are and I was impressed, but you know, Gibson is always Gibson...

I'd like to hear some opinion as I'm not an expert about electric guitars (I played acoustic for many years, but rarely used an electric).

I did a search and found some infos, but the market is moving and there are always new models for both brands, so I'd like to have some opinion or comparison about the current state of the art for both brands.

Thanks in advance

Forget the brands.

Play both of them. Hell, play every Les Paul type guitar you can get your hands on and let your hands and ears determine which to buy, not the brand.

Choosing which guitar to buy solely on the brand name is like choosing a wife based on what country she is from. Ridiculous right? It's all about the individual woman... I mean guitar. Find the one that's right for you... women too.

:thu:

• Members

Hope its not too late to chime in.

1. Depends on what you are doing with it and where you want to go.

2. I am not a fan of the Epiphone headstock and think the Agile AL3000 is not a "low end" Gibson sister guitar that the Epi is - its just a single cut that copies the Gibson. BUT - at $389.00 new you won;t get your money back - you'll lose $30-80.00 when you sell it.

3. I don't lke the feel or the weight of the low end Gibson's - Studio models are not in the same league as far as quality goes with the Agile or Epiphone.

so, Michael Kelly, Agile, and PRS SE Single cuts all make good single cut guitars that'll give you look and tone you are searching for that are not the "low end" or cheaper brand name versions of the Gibson.

Lastly - find a used Les Paul Standard for about the cost of a studio and get what you really want.

• Moderators

For the most part, Japan has put the out best Les Pauls of the last 20 years.

Hmm, I'm a huge fan of MIJ Pauls, but I still think a GOOD Gibson is on a par with the best high end MIJs, but when the good Japanese factories build their best LPs they are hard to beat, but they also ask top price for them, :idk:

For consistency the MIJs win though, hands down

Archived