Personality Quirks: Name Some of Yours

Beck

• Members

Me? Quirks?

Most people crave praise, and are yawning, bottomless pits in their desire for it at all hours of the day, from anyone... but I mostly distrust it.

I could care less about money. I could never hungrily social-climb the way my sister does; if she thinks somebody has money, she's on 'em like flies-to-{censored}. (Her house looks like Architectural Digest... yet she won't let anybody sit down lest they wrinkle her furniture.) I've had lots of it and none of it.... and it's all the same to me. I won't jump through my asshole for a buck.

If I don't wear a fragrance each day-- yes, an expensive one--- I feel naked. Even if I don't meet with anyone all day.

I'm snobbish about only three things: coffee (if it didn't cost at least $7 per pound, I won't drink it), bedsheets (they have to be %100 cotton or I won't sleep on them) and fragrance (if it didn't cost at least $60 a bottle, I won't wear it). Everything else in my life can be tacky and ugly, I don't care. (Can you say... "ghetto-rich"?) My clothes are from WAL-MART. It would take an imperial fiat to coax me into a tux again.

For a guy as bright as I am, I am a real vulgarian and have a filthy mouth.

For all the education I've received (my IQ is 145) and the world travel I've done, I am still a white-trash hillbilly who dresses terribly and casts a lousy first impression with the women and men that I meet in person.

No matter how much music education I've received (reams, aeons), my sight-reading is near-nil, and I still crave the exact same pop music that I liked when I was seven. Put me in a band that plays "Sugar, Sugar" and I'm in heaven.

I was trained to be a fitness trainer and once had 11% bodyfat. Now I am fat and disgusting and don't care.

I need lots of sleep. At least 12 hours per diem.

I lke techy things, but loathe cellphones and never answer mine. People trying to do business with me are mystified.

I am fundamentally a lazy, unambitious man... and that's my very WORST trait, without a doubt. I basically feel that we never truly get rid of, or solve, our problems.... we simply trade one set of problems for another set. Yeah, I know: that's a {censored}-assed, un-American belief system, but there ya go. I was voted SENIOR BOY MOST LIKELY TO SUCCEED... I have my 30-year HS reunion coming up in 2011, and won't have anything (moneylooksclotheswifekidscarshousesboatsfame) to impress my peers with.

I have a sign on my front door-- I really do-- that reads NO RELIGIOUS PROSELYTIZERS. If that tells ya anything.

I never wear long pants. Like, ever. Shorts year 'round.

I have no debt at present.

I can never sleep if someone is lying next to me. I pick up on all their dreams, which is a nuisance, and get way-y too hot.

I'm heat-sensitive. At 72deg-- which most people think is a livable "norm" of a temperature--- I am burning up. I sleep, year 'round, with my thermostat set to 64degF. Playing piano at NORDSTROM in Northern Cal was problematic, because they don't use A/C like we do in TX... and I was wearing a three-piece woolen tux with tails. I like ta died.

My life-view is very comedic-- Pythonesque-- and I can laugh at virtually anything, even taboo subjects.Enough for ya? T.M.I.?

• Members

- I am fanatic about spelling, but also insist (when writing/typing) on using words that look good together. The same applies to number. For instance, if I'm at a restaurant and paying with a credit card, I base the server's tip on whatever numbers look pleasing to my eye at that moment, not by rounding to the nearest dollar.

- I don't care for most green vegetables in the first place, but I absolutely can't stand having them chopped up in my food. Peppers, onions, celery and green beans are right out. If I don't see it and don't taste it, but bite into it, game over. That's a foreign object in my food.

- Although my work involves lots of acronyms (I'm the FTP admin in the IT department of a company whose name is an acronym) I prefer to spell out entire words rather than abbreviate. Maybe that's why I despise texting on my cell phone?

• Members

I hear sounds as colors and have respective colors assigned to all the numbers and letters as well.

When I do math in my head, I count in 4's like a rhythm and multiply the numbers of measures by 4 and then add what's left over.

I am obsessive about mic cables looking neat and being formed into a nice little tidy coils next to the mic stand. Other musicians and people who come to my house to record seem to appreciate the "zen"-ness of it though.

• Members

Get at the very least 2 chores accomplished every day, mundane things...pruning trees, boot polishing, guitar strings changed...

I have to listen to/perform a Bob Marley tune every day.

Read John Steinbeck, usually before bedtime, 'Cannery Row' or a 'Lennie' line from 'Of Mice and Men'.

Every morning before I walk my dog, I salute the US flag in front of my house.

Listen to a 78 record on my 1916 RCA Victrola that came out of the factory on Oct 9 1916, The day my Dad was born. (Johnny Mercer's 'Surprise Party' is a fave.

Work out Mon/Weds/Fri...Jog on Tues, Thurs,Sat...rest on Sunday...God's Rule, not mine.;)

Try to check in on SSS at least once a day to see what's going on with you guys. still trying not to be a 'wiseguy'.;)

Before I go out the door, I check the mirror and marvel at my 'rough and tumble' but still 'Rock Star' pretty good looks and lean, taut, tanned, toned, body and full head of 'spiked' white hair.:lol:

I thank God everyday for my beautiful wife, the most gentle person I have ever met.. my children,.my health, my medical coverage...my Pension Plan...

I am a Simple Man, I never aspired to Fame or Fortune, I gained a Modicum of Musical fame when I was in my late teens, that was enough for me.

After I do my daily chores, I try to help out a nabe, usually elderly , we had a big storm bring down lotsa branches and whole trees, so my chain saw has been getting a lot of play these last few days.

They try to pay me, but I decline...so next day I can count on a Fruit Cake in a Tin about 5 years old deposited on my front Porch.:p

• Members

I hear sounds as colors and have respective colors assigned to all the numbers and letters as well.

i also have strong synesthesia and have kept it deeply hidden until recently; when i decided i no longer cared if people think i am weird or different. i was made fun of and called crazy because of this synesthesia and was open about it until i was about 6 or 7, then i hid it completely due to our beloved education system. thirty years later i dont care what anyone else thinks anymore about anything so i am open about it.

call me counter-liberal if you will but i dont give a crap what anyone thinks. i have little to nothing good to say about our education system, and even today when i try and be a part of it i still find it flabergasting, closed minded, introverted, brainwashing, liberal, socially misguiding and generally self serving.

you might say i hate the education system. so basically synesthesia has not served me well in a social sense, it isolated me from everyone including my parents and left me wondering why i was so different from everyone and that made me somehow bad. screw that, the rest of you dont have my gift and that doesnt make me any less than anyone else.

stick that in your liberal pipe and cram it.:thu:

• Members

How do you define "quirk"? That sort of implies there is a norm for personalities, and anything outside of that is "quirky". I think of personalities as one of the least uniform aspects of people. I've got lots of quirks: behavioral, physical, perceptual, but I can't think of any I would consider personality quirks.

• Members

I have left and right socks. That's a quirk.
;)

Actually read advice on this. Switch left and right socks so they last longer. I throw all mine into the laundry unlabeled, need to label them I guess? Otherwise how can I tell which are which after! :cool: Will my shoes, boots, sneakers, flippers last longer if I swap sides?

• Members

Me? Quirks?

• I'm snobbish about only three things: coffee (if it didn't cost at least $7 per pound, I won't drink it), bedsheets (they have to be %100 cotton or I won't sleep on them) and fragrance (if it didn't cost at least $60 a bottle, I won't wear it). Everything else in my life can be tacky and ugly, I don't care. (Can you say... "ghetto-rich"?) My clothes are from WAL-MART. It would take an imperial fiat to coax me into a tux again.

• I need lots of sleep. At least 12 hours per diem.

I will definitely throw you a :thu: on both these points. Folgers and 8 o clock tastes like {censored} to me and sleep is God's gift to man. I rage out when people call me when I'm sleeping or disturb it in any way.

My quirks:

My food can't have conflicting textures. Onions in my potato salad? Gross, you ruined a good potato salad. Potatoes are mushy, don't put any crunchy nonsense in it.

I despise being micro managed and work WAY less efficiently if someone tries to do that to me. 100% independent worker, this is probably why I am good at the studio thing. It's funny to, because that is the definition of my boss. But most of the time I just tune it out and do my thing because all she does is request that I do things that will definitely be done. :lol:

I despise people that plant themselves to far one way or the other politically. The bible toting ultra right conservative is just as much of a {censored} head as the ultra left wing save the planet, drive a prius hippie.

I hate the public school system. To this day I found it to be mostly a pointless endeavor that served as a means to an end (to get into college). Funny though, I loved college.

I loath other people wrapping up cables in my studio. Even if they do it right, they still didn't do it correctly. :lol:

My condenser mics NEVER get left out. They always go back into a plastic bag with one of those drying gel pack things inside a case.

There are times where other people's logic will blow my mind to the point I can't comprehend it. People that have no desire to get/be married doesn't compute at all. It's so weird to me I can't "get it."

Archived