OK, which pup for a single pup guitar?

cBc

• Members

I have a used Yamaha SE150 heading my way, thinking of updating it a bit , to kind of a San Dimas type thang, it has only one pup & a vol pot . Would like to put something else in it, but what?

Don't want something that is too high output, that can grunt & growl , yet still sound chimey & clear at lower gain levels . (think Leslie West meets Gilmour)

Any suggestions? :confused:

• Members

Yeah, p90.

Maybe a prails so you could have a little more variety (at the cost of some tone) they sound good though, had one in a one pup guitar. Loud, dark humbucker, meh sounding p90, single coil rail was a lil thin, all were fairly decent though. Lot to squeeze out of one pickup.

• Members

What size is the hole?

I always prefer a ballsy single coil over a humbucker (buckers are
way
overrated, IMO). Or a P 90. If the hole is HB sized, I'd try a GFS Mean 90...

Yeah, looks to be a standard HB hole (guitar is due in next week), so options are mos def there, but not thinking SC fo this guitar, as I have 5 others already.

• Members

Yeah, p90.

Maybe a prails so you could have a little more variety (at the cost of some tone) they sound good though, had one in a one pup guitar. Loud, dark humbucker, meh sounding p90, single coil rail was a lil thin, all were fairly decent though. Lot to squeeze out of one pickup.

Everything I've seen on p-rails recommends having a pair in order for them to sound their best.

• Members

Dean Mountain of Tone (Leslie West). I am tellin' ya man, it is nuclear hot, but does great clean too.

Second model down the list, check the audio clip.

http://www.deanguitars.com/dean_pickups.php

LOL..well of course that was my first choice, but dayum, 17k ohm rating is hotter than {censored}.

Tho' I dug the crap out of that clip! :thu:

Hmm.. Les is my hero, I may have to have a guitar that has one in it.

Just for reference, the guitar is just like this one, just diff color.

Actually this thing sounds pretty ballsy stock

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Really, my leaping to recommending to the blazing Dean Mountain Of Tone is how good it sounds dialed back. I mean most rockers feel a comfort zone (or something to hide behind) with distort-o-buckerz, but the cleans are unbelievable from a pickup so 'hot'. I'm a single coil (Strat - Tele - P90 Melody Maker) guy, but got a great deal on a Leslie West sig Standard (MIK) guitar. Leslie completely changed my life, gotta have it. If I can't use it at the gig, I still got it, right?

WOW was I surprised! This thing WORKS!! Btw... the coils are unbalanced, meaning there is a dominant coil and another RWRP coil that cancels a lot of hum. With the dominant coil thing, the Mountain of Tone pickup retains a lot of single coil character while still being classified as a humbucker. I LOVE this thing, and I pretty much hate humbuckers. The reason I don't like 'buckers is that the clean tone is not 'airy'. Regular humbucker 'clean' still leaves a big sonic footprint. The Mountain Of Tone pickup kind of turns into a single coil as you dial back the volume pot. A best of both worlds thing.

If you got a chance to gig with one, it wouldn't take long to know what I mean.

I know that you will wind up doing whatever you want and if it's not the MOT pickup, I hope that it makes you totally happy. Really, BG makes great stuff, VVG, Lollar, several P90 clones are great pickups. I couldn't fault you for any selection you make. I just think that the Mountain Of Tone pickup is a very misunderstood pickup. It has great hot tones, but great clean tones too. Yeah 16.57k ohm is a lotta k's... and it is scorching hot, but despite all of the k's, it is not just a distort-o-bucker. It really is versatile. You are not locked into rage metal. I feel that to some extent the audio clip demonstrates that, but the amp is set to 'rage'. Despite the high gain setting, the pickup still cleans up.

Again, I know that you will do what you want. I am just surprised as hell at the MOT pickup, so please consider this a recommendation from a happy owner with actual playing hours on this model.

• Members

Really, my leaping to recommending to the blazing Dean Mountain Of Tone is how good it sounds dialed back. I mean most rockers feel a comfort zone (or something to hide behind) with distort-o-buckerz, but the cleans are unbelievable from a pickup so 'hot'. I'm a single coil (Strat - Tele - P90 Melody Maker) guy, but got a great deal on a Leslie West sig Standard (MIK) guitar. Leslie completely changed my life, gotta have it. If I can't use it at the gig, I still got it, right?

WOW was I surprised! This thing WORKS!! Btw... the coils are unbalanced, meaning there is a dominant coil and another RWRP coil that cancels a lot of hum. With the dominant coil thing, the Mountain of Tone pickup retains a lot of single coil character while still being classified as a humbucker. I LOVE this thing, and I pretty much hate humbuckers. The reason I don't like 'buckers is that the clean tone is not 'airy'. Regular humbucker 'clean' still leaves a big sonic footprint. The Mountain Of Tone pickup kind of turns into a single coil as you dial back the volume pot. A best of both worlds thing.

If you got a chance to gig with one, it wouldn't take long to know what I mean.

I know that you will wind up doing whatever you want and if it's not the MOT pickup, I hope that it makes you totally happy. Really, BG makes great stuff, VVG, Lollar, several P90 clones are great pickups. I couldn't fault you for any selection you make. I just think that the Mountain Of Tone pickup is a very misunderstood pickup. It has great hot tones, but great clean tones too. Yeah 16.57k ohm is a lotta k's... and it is scorching hot, but despite all of the k's, it is not just a distort-o-bucker. It really is versatile. You are not locked into rage metal. I feel that to some extent the audio clip demonstrates that, but the amp is set to 'rage'. Despite the high gain setting, the pickup still cleans up.

Again, I know that you will do what you want. I am just surprised as hell at the MOT pickup, so please consider this a recommendation from a happy owner with actual playing hours on this model.

Sounds interesting, cool design.

• Members

For more of a rock machine, I'd probably go with a Custom 5.

I have an LTD SG Jr knockoff that I'm going to put a TV Jones Classic in, but I might put a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in for a while first. Either way, the Duncan Invader has GOT to go!

:lol:

DSC_5260a1.jpg

• Members

OK, got the guitar in yesterday, & it seems solid enough to drop some coin into.

Neck feels nice, guitar has some weight to it & the frets are in great shape.

The only possible bummer is that I'd hoped to be able to drop in a GFS replacement trem, but the mounting screws appear to be a tad wider. Will pull off the Yam bridge tonight & see if a Squire bridge will drop in, since those holes are exact fit to a GFS bridge. Fingers crossed.

So I placed my order for a black & cream Mountain of Tone pup today at MF :thu: Most I ever spent on a single pickup ( & twice what the guitar cost me).

Next up is a set of tuners. This should be fun!

• Members

Nice! Those are a really flattering take on the SG shape. :thu:

For more of a rock machine, I'd probably go with a Custom 5.

I have an LTD SG Jr knockoff that I'm going to put a TV Jones Classic in, but I might put a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in for a while first. Either way, the Duncan Invader has GOT to go!

:lol:

DSC_5260a1.jpg

Archived