PRS SE Guitars... your opinion please!

cvogue

• Members

What do you think of these guitars?

What would you think of them if the tuners were replaced with locking tuners on a trem model?

I'd like a used US made PRS but finding one I like that I can afford is difficult. I've got about a grand to spend, was considering buying an SE (the 25th anniversary one is nice, has bird inlays and better pickups than the other SE's) and putting some money into upgrading it.

Also wondering how the trem is... does it stay in tune well for dive bomb kinds of things (or would it with a set of locking tuners installed?)

Whatchya think EG?

Thanks for any insight. :thu:

• Members

Good questions.

I have a CE24 and I just bought an SE Singlecut yesterday.

The SE's are very nice. The quality is excellent, the pups are really pretty good, the wiring is nice, and the necks are very well done. They are fabulous modding platforms. Locking tuners are nice but a new nut will do more to keep it in tune. If you get one, work on the nut first.

That said, a USA PRS is a whole other animal. The SE's look like them but they share no parts, the designs are different, and the materials are not as good.

If you have a $1000 budget, you can find a used CE24, Standard 24 or maybe a CE22 in that range.

I would look at those first.

• Members

Good questions.

I have a CE24 and I just bought an SE Singlecut yesterday.

The SE's are very nice. The quality is excellent, the pups are really pretty good, the wiring is nice, and the necks are very well done. They are fabulous modding platforms. Locking tuners are nice but a new nut will do more to keep it in tune. If you get one, work on the nut first.

That said, a USA PRS is a whole other animal. The SE's look like them but they share no parts, the designs are different, and the materials are not as good.

If you have a $1000 budget, you can find a used CE24, Standard 24 or maybe a CE22 in that range.

I would look at those first.

Yeah I've been looking for some time... it's difficult to get something in that price range, just not many out there. I'm still looking though. Just getting frustrated and may punt and go with an SE.

• Members

I haved owned a SE and it was a very nice guitar but sold it later. I just bought a PRS SC245 and it is the sweetest guitar I have ever layed my hands on. My advice would be to wait a bit longer and buy a US made PRS, trust you will enjoy it more and it will most likely be with you longer.

• Members

I like my SE Soap quite a bit. It's a good guitar. I did put on a set of winged locking tuners..I know the tuners are worth more than the guitar..Well sorta.

But like Pete said you can find some nice used USA PRS for under a grand. I have 2 that were well under a grand. I don't think I'll ever part with them.

You just have to be patient and shop around.

But otherwise the SEs are nice guitars and they're very affordable at that.

• Members

I like my SE Soap quite a bit. It's a good guitar. I did put on a set of winged locking tuners..I know the tuners are worth more than the guitar..Well sorta.

But like Pete said you can find some nice used USA PRS for under a grand. I have 2 that were well under a grand. I don't think I'll ever part with them.

You just have to be patient and shop around.

But otherwise the SEs are nice guitars and they're very affordable at that.

I know... I'm picky and not patient. Ugly combo! :o

• Members

I don't like the SE neck shape. The one I tried was painted (uck) and was on the Soapbar II or something like that.

Love the wide-thin neck on my CE24.

Everything else on the guitar seemed fine.

• Members

I know... I'm picky and not patient. Ugly combo!
:o

Post in the classifieds sections of some different forums. Try The Gear Page, Birds & Moons, etc.

When I was looking for a CE I posted on Birds & Moons looking for a beater CE24.

I got a PM from a member there with a nice one for $800.

They are out there, just keep looking.

• Members

I agree with most of what is posted here. Nothing wrong with the SEs, but if you have $1K to spend, there should be used MIA PRS models available fairly often. My CE22 in great shape was $900, for example, and I have heard of better deals.

• Members

I spent some time with a mark 1 SE Santana that CSM left here.

Very very nicely made..feels like a "real" guitar, has a strong Gibson junior/special/SG vibe too, and plays like a good un. I could get the action silly shredder low with no buzzing.

Can't comment on the pickups...Charlies SE has Bare knuckle P90s fitted....

:thu:

• Members

I have an SE and do like it a lot.

I did replace the Nut with a Bone Nut, and added locking tunners.

The locking tunners did nothing to help the guitar stay in tune, nor did the nut.

Only since using this stuff called "Nut Sauce" was I able to get things mostly under control.

4577652208_e5cbd254e5_b.jpg

• Members

Just keep in mind that about the only thing the SE guitars have in common with the real PRS guitars is the shape. Play a few and will see what I mean.

Basically the SE guitars are about the same quality as most Korean built mid-range guitars.

The thing that put me off was the thick plastic like finish on the necks of the ones I tried, they just felt cheap and plastic to me. I went to GC expecting to buy one and played a few. I left without buying a guitar. I feel my two Agile AL-3000 guitars fit my expectations and hands much better.

Max

• Members

I have a Santana SE that I bought used for $350 and really like a lot. It was fine in stock condition, but one of the reasons I bought it was as a platform for customizing. I originally put a Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge, both with mini toggles for 3 way switching, but I eventually removed the Jazz to put in a Sustainiac. I also added a Roland synth pickup, GraphTech bridge saddles, and Planet Waves locking tuners. It was a big investment, but well worth it to me - it sounds amazing. But even without all the upgrades, it was a very nice guitar for the money. I love the trem on it. It's got a wonderful feel and I like it a lot better than the one on my Strat.

• Members

i have a santana se and had a singlecut se. i think the pickups in the santana are a bit muddy, i think i remember the pups in the singlecut being clearer.

going to change the pups in the santana soon i hope, cause its probably the best feeling guitar i got.

KopiavS6303672.jpg

• Members

I love my Santana Se but would opt for a Mira if I was to strip an Se and upgrade. Probably cost about the same when all is said and done.

I respectfully disagree.

A used Mira will run you around $1200. A used SE in decent shape will run you between $250 and $500 or so. With upgraded pickups you're in for another $150 or so...

However, the Mira is a badass guitar with a coil tap and I'd buy one over an SE even though I love my SE Santana to death.

• Members

I agree with everyone here. I just got a 25th anniversary se custom 24 and love it - looks and sounds amazing for a little over 500 bones from sweetwater. I love the wide thin neck plus the birds are cool - while I have never played a US model I mine is quickly on it's way to my number 1. A few issues I have is the trem - I really have issues with keeping it in tune, more so then other tremolo guitars I have.

Archived