OT: would you back out of this deal?

PancakeBunny

• Members

I'm trying to buy a mic off someone on TGP and I can't get them to answer how soon after I send them the paypal they plan on shipping the mic.

I've asked several times.

"How soon after the paypal is sent will you be able to ship? What shipper will you use? And... how do I make the payment out? Under Purchase - Goods or Personal - ???"

I've never used paypal before. The seller just wants me to send the paypal to their email and go from there. I'm thinking... not so fast. He says "ASAP" and I want to know how soon is ASAP. I don't want to just give him my money and take him at his word.

• Members

Stop stressing out. It stresses me out and it's not worth it. I'm holding the mic for you, unless nothing happens by the end of the day on Friday. Just let me know when the funds are transferred.

Thanks

Mike

In response to the part I wrote earlier in quotes.

• Members

I wouldn't do it, even if it is just a $60 mic. It's a pretty simple rule for a seller to follow - don't be a db to someone who's buying from you.

Even if you might have come of as pushy(don't know if you did or not), he still doesn't need to act like that. Even if he has every intention of sending it out the minute he receives payment - no excuse to act like that.

If a seller blows off my questions and says, "Just pay me," they can peddle their crap to someone else.

There are fair deals all over the internet and the real world by normal, respectful, good people. If a seller can't be cordial or at least quasi-professional, no thanks. If I wanted to be treated rudely, I'd go to Guitar Center. ;)

Coming from someone who's sold more than bought on the internet. It's really not tough to not be a dick, most of the time.

• Members

The seller definitely should've answered the question and been nicer about it, but I understand where he's coming from regarding OP's apparent fussiness. The seller is likely not a retail shop, and expecting him to perform like one is asking for trouble; it's a mutual transaction, and if OP wants retail service, a return policy and a warm handshake, he can pay retail price. Either way, if things go south, OP is still covered by Paypal.

• Members

Simple question, simple answer, if he can't manage to do that than I don't trust him to be able to ship it to me. It's probably no big deal, but there are always those people out there that can't manage simple tasks or straight forward answers and I won't bother with them.

Imagine if something happened in transit trying to deal with this guy.

• Members

The seller definitely could've answered the question and been nicer about it, but I understand where he's coming from. He's likely not a retail shop, and expecting him to perform like one is asking for trouble; it's a mutual transaction, and if OP wants retail service, a return policy and a warm handshake, he can pay retail price. Either way, if things go south, OP is still covered by Paypal.

Disagree in this case just a bit.

It's not too hard to say "I'll ship by next friday at the latest with UPS, please use purchased goods option in paypal."

A lot easier than saying "dude, don't worry about it man, I got you covered, you're killin' my buzz, just send me the money....man"

• Members

Disagree in this case just a bit.

It's not too hard to say "I'll ship by next friday at the latest with UPS, please use purchased goods option in paypal."

A lot easier than saying "dude, don't worry about it man, I got you covered, you're killin' my buzz, just send me the money....man"

Agreed, and changed "could've" to "should've." I think there are some etiquette issues on both sides.

• Members

Well. Asking when he'd ship after receiving the paypal was the first thing I asked. He answered every question besides that one. He posted zero pictures. I don't even want to bother asking.

Bingo.

• Members

I've bought lots of things through both here and on craigslist over the mail.

You'd buy something from someone without ANY indication as to when they planned on shipping it to you? Without pictures? Without anything except "Yeah man it's cool send me my money."

This is essentially all the info he wants to give me.

Shoot me a PM when the PayPal is sent and I'll get it shipped ASAP.

I want to know a date because I want to be able to have evidence if I have to file a claim with paypal about undelivered goods. If he says he'll ship by X date and doesn't ship, I want to be able to back out. Does that seem unreasonable? Vaguely saying "I'll take care of it, don't worry!" opens me up to getting {censored}ed.

• Members

If I was the seller I'd back out. I think you'd be happier buying local...somewhere you can hand over the cash and they hand over the mic. Some people just aren't cut out for buying through the mails...

Ditto. The question on shipping was no big deal, but starting a thread about it screams 'fussy buyer.' At this point, for $60, the potential headache wouldn't be worth it.

• Members

Not a fussy buyer. The dude won't answer a simple, direct and relevant question. "UPS. Crazy work schedule, so by the end of the week. Following Tuesday at the latest." Done! Kinda funny the questions he won't answer are the ones the buyer would need to make a claim if the sale went south. Take a pass.

• Members

3 questions? When will you ship, who will you ship with, and how do you want to get paid... that's pretty basic information.

I agree. And as a seller I keep in good communication on the above topics. Nothing I hate more as a buyer then a uncommunicative seller once they have my money...

• Members

3 questions? When will you ship, who will you ship with, and how do you want to get paid... that's pretty basic information.

Yeah that is just basic business.

The seller and buyer are not buddies. Even if it is only a small amount of money these are basic questions that should be answered.

I would not do business with anyone (private party or retailer) that avoided answering any one of those simple questions.

I would pass on the deal without hesitation.

Archived