I'm officially the lead guitarist of a highschool band

Stricken

• Members

i never been in a band where someone plays rhythm and someone else plays lead almost exclusively. Always just shared parts, different people with different approaches to parts helps makee songs more interesting.

If I spoke to someone who refered to themself as a "lead" or "rhythm" guitarist I'd find it hard to take them seriously. If you can't do one well, you can't do the other well, it's impossible to play lead lines if you have no sense of rhythm or how a melody line will fit with the rhythm guitar.

• Members

i was in a high school rock band, once. People thought we were awesome, but really, we played easy cover songs that were hard to make sound bad.

That's the trick, easy songs that people like. Eventually you'll feel comfortable enough to move onto harder covers and original songs. Have fun! :thu:

• Members
Get ready to rawk!

Learn some scales, a few chords, get your vibrato happening and you'll be swimming in poontang in no time, son!

+1

Practice, practice, practice. Or you'll sound like this.

[YOUTUBE]x_M9zWORBuA[/YOUTUBE]

:D

• Members

At least half the kids in your band feel the same way about their instrument. I played flute in my school band for three years and never could figure out how to play the horrible thing, so just be happy that you get to play guitar and start practicing.

• Members
And I don't know jack {censored} about lead guitar. Or rythm guitar for that matter. Or music theory.
:freak:

Don't worry, when I was in H/S I didn't know anything about lead guitar or theory either but it didn't stop me from having a great time:thu:

• Members

I miss my HS rock band... one day we played iron man. Crowd stood up and started cheering right before the solo... part of me was like wow these people actually know iron man... and the other part was in heaven and of course some 12th fret plus+ wankery insued... :)

Would love to get back to that moment...

• Members

Do you mean like the high school jazz ensemble band or like a rock band? When I joined my first band in high school, I could barely play! In fact they couldn't find a bass player so I turned the bass on drummer's brothers amp up, treble down, and the tone to as much bass as possible on a Hondo II LP copy and weaseled my way in as a bass player. I then located a cheapo bass for $10 and a Peavey TNT for $75 a month or so later. I was in that band for 3 years, we recorded a demo, played parties several times a month and were the main band at the high school talent show my senior year. At the end of 3 years, I was a really good bass player and the band was tight as hell - we could play over 40 covers and had like 4 original tunes. Just me and the guitar player were the only original guys at the end, we upgraded whenever we could - but the singer was with us for over 2 years and the drummer for about a year and a half. We were going to take the band into the clubs after graduation, but a little incident with a green smoking substance caused the drummer's parents to make him quit the band and we never recovered and all went our own way that summer after graduation.

Let me give you some advice -- being in that band was some of the best times in my life, parties, chicks, etc. But it brought a lot of drugs around also (we were a metal band and this was in the early 80s). Even if you say you don't do them now, be careful, don't get caught up in it. We did and it wasn't a good thing - keep your head on straight, don't overly party, and learn your craft. I also had a steady girlfriend most of that time, bad idea lol, play the field a bit, high school girlfriends rarely amount to anything after graduation.

• Members

I also had a steady girlfriend most of that time, bad idea lol, play the field a bit, high school girlfriends rarely amount to anything after graduation.

This... I learned the hard way. I stayed with mine for 6 years (4 of which after high school). Big mistake...

• Members

It took about half the song to realize it was different audio over the vid... then I was on the floor
:lol:

This... I learned the hard way. I stayed with mine for 6 years (4 of which after high school). Big mistake...

I think when you are that young, any girl that's not a pig that gives you some attention is girlfriend material. Even though mine was cute and cool for most of the 2 solid years we were together (and some after school on and off I guess for another year almost), it wasn't going anywhere and I knew that - by the time we were 18 and 19 or maybe 19 and 20, we were 100% on the opposite page on everything. We even got engaged for a period of time, but I didn't want to marry her lol. And all the chicks I turned down because of her! Man, big regret. I tell all young guys I meet - don't get tied down in high school!

Archived