Do you use fuzz?

blingdogg

• Members
i have two fuzz pedals that i'm diggin' these days; a sunface and "big beautiful muff" made by fellow HC'er NOS68. neither of them is an 'always-on' type of pedal, but it's great for leads or melodic parts where i want a very distressed, singing tone.

i also have a few ODs and at least one distortion pedal on my board. i think my pedalboard is more than half made up of dirt boxes.
:facepalm:

NOS68 made my Ole Fuzzy too. While I have used it as my main lead boost in the past, it has been dethroned by my new bb preamp. It's still a good fuzz though and I use it now when I need "that" sound.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I realize that I like fuzz for riffs and some soloing, but not for chords, even power chords. I like the tight, focused sound of overdrive for that. Fuzz usually sounds too messy for chords and double-stops which I play a lot of.

You can certainly do all those things w/ a MkII or III tonebender- think Page on Zep I for example. The Throbak Stonebender (MkII) and Fulltone Soulbender (MkIII derivitive) are two great examples- much tighter and more focused than any fuzzface.

• Members

You can certainly do all those things w/ a MkII or III tonebender- think Page on Zep I for example. The Throbak Stonebender (MkII) and Fulltone Soulbender (MkIII derivitive) are two great examples- much tighter and more focused than any fuzzface.

That sounds like what I need, and I'm really considering getting a Tonebender pedal later this year. I like fuzz but not its messiness... I usually go for a tight sound. That's why I don't use fuzz as much as I'd like sometimes.

I'm going to check out these two pedals you mentioned. Page got some awesome tones with tonebenders...he and his tone are favorites of mine.

• Members

Fuzz is a tough pedal to get right IMO. I hated my American Big Muff. I had a BBE Free Fuzz that was a hundred times better IMO. Then I found my Toad by Vintage Technologies and the Free Fuzz went on Craigs (be forewarned that the Toad is only battery driven). With my Toad, my Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, my Delta Lab Tube Overdrive, and my Coffin Case Blood Drive Distortion, I feel like I can cover all my bases very well.

• Members

Yeah... I have three or four fuzzes and they are fun for about a half hour at a time.

When we had our house listed for sale, but we had already moved to the new place, I could REALLY rock out at the old place and I did use a fuzz quite often. LP > Fuzz > Marshall DSL 401 > Marshall 4x12! Doing my best Neal Schon/Mick Ralphs impersonation.

:lol:

• Members

That sounds like what I need, and I'm really considering getting a Tonebender pedal later this year. I like fuzz but not its messiness... I usually go for a tight sound. That's why I don't use fuzz as much as I'd like sometimes.

I'm going to check out these two pedals you mentioned. Page got some awesome tones with tonebenders...he and his tone are favorites of mine.

No messy fuzz sounds to be found here- check it out:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I like my Analogman Sunface Fuzz a lot, but it took awhile for me to figure it out. Basically, it only sounds good if the amp is cranked up really loud. Doyle Bramhall II uses the same fuzz pedal on his board. Unfortunately, mine broke and needs repair.

Archived