Guitar Fetish needs to make a Bigsby inspired bridge

Sheik Yerbouti

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If both units were installed on otherwise identical guitars from a functionality standpoint, the Floyd could do anything the Bigsby could do. The reverse is not true.

Not true. The Floyd is incapable of subtle vibrato. Although the Floyd has a pitch bending range greater than a Bigsby, it is not possible to achieve the the subtle nuances of a Bigsby with a Floyd, due to the super touchy response of the FR.

Not to mention that a Floyd sucks the life out of your tone, while a Bigsby actually enhances it.

• Members
Not true. The Floyd is incapable of subtle vibrato. Although the Floyd has a pitch bending range greater than a Bigsby, it is not possible to achieve the the subtle nuances of a Bigsby with a Floyd, due to the super touchy response of the FR.

Not to mention that a Floyd sucks the life out of your tone, while a Bigsby actually enhances it.

Then I should have a double neck, one with a Floyd, one with a Bigsby!

awesome_face_bigger.png

• Members

If you can't do subtle vibrato with a Floyd it is because YOU can't do it. It is no fault of the Floyd or it's design. Also the tone difference is one that you'll need to prove because a properly installed original Floyd should have no negative effect on tone as compared to a Bigsby.

Which Bigsby model are you referring to anyway? There are several different models all of which should give differing tonal responses based upon mass and surface contact area among many other physical factors. I'm sure your hearing is acute enough to discern the subtle differences in each. You can probably hear the differences between Honduran and Brazilian rosewood fret boards too. :rolleyes:

• Members
If you can't do subtle vibrato with a Floyd it is because YOU can't do it. It is no fault of the Floyd or it's design. Also the tone difference is one that you'll need to prove because a properly installed original Floyd should have no negative effect on tone as compared to a Bigsby.

Which Bigsby model are you referring to anyway? There are several different models all of which should give differing tonal responses based upon mass and surface contact area among many other physical factors. I'm sure your hearing is acute enough to discern the subtle differences in each. You can probably hear the differences between Honduran and Brazilian rosewood fret boards too.
:rolleyes:

I've been over this before with other people equally misguided. They pointed out Satriani's version of Sleepwalk as an example of "subtle" Floyd usage. Upon viewing the video, it became apparent that the only subtle vibrato in the video came from Satriani's fingers. Every time he used the Floyd it was completely unsubtle. I think it's safe to say that if Satch can't do it, neither can you.

The tone issue has nothing to do with installation. It has everything to do with the basic design of the two units.

The biggest difference between Bigsby models is the presence or absence of a roller bar. It has some effect on feel and tone, but all Bigsby models enhance tone.

• Members

I've been over this before with other people equally misguided. They pointed out Satriani's version of Sleepwalk as an example of "subtle" Floyd usage. Upon viewing the video, it became apparent that the only subtle vibrato in the video came from Satriani's fingers. Every time he used the Floyd it was completely unsubtle. I think it's safe to say that if Satch can't do it, neither can you.

The tone issue has nothing to do with installation. It has everything to do with the basic design of the two units.

The biggest difference between Bigsby models is the presence or absence of a roller bar. It has some effect on feel and tone, but all Bigsby models enhance tone.

To your ears. Tone is subjective. I don't even think I have heard the Satriani song you mentioned so I don't have an opinion. I do know that I can coax Bigsby type effects out of my FR equipped guitars. I have never been able to do the reverse with a Bigsby equipped guitar.

Tell me how the design of the Bigsby is superior (not just different) to that of the FR. I mean really break it down for me. Since I and many others here are probably misguided. After you drop your awesome knowledge on me could you expand on on that by adding what the differences between the Bigsbys and the average Bigsby knock off from both a design and toanz perspective. I am ever so curious.

• Members

To your ears. Tone is subjective. I don't even think I have heard the Satriani song you mentioned so I don't have an opinion. I do know that I can coax Bigsby type effects out of my FR equipped guitars. I have never been able to do the same with a Bigsby equipped guitar.

Tell me how the design of the Bigsby is superior (not just different) to that of the FR. I mean really break it down for me. Since I and many others here are probably misguided. After you drop your awesome knowledge on me could you expand on on that by adding what the differences between the Bigsbys and the average Bigsby knock off from both a design and toanz perspective. I am ever so curious.

You probably have a very liberal idea of what the word "subtle" means. People who play Floyd Rose guitars tend not to be appreciators of subtlety in the first place, but rather appreciator of brewtal distortion and weedly wee.

Here is an illustration of the problem with Floyd Roses and why they all suck tone:

Floyd_rose_principle.png

There is minimal string to body contact. It doesn't matter how you install it, that's just a part of dealing with a Floyd Rose. Even EVH said he had to adjust his EQ quite a bit to compensate for the thinning effect of the Floyd Rose on his tone.

Bigsbys don't come with a bridge, other than one less commonly used Tele model. But the Bigsby is a large slab of metal that screws directly onto your guitar, adding mass and body and sustain. The type of bridge you're using will effect things as well, but the bridge is a separate entity from the Bigsby, whereas in the Floyd Rose the vibrato and the bridge are one and the same.

The Bigsby is also a very simple design, and there's less to go wrong. Floyd Roses often have parts wear out after a few years, whereas Bigsbys will last decades.

• Members

Try to wrap your head around the subtly concept as well. Floyd Roses and Bigsbys have a similar range of motion in the arm. However, the same motion that will detune the guitar 4 semitones in a FR will not even detune a Bigsby a full semitone. An unsubtle player might see that as a limitation, but the observant student will see that the Bigsby allows for greater expression over the short range - and the short range is where the tasteful playing is.

• Members

My idea of subtle is of 0 interest here. I just have to touch the FR where I'd have to exert a little more force on the bar of a Bigsby to achieve the same effect. Damn, you seem kinda thick for a know it all. Sheesh tighten your springs if you want to have more resistance. Just because the semi-tone change you are looking for comes up quicker on a Floyd it doesn't mean the note is not available or attainable with a Floyd. Just use it with a bit more subtlety instead of a normal or hamfisted slamming of the Bigsby.

Is the tone block of an OFR not a big mass? If the tone difference can be adjusted for at the amp (like Eddie) what's the big deal? Why didn't Eddie use a Bigsby and save himself from having to twist a dial or two?

The contact points as illustrated don't seem very different that a wrap around non trem bridge would be.

Sorry, you were unable to change my mind. You don't really have any back-up and keep stating you opinion as fact. I'll keep using my Floyd Rose equipped guitars while staying in tune. I would not omit a guitar from my GAS list though simply because it had a Bigsby though. That would be closed minded of me. There are pros and cons of both designs. I set my Fender style (6 and 2 screw!!) tremolos up to float too. Want to try and change my mind on that personal preference?

• Members

Example of subtle (delicate or faint and mysterious) Floyd use: place one finger on the bar (or arm if you prefer) and press lightly.

Example of subtle (thin, tenuous) Floyd knowledge:Uma Floresta's

Bigsby allows for greater expression over the
short range
- and the short range is where the tasteful playing is.

Yeah...just hack a bunch of frets off of the neck of the guitar or half (maybe more) of the keys off of the piano...you don't need the range.

There's something about having a car with a Hemi and only using all of the power when you have to but still driving it 25 mph to get groceries.

• Members

My idea of liberal is of 0 interest here. I just have to touch the FR where I'd have to exert a little more force on the bar of a Bigsby to achieve the same effect. Damn, you seem kinda thick for a know it all.

Is the tone block of an OFR not a big mass? If the tone difference can be adjusted for at the amp (like Eddie) what's the big deal? Why didn't Eddie use a Bigsby and save himself from having to twist a dial or two?

The contact points as illustrated don't seem very different that a wrap around non trem bridge would be.

Sorry, you were unable to change my mind. You don't really have any back-up and keep stating you opinion as fact. I'll keep using my Floyd Rose equipped guitars while staying in tune. I would not omit a guitar from my GAS list though simply because it had a Bigsby though. That would be closed minded of me. There are pros and cons of both designs. I set my Fender style (6 and 2 screw!!) tremolos up to float too. Want to try and change my mind on that personal preference?

I can see that most of what I wrote went over your head. Perhaps you should read it a few more times before attempting to respond.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Example of
subtle
(delicate or faint and mysterious) Floyd use
: place one finger on the bar (or arm if you prefer) and press lightly.

Example of
subtle
(thin, tenuous) Floyd knowledge
:Uma Floresta's

Yeah...just hack a bunch of frets off of the neck of the guitar or half (maybe more) of the keys off of the piano...you don't need the range.

There's something about having a car with a Hemi and only using all of the power when you have to but still driving it 25 mph to get groceries.

Bending pitch more than a semitone is only useful in the wank genres, which fall outside of tasteful. If you can't understand why having an equal range of motion controlling a much smaller range of pitch allows for superior control of subtle pitch variations, I suggest you bone up on your physics.

You wear your ignorance like a lace teddy woven from your own underarm deodorant flakes.

• Members

We realize that he's trolling his own face off while you stroke his Bigsby.

Yeah yeah I get it. He's the same in another forum here. I think he believes his own tripe though. Otherwise he wouldn't bother.

I my be ignorant to Uma's point of view but that is only because he is blocked. I unblock him in HCGF because I am interested in other takes on equipment. Now I know I can feel confident that I'm not missing anything factual by leaving him blocked here too.

• Members
Yeah yeah I get it. He's the same in another forum here. I think he believes his own tripe though. Otherwise he wouldn't bother.

I my be ignorant to Uma's point of view but that is only because he is blocked. I unblock him in HCGF because I am interested in other takes on equipment. Now I know I can feel confident that I'm not missing anything factual by leaving him blocked here too.

I can see you're content to wallow in ignorance and misinformation. Who am I to stand in the way of your contentment? :)

• Members

Back to the point of this thread, I think Jay should take his bendy bar model (shown earlier in the thread) and take an idea like the STETSBAR and merge them into a cheap Bendy Bar (that is my new patented name for this vibrato that will be designed here in HC and created by Jay. The "Bendy Bar"

So, merge this idea with that one:
chrome_strat_big.jpg

• Members

I can see you're content to wallow in ignorance and misinformation. Who am I to stand in the way of your contentment?
:)

I know who you are not. You are not one who has the ability to enlighten anyone on any topic that requires more than just your opinion. The only misinformation I got in this thread came from you anyway. Plus you are a troll. Wallow on my ingore list where you seem to have been happy.

Back to the point of this thread, I think Jay should take his bendy bar model (shown earlier in the thread) and take an idea like the STETSBAR and merge them into a cheap Bendy Bar (that is my new patented name for this vibrato that will be designed here in HC and created by Jay. The "Bendy Bar"

The Stetsbar or BendyBar may or may not be able to achieve the same subtle nuances that a Bigsby can. I guess you can look for an expert to inform you of it's design/ construction limitations

Archived