VOX Pathfinder 15

danswon

• Members

i use to have two pathfinders run in stereo, it was loud enough with a band...although you have to run them wide open and the tone gets harsh at those volumes. ive also run one of them through a marshall 412 and it was definately loud enough and sounded better than when in stereo together.

• Members

Remember ohm load when running it through an extension cab. Many 4x12 cabs for example are 16 ohms. I have a stereo cab which is 4/16 ohms (switchable) and also 8 ohms per side (2x12) if you want. I tried the pathfinder through the full 4x12 at 16 ohms compared to half the cab at 8 ohms. At 8 ohms and 2x12, the amp sounded MUCH tighter, more crisp and louder than running at 16ohms and 4x12. (when running higher loads, you effectively reduce the power output of the amp. When running lower loads, you effectively increase the power output - which if you run too low, you fry it. The pathfinder is stable down to 8ohms.)

While a 2x10 cab would work just fine with this amp - if you're planning on using it with a rock band, I'd strongly suggest a 2x12 cab instead.

• Members

i'm thinking of getting this amp and running it through a 2x10 cab - does anyone think it would be loud enough to rehearse in a hard rock band?

I would doubt it, but that is one of the coolest amps I've ever owned. That 8" is phenomenal - It's a Celestion blue as I understand, though only buyable through Vox. (I've done a lot of researching :))

Quite loud though, and if the 2x10 is extremely efficient it MIGHT be loud enough if the band isn't killer loud.

• Members

Ok, I did a lengthy demo of the 15R with and without a 2x12 cab. I played my Strat with GFS Premium II pickups. I know people have asked about those so maybe this demo can kill two birds with one stone.

For parts 1 and 2 I didn't touch the amp settings at all. Volume and tones on the guitar were all at 10. Any change in tone, breakup, volume, etc are the result of pickup selection and picking.

I think it's a pretty honest recording with one exception. When I plug in the cab you can hear the difference in tone, but you don't really get the "pushing air" aspect of it. By Part 3 my cats were hiding downstairs and all kinds of {censored} was rattling in my little music room :D

In all it's 10 minutes long so here's the breakdown:

Gain and Reverb are at about 10 o'clock, Volume, Treble, Bass are at 12 o'clock

I play a little bit of a song with the 15R, then I plug the cab in and play it some more.

Part 1: N (Who Knows) N/M (Lenny) M (Funk #49)

Part 2: M/B (Sultans of Swing) B (Anything That's Rock & Roll) B/N (Surf Rider)

Part 3: Tremolo and Boost switch. By this point I'm starting to screw around. Reverb and Gain go to 12 o'clock and I use the boost. (Rumble, a bit of Vara-Tones, and I think something from an Applebee's commercial :lol:)

Here's a picture of "the rig"

newcab.jpg

Archived