VOX Pathfinder 15

danswon

• Members

I have one that is now in need of repair due to my own stupidity, but I was sold on the amp after the salesman had me hook it up to a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab. I was shocked at how loud it got. Not sure if it's quite loud enough for a band situation, but it rocks pretty hard!!! Give it a try through a cab.

• Moderators

I love love love my 15R, don't get me wrong, but for a "hard rock band", even with an extension cab, I think it would be underpowered.

Two Pathfinders, on the other hand... :rawk:

To it's credit, I did use my Pathfinder at band practice (we're just medium loud) instead of my DRRI once (no extension cab), and it did just about keep up, but it was distorting more than I wanted and sounded kinda shrill.

Still... not bad AT ALL for a $100 SS practice amp with an 8" speaker. :thu:

• Members

I
love love love
my 15R, don't get me wrong, but for a "hard rock band", even with an extension cab, I think it would be underpowered.

Two
Pathfinders, on the other hand...
:rawk:

To it's credit, I
did
use my Pathfinder at band practice (we're just medium loud) instead of my DRRI once (no extension cab), and it
did
just about keep up, but it was distorting more than I wanted and sounded kinda shrill.

Still... not bad AT ALL for a $100 SS practice amp with an 8" speaker.
:thu:

I love mine so much that I'm planning a project in a month or so to double the wattage of the Pathfinder 15r and rehouse in a 2 X 10 cab to ensure it's giggability under any circumstance...

• Members

I play in a 5 piece rock band (classic rock mostly), and use mine through half of a 4x12 cab (so, 2x12 stacked - at 8 ohms). I never need to turn up very loud on the amp to be heard. For gigs I need even less volume usually b/c the amp is mic'd - though I played the last gig in a school gym without micing it - and actually had the volume set the same as practice levels and it carried fine.

By itself, the 1x8 combo can only do so much - but through a nice extension cab - it really does the job.

I practice with earplugs in - as in the garage we play in, it's way too loud to not use earplugs. There's no real reason to crank everything up - we just have a loud drummer - even with the drum heads padded a bit.

• Members

how would you double the wattage?

I found a chip which is a pin for pin match to the Pathfinder's op amp which provides double the wattage at around the same power consumption. Couple that with dual speakers hopefully rated a bit better than the stock 8 and it should be loud and proud.

• Members

sounds promising. one real concern id the reverb. i *love* reverb.i am one of those people that will have a personal problem if i cannot have reverb. i knw thats silly i don't care. but i heard the reverb is {censored}.what do you think?

• Members

I own a Vox Pathfinder 15R and I love the thing. The reverb isn't too bad in my opinion and it takes pedals very nicely. I am running mine with a EHX 1 echo, a ProCo Rat 2 and a Boss TU-3. I have never tried mine with an extension cab though. I will try and get some clips up of me playing my Tele through it tomorrow evening.

• Members

I own a Vox Pathfinder 15R and I love the thing. The reverb isn't too bad in my opinion and it takes pedals very nicely. I am running mine with a EHX 1 echo, a ProCo Rat 2 and a Boss TU-3. I have never tried mine with an extension cab though. I will try and get some clips up of me playing my Tele through it tomorrow evening.

that would be awesome :) what does anyone think of the tremolo?

• Members

The tremolo is great. Very smooth. I'm a big reverb guy too, I love my surf music :D You can't get that drenched surfy sound with the 15R, but for all other purposes I like it a lot. Best of all, the springs are mounted in such a way that it doesn't crash when you kick the amp like so many older reverbs do. I actually thought it was digital until I opened the thing up.

As far as extension cabs go, I haven't gigged with it, but I run mine into a 2x12 cab and it sounds huge. I can rattle the windows with the gain at 10 o'clock and the volume above noon.

I won't have a chance to make a sound clip until Monday, but I'll try then to do something with and without the cab. Until then, check this one out:

[YOUTUBE]eXJiGmnLb0g[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I don't understand why they don't make a higher wattage of this thing. Could give the Peavey Bandit a run for it's money.

1x12(or even 1x10) 50 Watter for $200? Yes please. Add an FX Loop and mid control and we're set.

• Members
I don't understand why they don't make a higher wattage of this thing. Could give the Peavey Bandit a run for it's money.

1x12(or even 1x10) 50 Watter for $200? Yes please. Add an FX Loop and mid control and we're set.

I don't know why they would want to. Vox had much better options in the budget higher wattage area already, plus I'm not much of a fan of the Pathfinder. Clean is loud and punchy for a 15 watt SS amp, but the overdrive is pretty much unusable. The Cambridge 15/30 and the VR15/30 were much better sounding, IMO.

• Members

I don't know why they would want to. Vox had much better options in the budget higher wattage area already, plus I'm not much of a fan of the Pathfinder. Clean is loud and punchy for a 15 watt SS amp, but the overdrive is pretty much unusable. The Cambridge 15/30 and the VR15/30 were much better sounding, IMO.

I completely disagree that Vox currently has anything solid state in a high wattage which sounds significantly better. The Cambridge line has been discontinued for quite some time and reportedly has a circuitry flaw and the original VR15/30 are also discontinued. Vox just released the new AC15/30VR series but all the Pathfinder owners I've known who've tried them haven't been very impressed.

I agree that the Pathfinder strongly prefers single coils so those who prefer humbuckers may prefer something with a firmer low end and smoother breakup. However, with lower output single coils and the gain below noon this amp is just a dream to play and hits way, way above it's modest price point.

Archived