Guitar Fetish needs to make a Bigsby inspired bridge

Sheik Yerbouti

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember hearing a very compelling rumour that Jay was going to be bringing out a line of Gretsch-inspired semi- and full-hollows.

Was it all just a mad dream?

I'm sure I heard this here; I just don't remember any more about it.

Jay? This true?

• Members

As I recall he said patent/ licensing requirements prevented him from making anything too Bigsby-esque. He ended up selling this:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/vistsumowhba.html

Maybe worth trying out for $22...

yhst-50206111187217_2097_5737689

yhst-50206111187217_2097_11873911

Similar to the simple bent steel units found on old Hofners and Hohners and Teiscos- These are actually very nicely made all steel units- with a proper Bigsby sized trem spring and hinged operation.

I've installed a few- Use them on telecasters or other slab bodies, and they fit on all sorts of slimline semi hollowbodies with GREAT results.

• Members

41BGB2.jpg

114tremgd2.jpg

Bezdez on eBay. $54 in chrome, $65 in Gold. Why wait for GFS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHROME-ARCHTOP-GUITAR-TREMOLO-TAILPIECE-ARM_W0QQitemZ200430831203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2eaa9bc663

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-TREMOLO-TAILPIECE-FOR-ARCHTOP-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ200398834680QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2ea8b38bf8

• Members

As I recall he said patent/ licensing requirements prevented him from making anything too Bigsby-esque.

There's plenty of Bigsby clones out there, you just have to change the look a little, like a lot of Japanese companies did in the 70's

• Members

That spring loaded trem from GFS is EXACTLY what was on my first guitar, a no-name sunburst slab from 1980- it was HORRIBLE and creaked like an old church door when you used it and the edges of the bar were sharp, and the screw became loose very easily and the bar would just hang....I think the overall design is probably "sound" but Jay should "tweak it a bit" make the bar more 3-D than just a flat bar and maybe do the finish in a brushed finish, so it doesn't look so cheap, and maybe look at "matching smaller springs on both sides- maybe even leaf or folded type springs. A whole new concept in inexpensive vibratos....:thu:

• Members

That spring loaded trem from GFS is EXACTLY what was on my first guitar, a no-name sunburst slab from 1980- it was HORRIBLE and creaked like an old church door when you used it and the edges of the bar were sharp, and the screw became loose very easily and the bar would just hang....I think the overall design is probably "sound" but Jay should "tweak it a bit" make the bar more 3-D than just a flat bar and maybe do the finish in a brushed finish, so it doesn't look so cheap, and maybe look at "matching smaller springs on both sides- maybe even leaf or folded type springs. A whole new concept in inexpensive vibratos....
:thu:

Hmmmm. I like this idea. Maybe I'll CAD something up when I have a bit of free time.

Archived