The Gretch White Falcon

DaveAronow

• Members

I owned the last 6136 with the vertical logo and cowboy inlays. Got it straight from Fender.

I bought it so girls would talk to me and it worked.

It also sounded great and for the most part played great but the fret access and college tuition made me sell it to some weirdo christ-rock guy in Texas, damn shame.

They have very low resale value and I'd love to buy another but you can get a guitar that sounds/plays 99% of the way there for considerably less, you're paying a huge premium for the look.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They have very low resale value and I'd love to buy another but you can get a guitar that sounds/plays 99% of the way there for considerably less, you're paying a huge premium for the look.

Oh for sure. A Country Club is pretty much the same guitar and can be found used for $1200-1400 or so.

But Falcons are cooler.

• Members

WAY less Liberace looking and 1,000 times better.

The Poll didnt offer -->looks OK but plays unbelievable-->therefore I went for the first vote

A Friend has 2 (and some Setzer's) I am too stupid to play it(too long in Strat's) but hey the Falcon really rocks

Roland

• Members

I love it. Very over the top but it works in that guitar. It's got just enough bling without quite getting into Elvis territory.

EG

Ditto. I usually don't care at all for blingy guitars, and I effin' hate gold hardware on 99% of guitars, but I've always thought the Falcon (as well as the White Penguin) was classy.

Slap a Bigsby on it and it would be one of my #1 GAS dreams.

Also hot--both of these:

Jack+White++Alicia+Keys+Alicia++Jack+Pho

And, for good measure, the Penguin:

2005_g6134-wht-penguin_wht_jt05129657_to

• Members

hmm...me no likey gold hardware, stupid master volume on lower horn, opaque white paint, and no bigsby...so give me transparent orange, chrome hardware, all the controls in the lower bout, and a bigsby and I'd be all over it...
:freak:

Sounds like you want a 5120 - they're trans orange with chrome hardware and a Bigsby. They still have the master volume on the lower bout, but trust me, it's actually a very handy spot for it. You could even completely ignore it if you want and just use the two pickup volume controls, LP-style.

• Members

I like it but I think I prefer the model with Bigsby (for looks really)

and I *think I like the other headstock that you see sometimes

All Falcons have the same headstock. The only other head Gretsch uses on archtops is the one you see on this and every other non-Falcon archtop. Hell, in the 90s, they even used that headstock on jets.

• Members

not to be contrary or anything...

(hope this link works)

587686.jpg

might be a slightly different model?

(or another year or something, I dunno)

Judging by the pickguard shape, this version of the 6136 is based on the Baldwin era of Gretsch, which was... pretty {censored}, honestly. I do like the wire arm Bigsby, though!

Archived