Any ideas for an AC/DC song to play at a 14-year old's funeral?

OldMattB

• Members

Point about making people uncomfortable is right, but you're either going to have half the people sitting there saying, "why didn't they play 'Big Balls' because that was his favorite song???" and the other half of hte people saying "I'm offended by that song 'Big Balls' and I can't believe they played it!"

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i just had a look through my AC/DC collection and there's some really bad song titles for the situation. Ride On is good if you want to make people cry, For Those About To Rock would be a great send off to the kid. What did they play at Bons funeral i wonder?

"Have a drink on Me" :lol:

• Members

Not sure if anyone suggested this, but why limit it to one song? How about an instrumental medley comprised of all of the signature and recognizable riffs. Maybe 4 minutes of that, which could lead into one of their songs that would have vocals (maybe "For Those About to Rock").

• Members

Ride On was the very first thing that popped into my head ... Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution might work, maybe It's a Long Way to the Top? :idk:

I feel for ya man, funerals for the young suck. If it helps, at my sister's funeral they played some very odd music, but everyone was fine with it because they knew it was what SHE would have wanted ...

• Members

I've only perused the posts, but I'd go with "Big Balls." Any 14 year-old who doesn't love that song, well...I can't imagine anyone not finding the song fun, but in your early teens it's absolutely monumental. It's fun and no one will ever forget it. I'm all for trying to turn tragedies like this into a celebration of the life lived, and that's what "Big Balls" is all about...among other things.

This is a bummer of thread though. All my best to the boy's family.

• Members

funny that Scott was there for 6 years and Johnson has been there for 30 and yet he's still not considered the real singer. I'm tipping this kid had more to do with the Johnson era.

Speaks to how great Bon Scott was.Johnson is OK and B&B is one of thier best albums, but Bon Scott is of one the greatest of all time IMO...His voice is just perfect for rock, like a marshall breaking up.

• Members

I checked out the lyrics to "Highway to Hell", and I still don't see why that would be so controversial. It's a Bon Scott tune, which would be more appropriate than a Johnson-era one, and it kicks some serious ass.

Sure. Every 14 year old's parents want to think their dead kid is going straight to hell. "Hey momma, look at me. I'm on the way to the promised land. I'm on the highway to hell." Perfect.

• Members

As the father of 2 teenage sons that are diabetic, my sympathies go out to the family. We know exactly what the parents went through every day of their sons life. It is a terrible disease that receives very little attention and even less research money. Yet it is a disease that kills more people than AIDS or breast cancer.

I hope they find a cure in time to save my sons from the Hell that they have had to endure (one since he was 6 and now 17, and the other since he was 12 and is now 19) every day of their lives. I'm terribly sorry that a cure did not save the son of the grieving parents.

As for the song to play; play the 14 year old boys favorite AC/DC tune, doesn't matter what it is or what it is about, it is what he was about.

• Members

Nothing to add, except that I am STILL laughing 2 days later at the thought of doing "Let Me Put My Love Into You" as a worship song
:lol:

It almost works! The "cake" is communion bread!

A final note for all of you:

The parents decided against an AC/DC song for the service, sticking to some country songs that fit the mood better. They appreciate your ideas. Grandparents and friends will be there, and they apparently felt it important to not offend people who are there to support the parents. We are a small, pretty traditional town, and the service will be presented by the family's church.

We were able to get a rush job on the dog's cremation, so Dixie will accompany her beloved master, Josh, on his journey. The funeral will be tomorrow. I played a lunch show at the Senior Center today and put out the tip jar, and asked once for donations for the family. I dropped about $100 by to them - a good sign of good hearts from about 30 seniors who come to the center, mainly for the charity-subsidized meals. The family's spirits are pretty good - they are surrounded by family and friends.

One other note: One of Josh's friends, George loved guitar, but his parents could not afford one for him. Josh's parents had Josh's handprints put on the back of Josh's red Hamer and presented it to George.

gotta go ... I'm tearing up again.

oldMattB

• Members

Damn, bummer, rest in peace kid.

I vote "Ride on.." as well.

Didn't read the whole thread. Condolences and Blessings to those affected and I can't think of a better AC/DC song than Ride On to play at a funeral either...

• Members

This whole thread is dumb.

I didn't start it to challenge your intellectual curiosity. My goal was to identify appropriate music for an honorary son's funeral.

Just got back from the viewing. They played some Robert Earl Keen, and then played Josh's IPOD set to random play (after removing some of the blatantly rude songs). I gave him a pick for his journey, and called him a brat for the last time.

oldMattB

• Members

One other note: One of Josh's friends, George loved guitar, but his parents could not afford one for him. Josh's parents had Josh's handprints put on the back of Josh's red Hamer and presented it to George.

That's really thoughtful.

• Members

Every one of their songs is a double entendre about sex. Let me Put my Love (cock) into You; Give the Dog a Bone (cock); Fire the Guns (cocks); Shoot to Thrill (spunk); TNT (power load of spunk); You Shook Me etc.

High Voltage would be cool. Stormy May Day from the new album has possibilities (get your slide out). Rock and Roll Dream might be your best bet.

Deep water all around me,

Circle sharks all about,

Deep in trouble, had me turned around,

Man up and one man down,

You pretty women gather

• Members

... Just got back from the viewing. They played some Robert Earl Keen, and then played Josh's IPOD set to random play (after removing some of the blatantly rude songs). I gave him a pick for his journey, and called him a brat for the last time. ...

I'm late to this thread, but not to late to offer my condolences to you and the family. It sounds like you made a big difference in Josh's life, and he in yours too. Nothing is cooler than that.

Archived