Do you use fuzz?

blingdogg

• Members
I want to build one of the fuzz kits from general guitar gadgets.

I just got finished building both a Mindbender MkII clone (which telecaster911 fabricated the pcb for), and a BSIAB2 distortion pedal from general guitar gadgets.

I like them both, but, damned if the BSIAB2 doesn't nail the tones I really like to use. The fuzz is fine, but I can see it getting fairly limited use.

The fuzz pedal:

Pedal12.jpg

FuzzComplete.jpg

Clip 1

Clip 2

And the BSIAB2:

BSIAB8.jpg

BSIAB2Finished.jpg

Clip

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love fuzz.... right now I have a Musket Fuzz and couldn't be happier... the songs my band plays hardly calls for its use though but I still try and find a way to sneak it in when I can...

• Members

love fuzz... great pedals to use your guitar's tone and volume knobs with... that's really where it's at imo

i use... catalinbread v8 ... voodoo lab superfuzz... ehx big muff pi.... ehx graphic fuzz... dano french toast... and my ehx tubezipper gets fuzzy too

• Members

I'm trying out something different now. At first I only used either a fuzz or an overdrive/distortion for a boost, but I'm now going to have one of each on my board and alternate them. So I can use the fuzz for the right parts, and when I need more definition and crunch I'll switch to the overdrive. Right now I'm using my EHX Double Muff for fuzz, and a Dano Cool Cat Distortion. I had some fun with my Dunlop Fuzz Face last night though. :rawk:

Occasionally.

My fave fuzz is an EH "Double Muff"...you can cascade one fuzz into another...great for those Hendrixy/vintage type fuzz sounds.

:thu:

Man, I really love the Double Muff. I've had my pedal for a few years now and it's one of my favorites. Kinda like a fuzzface style fuzz mixed with overdrive/distortion. So many cool sounds with it. I think I like it so much because it's not a 100% fuzz pedal.

• Members

I have the Big Muff USA and the Russian Big Muff. i use the russian for a lead/overdrive tone with the fuzz at a moderate to low level and then use the USA for a full on fuzzy mess. Sometimes i use them together to get that great compressed and clipped sound.

• Members

BSIAB2Finished.jpg

Looks like it's working great. It even distorted the pic. :thu:

Back to topic, in the early seventies, I had a univox superfuzz and if I had known how cool this would be to still have (and use) today, I would not have given it away (I sold it for mere peanuts like everything I sold in those days).

• Members

I realize that I like fuzz for riffs and some soloing, but not for chords, even power chords. I like the tight, focused sound of overdrive for that. Fuzz usually sounds too messy for chords and double-stops which I play a lot of.

Had fun with my Fuzz Face today... I think I'll leave it on my board for a while. Sounds sweet with a neck pickup. Yeah, I'm in love with fuzz again. :love:

My next fuzz to get is either a tonebender style or an octave fuzz like the one Pete Townshend used. Superfuzz I think.

• Members
I realize that I like fuzz for riffs and some soloing, but not for chords, even power chords. I like the tight, focused sound of overdrive for that. Fuzz usually sounds too messy for chords and double-stops which I play a lot of.

Had fun with my Fuzz Face today... I think I'll leave it on my board for a while. Sounds sweet with a neck pickup. Yeah, I'm in love with fuzz again.
:love:

My next fuzz to get is either a tonebender style or an octave fuzz like the one Pete Townshend used. Superfuzz I think.

I just got a BYOC Leeds based on Petes Univox Superfuzz, its a neat little fuzz! Im sure others make clones of the univox superfuzz just google around.

For tonebenders look at PE Yardbox or Throbak Stonebender

• Members

Well, let's see.

I've still got my BYOC Fuzz Face I've been holding onto for years now, just recently switched the transistors out for silicons. I've been using it more for bass than anything, though after screwing with the gain trimpot I've found more guitar use out of it.....

Main unit, though, is a Devi Ever Hyperion. Same general tonal family as a Big Muff, kinda, but with more roughness, a bit more glitchiness and sputter when you want it, and WAY more midrange content. Cuts through a live mix brilliantly. Demo vid from PGS below:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived