GFS LP kit for Zemmy - gonna have tons of pics

newbuilder

• Members

Yeah the joint is...was awful...that's part of the reason it took me so long to start. But alas, that sumbitch has been tamed.

The gap was "put both hands in and clap" big, and the routing around the neck and joint were not finished(ish), not a big deal if you have access to the type of workshop I was in today. But it was a three hour fix with sharp chisels and a big shim.

Here's were i have to say I'm sorry...I didn't take the camera and the next pics will be after the glue. The reason I am sorry is they would have been great pics, I worked with a Master Woodworker in his shop, I couldn't have paid to learn some of the things I learned tonight.

New knowledge is priceless, eh?

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah, he is a dear friend and has as much fun as I do.

If people at this point are waiting for a review of the kit as an entry level build, this is not that guitar. I think guitar noobie would second that the extra two hundred on a grizley kit is well worth the money for neck joint fit and overall quality.

That being said, we made it through the tough part and now we get to see what we can make it do. I will bet that this guitar will be a really cool guitar when were done. BG pups and Grovers are a good start.

• Members

If people at this point are waiting for a review of the kit as an entry level build, this is not that guitar. I think guitar noobie would second that the extra two hundred on a grizley kit is well worth the money for neck joint fit and overall quality.

i do agree...

looking forward to the pics to see how the joint looks now....

• Members
Which is why I referred to the gap as a "problem"
:D

This is funny as {censored} to read. I hadn't gone back to laugh at the responses to my pics till now, I try to stay away from the computer alot more on my days off.

I was being sarcastic about the joints, and if you remember from my first post on this guitar it's neck pocket has been the issue this whole time.

We managed to suck the binding in right on top of the body binding and overhang the other side just a touch. I think all of you would be rather pleased now. It isn't at all what I started with and I did shim to the bass side to draw everything straight. My straightedge testing shows my middle matches the book match wich is right on center and the rest should be a fun kit build.

But for those of you waiting for the results on the kit, this is one kit and may or may not be normal for these kits, I would ask Jay for more info if you are still curious. But this would have been faster in some respects from scratch. I find that trouble shooting someone elses work can take as long or longer than building your own, but I am still having fun and can't wait to hand Zemmy a badass LP.

• Members
Well I guess there is a price for everything, I am just blown away when I work with folks like you and my buddy:wave:.

You're right everything has it's price.
Allow me to re-phrase that statement...once acquired, it's value becomes priceless as far as it's benefit to you...how'd I do that time?;)

• Members
You're right everything has it's price.

Allow me to re-phrase that statement...once acquired, it's value becomes priceless as far as it's benefit to you...how'd I do that time?
;)

You did fine both times, I am from Texas and english is my second language.:facepalm:

• Members

Hey NB.

If you hadn't had the workshop available to you, how difficult would the "fix" have been?

I have limited space and limited tools but I have access to other peoples workshops if I need it.

• Members

Hey NB.

If you hadn't had the workshop available to you, how difficult would the "fix" have been?

I have limited space and limited tools but I have access to other peoples workshops if I need it.

It's funny because this guys shop is worth about $200,000 and I used a chisel and clamps for the entire fix.

If you have chisels and knowhow you would be fine, also, you may not have the same issue with another kit, this is just one kit and there haven't been any others on the forum that I have seen yet.

• Members

We managed to suck the binding in right on top of the body binding and overhang the other side just a touch. I think all of you would be rather pleased now. It isn't at all what I started with and I did shim to the bass side to draw everything straight. My straightedge testing shows my middle matches the book match wich is right on center and the rest should be a fun kit build.

looks like they over sanded on the trebble side of the body. i will say that its probably "normal" in that neck design to need shims though. the agiles ive pulled apart all had thin shims. i think its somewhat deliberate to alow a bit of angle tweaking before glue up. the bass side is your registration edge, and the trebble is the hidden adgustment edge.

hopefully other kits arent as badly shaped on the body. i can see alot of angry first timers if they are.

• Members

OK Here I am-

I have not had a chance to read this entire thread so pardon me if anything i say here has either been covered or seems not to the point.

The LP kits use an offset neck joint- The thinking here is that a standard tenon joint which would need to be hand fit would be too difficult to achieve a correct neck angle- so we liked the prototype of this kit.

I built one up using this wood shims that I already had- but you can find them from a number of sources- When the neck is properly shimmed, clamped and glued the end result is really pretty perfect- especially where the binding meets the body- There might be just the faintest bit of "Air" on the heel joint but once you start grain filling and finishing it blends in quite nicely. My feeling was shimming a looser joint is a lot easier then chiselling a tight one. For those of you with more advanced skills we DO have a mahogany, standard tenon version of this kit coming this fall, as well as an all mahogany SG kit. Obviously these are priced very fairly and I've seen some finished product from some of our customers that looks outstanding.

As with anything that is a "Project" a proper set neck guitar requires some patience, some skill, and a lot of planning. But the finished neck joint on these kits SHOULD look EXACTLY like a long tenon set neck Gibson when completed.

Jay

• Members

OK Here I am-

I have not had a chance to read this entire thread so pardon me if anything i say here has either been covered or seems not to the point.

The LP kits use an offset neck joint- The thinking here is that a standard tenon joint which would need to be hand fit would be too difficult to achieve a correct neck angle- so we liked the prototype of this kit.

I built one up using this wood shims that I already had- but you can find them from a number of sources- When the neck is properly shimmed, clamped and glued the end result is really pretty perfect- especially where the binding meets the body- There might be just the faintest bit of "Air" on the heel joint but once you start grain filling and finishing it blends in quite nicely. My feeling was shimming a looser joint is a lot easier then chiselling a tight one. For those of you with more advanced skills we DO have a mahogany, standard tenon version of this kit coming this fall, as well as an all mahogany SG kit. Obviously these are priced very fairly and I've seen some finished product from some of our customers that looks outstanding.

As with anything that is a "Project" a proper set neck guitar requires some patience, some skill, and a lot of planning. But the finished neck joint on these kits SHOULD look EXACTLY like a long tenon set neck Gibson when completed.

Jay

so you would say that the neck issue in this thread isnt "normal" then? most should line up fine (shims aside).

• Members

so you would say that the neck issue in this thread isnt "normal" then? most should line up fine (shims aside).

Well from what I have seen here there's a picture of a totally untouched neck sitting on the body- You have to hand fit ANY setneck project- so I would imagine 5 minutes with some files and sandpaper should make the neck fit the body perfectly- then clamp and glue, wood grain fill, sanding sealer, lacquer and you've got a perfect "factory" looking joint.

Jay

• Members
Well from what I have seen here there's a picture of a totally untouched neck sitting on the body- You have to hand fit ANY setneck project- so I would imagine 5 minutes with some files and sandpaper should make the neck fit the body perfectly- then clamp and glue, wood grain fill, sanding sealer, lacquer and you've got a perfect "factory" looking joint.

Jay

ok. that pic makes it hard to tell, shadow makes the gap seem huge. much bigger than the gap on the other side. ill reserve judgement til he posts the glued photos. :)

these mahognay kits.. are they similar general quality as the current ones, or a step up? if you could get something that was more in the bulldog quality level, that would kick much ass. obviously id not expect it for $169 with hardware :)

Archived