What kind of gear do your local bands play?

Electric Monk

• Members

Here in southern NH, hardcore is the name of the game. But this doesn't always mean detuned, screaming garbage - and the choice in guitars is surprising, too. Last night I saw Might (who are fantastic, http://www.myspace.com/mighttheband) and was surprised to find the guitarist playing a Danelectro and a '52 Hot Rod Tele. And the bassist's Rickenbacker :love:

Granted, there's more than our fair share of low-tuned schecters and ESP's, but it seems like vintagey gear is making a resurgence around here.

What's the local scene like in your area, and what kind of gear is popular? Do the choices fit the norm for the music?

• Members

Charlotte, NC - You basically have metal and pop/punk. Not trashing either, but whenever you try playing metal with: Epiphone LP 100 and a line 6 spider III half stack, I will laugh at you. (bigger bands in Charlotte have used these.)

Any huge band from charlotte/greensboro for metal usually uses Ibanez S prestige (or RG), Peavey 6505+, Mesa Cabs.

Now for pop punk, a lot of kids are going the better route; Marshall JCM 2000 DSL + 1960a cabs, Gibson SG faded. -- usually what we see around here

• Members

Rock/Metal is still the biggest imo here in the Det. area. Followed by Blues,Country,Jazz,show bands,etc......

Ive seen a lot of local Rock and Metal acts as my own cover band has played with them as well.

The amount of gear some guys bring is staggering at times.

I see a lot of the Egnater varieties and they sound great across genres and then some.

Highlights for me were Seeing, hearing the Bogner XTC full stack as well as a 3 amp rig consisiting of a Mesa Mark IV,Rockerverb and a Fender Super Sonic

all up close and personal.

One guy in a really good Sabbath cover band had a Rack with nearly 15 pieces in it for his main amp (VHT,Line6,Marshall,TC,etc......)

I actually enjoy seeing all the gear in action nearly as much as playing.

• Members

I have seen Line6 stuff a lot, and it almost always disappoints me. I did see a guy recently that used a Bogner Line6 head, and he sounded pretty good.

Guitar-wise, it's usually Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Epiphone, and Schecter. I did see a Dano and a Dean last night, however.

• Members

around here I see LOTS of Marshall - from MG stacks in the young bands, to Valvestate in the intermediate bands to DSL/JCM/JVMs with the bigger bands where you also see Boogies now and again as well. The blooze bands are still usuing Fenders of course. I've seen a Bogner pop up as well as couple of Peavey Valvekings. I also saw a Nirvana clone with the Cobain guy running through Peavey Vypyr combo and to my recollection, I've only seen one band in town running Line 6 stuff - a pair of Spyder III full stacks.

As for guitars? You name it, it's being gigged here. From Gibson Les Pauls to Epiphone Les Pauls, From Squier Strats to Fender Strats, from ESP to LTD, from Dean Razorbacks to PRSs, from Warlocks to Washburn semi-hollowbodies, from First Acts to handmade guitars from a couple of local luthiers.

• Members

Im seeing a but load of Gibsons,Epiphones and Fenders. A few Prs's,Jacksons and Ibby's. Every now and then a Suhr or Anderson.

One guy had one of those better headless Steinbergers and that guitar sounded amazing

• Members

I saw two bands yesterday, one oldsters, one youngsters.

Oldsters: Fender Jazz through G/K stack, Fender Strat through Marshall tube half-stack, PRS through Dr. Z Ghia.

Youngsters: Fender Precision through some sort of combo, Peavey Wolfgang through Windsor amp with a 2x12 cab.

Both bands had keys and drums. Both drum kits were big. Only thing I noticed about the keys is their existence.

• Members

lots of fenders, epiphones, artcore, prs se...every now and then I will see a gibson...rarely do i see any rickenbackers, gretsch's...

I gig with epiphones...sherraton and les paul custom...and occasionally an american strat and american tele...none of these cost me more than $800 (used)

• Members

A lot of the bands around here are Country bands so you see lots of Peavey and Fender amps with Teles for electrics and the acoustics run the spectrum.

The rock bands tend to stick to the formula, high gain tube 1/2 stack with a good solid body two humbucker guitar, a lot of them Les Pauls or PRS.

It really depends on the level of seriousness that they put into the band as to what gear they have, the ones that are gigging all the time have better gear.

I use a Marshall JCM2000 1/2 or full stack depending on venue, Gibson Les Pauls, and an Epi LP Custom.

• Members

I usually use either a gothic SG or a Silverburst SG through a Marshall JCM900SLX. The other guitarist is all PRS through Mesa, I make fun of him for his lawyers rig all the time but it sounds good.

I am in the The Northern Mass, Southern NH area. I can't stand the hardcore scene but the music is OK. The racist douchbags and assholes starting fights at shows ruin for me. It's not about the music at a HC show ever. Great bands will play with {censored} bands and as long as there are the apropriate white power, or straightedge lyrics people will love it.

The sad thing there are usually a bunch of cool kids there to check it out, but there are always assholes there to ruin it. Almost always a few of them are in the bands too.

Ive been to a few too many and it's always the same. Old man rant over. Sorry.

• Members

Essex, UK - There are a lot of rock bands around here, everything from Alternative/Indie to Classic Rock to Full-On-Metal! I have noticed that most of the bands use Line 6 amps around here - I'v seen many Spiders and Valve Spiders in local clubs. I guess this is because they're cheap and versitile.

• Members

I see LOTS of Marshall - from MG stacks in the young bands, to Valvestate in the intermediate bands to DSL/JCM/JVMs with the bigger bands where you also see Boogies now and again as well. The blooze bands are still usuing Fenders of course. I've seen a Bogner pop up as well as couple of Peavey Valvekings. I also saw a Nirvana clone with the Cobain guy running through Peavey Vypyr combo and to my recollection, I've only seen one band in town running Line 6 stuff - a pair of Spyder III full stacks.

As for guitars? You name it, it's being gigged here. From Gibson Les Pauls to Epiphone Les Pauls, From Squier Strats to Fender Strats, from ESP to LTD, from Dean Razorbacks to PRSs, from Warlocks to Washburn semi-hollowbodies, from First Acts to handmade guitars from a couple of local luthiers.

Are you from Saskatoon, or Regina ?

Any good music stores in your province ?

I will call Saskatoon home one day and want to know what i am getting myself into, music wise.

Any info very welcome :thu:

• Members

the guitar player in my band plays a '53 esquire through a 60's vibrolux pretty much exclusively. but he records with a '55. bass player plays a fender american jazz bass through some fancy ass ampeg rig. my drums are ayotte customs, a sonor snare and paiste signature cymbals.

most of the bands we play with; the guitar players have vintage fenders and gretschs and i see the occasional trussart. seems everybody and his brother uses a vibrolux. most bass players i see are also playin jazz basses and ampeg rigs. other drummers around dig vintage ludwig {censored}. one house kit i played on that's owned by a prolific drummer that seems to play with everyone had a gorgeous sounding vintage slingerland snare.

we do it right in hollywood.

• Members

the guitar player in my band plays a '53 esquire through a 60's vibrolux pretty much exclusively. but he records with a '55. bass player plays a fender american jazz bass through some fancy ass ampeg rig. my drums are
ayotte customs
, a sonor snare and paiste signature cymbals.

most of the bands we play with; the guitar players have vintage fenders and gretschs and i see the occasional trussart. seems everybody and his brother uses a vibrolux. most bass players i see are also playin jazz basses and ampeg rigs. other drummers around dig vintage ludwig {censored}. one house kit i played on that's owned by a prolific drummer that seems to play with everyone had a gorgeous sounding vintage slingerland snare.

we do it right in hollywood.

Excellent choice! Great kits and Ray is a super nice guy. Wish more people knew about him and his drums.

• Members

Are you from Saskatoon, or Regina ?

Any good music stores in your province ?

I will call Saskatoon home one day and want to know what i am getting myself into, music wise.

Any info very welcome
:thu:

I grew up in Saskatoon - lived there for fifteen years. What's bringing you there?

For local music stores, I like St. John's, and Long & McQuade.

• Members

Essex, UK - There are a lot of rock bands around here, everything from Alternative/Indie to Classic Rock to Full-On-Metal! I have noticed that most of the bands use Line 6 amps around here - I'v seen many Spiders and Valve Spiders in local clubs. I guess this is because they're cheap and versitile.

Same area as me, pretty much. Lots of Les Pauls and Telecasters, the odd Strat and semi. Quite a few SG's, too. Line 6 and Marshall amps with the odd Vox seem to be commonplace. Pedals are nearly always of the Muff, CryBaby, digital delay variety, with some Boss dirtboxes.

If I go into London to see bands, the amps are nearly always Fenders (Hot Rods, mainly) or Marshall for some reason. Lots of Teles and Jazzmasters/Jags. I have no idea why location makes a difference, with the exception of the London-based bands being a bit more tech-oriented.

Generally speaking, the gear gets a little more obscure and interesting in distinct relation to how obtuse the guitarist's haircuts are.

• Members

This really depends on what age group you are in and what music you go for...

I run in a group of playing musicians that it is a Strat or nothing ..But we are all in the 35 to 50 age group and we all mostly play blues or classic rock...

The majority of them run some type of low gain tube amps with no effects at all accept maybe a Crybaby and tube screamer..

I run a 10 to 12 effect board and they look at me like im some kind of electronic genius with them saying they do not have enough patience to figure out how to set up all those pedals..

My roommate has been a working musician for 29 years now he has a Vintage Fender Jazz bass and some kind of Peavey amp and that is it..

The guitar player in his band has one Strat a Marshall combo tube amp and a crybaby and thats all..

So it is still pretty bland here in the old St Lou..

Archived