Any ideas for an AC/DC song to play at a 14-year old's funeral?

OldMattB

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't start it to challenge your intellectual curiosity. My goal was to identify appropriate music for an honorary son's funeral.

Just got back from the viewing. They played some Robert Earl Keen, and then played Josh's IPOD set to random play (after removing some of the blatantly rude songs). I gave him a pick for his journey, and called him a brat for the last time.

oldMattB

That pulled a couple of tears....glad ya'll chose to skip the AC.DC at the funeral. Sorry to hear about the kiddo...sounds like you were both lucky to have met eachother.

• Members

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Funeral was... What do you say about funerals? The church was packed - after the ushers had us scrunch several times, there were still 75-100 people who stood for the service. Our town has under 700 people total, and there were more than that there. Josh's uncle made a speech that had everyone crying.

Josh was in an open white coffin, with his Les Paul on a stand next to him. Like the one given to his friend George, it too had his handprints placed on it's back. It is the item his parents associate with him the most. Flowers everywhere. (At the viewing, family and friends had given him small items for his new life - chapstick, guitar picks, gum, flowers, etc. Dixie, the dog, was processed in time and joined him.) A Houston musician performed a song in his memory. (No AC/DC.) Josh rode in the bed of his family's pick-up truck to the cemetery - the last ride with the family together. Friends and football team fellow members were the pallbearers. He is now buried in our local cemetery, in a huge patch of now-blooming bluebonnets.

It was amazing to see how a small town can rally behind a family in need. It was scary to see how quick and final the line between life and death can appear. It was inspiring to see how many people vowed to keep his memory alive in thought and deed. It was encouraging to see the love and devotion young people show for their own.

Josh's parents will never be the same, but I think they will be OK. Thank God, and a little town in Texas.

oldMattB

PS Abigail made it to the funeral. The family had some trouble getting in touch with her. In nursery school, Josh and Abby made a pact to get married someday, had kept in touch and traded rings, and apparently fully intended to make the promise real after college.

• Members

"Josh was in an open white coffin, with his Les Paul on a stand next to him....Josh rode in the bed of his family's pick-up truck to the cemetery - the last ride with the family together."

Oh God, this made me:cry: God bless Josh's family.

Archived