Do you use fuzz?

blingdogg

• Members

Just wondering. I like the sound of so many guitarists that use(d) fuzz pedals heavily. My favorite guitarists (Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Dan Auerbach, Jack White etc...) used it a lot and I love their tones, but I have a love/hate relationship with fuzz pedals, even though my music is influenced by them so much.

I have a nice new blue Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, a USA Big Muff PI, an EHX Double Muff, and I've tried others. But for me it's always like it sounds cool for busting out a few licks or riffs but I can't use fuzz long term as my main sound. Overdrive suits me better I guess.

Anyone like that? You love a certain kind of recorded tone by artists but it doesn't work in your hands when you play guitar? :poke:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just wondering. I like the sound of so many guitarists that use(d) fuzz pedals heavily. My favorite guitarists (Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Dan Auerbach, Jack White etc...) used it a lot and I love their tones, but I have a love/hate relationship with fuzz pedals, even though my music is influenced by them so much.

I have a nice new blue Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, a USA Big Muff PI, an EHX Double Muff, and I've tried others. But for me it's always like it sounds cool for busting out a few licks or riffs but I can't use fuzz long term as my main sound. Overdrive suits me better I guess.

Anyone like that? You love a certain kind of recorded tone by artists but it doesn't work in your hands when you play guitar? :poke:

hiya BD, long time buddy... i'm that way with my CC Fuzz, i still like it, but i find myself using a combination of OD and distortion way more than the fuzz...

• Members

I have a few. A homemade silicon Fuzz Face (hotter than stock) is always on my pedalboard. And I few a few vintage piece around for flavor. For me they are an effect, like a wah, that may get used for two songs otherwise they start to sound gimmicky.

• Members

My favorite guitarists (Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Dan Auerbach, Jack White etc...) used it a lot and I love their tones

But for me it's always like it sounds cool for busting out a few licks or riffs but I can't use fuzz long term as my main sound. Overdrive suits me better I guess.

I think that's actually how those guys used them for the most part. Amp overdrive for general use, and bang on the fuzz for given riffs or solos.

If you listen to the rhythm guitar lines on lots of Hendrix records, they're actually just sort of on the edge of amp break up, rather than fully fuzzed out (apart from odd exceptions like Purple Haze). Listen back to the stuff on Axis: Bold as Love, for example.

• Members

Yes. They do sound odd compared to modern distortion pedals.

You have to do a lot more work carefully matching up the guitar, amp and fuzz settings than you do on modern gear. They're probably overrated, when you get down to the truth of it. That's "vintage" for you, I suppose.

• Members

Sunface

Super Fuzz

Beano boost, its like a half fuzz

Sunface with the Beano is a beauty queen

Sunface with the Beano AND the Super Fuzz is a dirty little whore, you still want to hit it, but the next morning leaves you smelling like booze with cocaine in your mustache

• Members

A thread here got me looking at a fuzz pedal called "OXfuzz." Pull the trigger, I've had just a few days with it. Was a little disappointed at first, but stacking it with distortion and or overdrive proved usable and interesting. My verdict on fuzz is still out.

I didn't realize there where so many types of Fuzz, whoa.

• Members

zvex-mastotron.jpg

It's on pretty much all the time. I actually mostly use it to add just a slight amount of hair. Fuzz is normally all the way down and I use the Relax/Push to adjust how much it breaks up. Sounds lovely. Never played a fuzz pedal as useful as this one.

I'm a big Auerbach fan myself.

• Members

i have two fuzz pedals that i'm diggin' these days; a sunface and "big beautiful muff" made by fellow HC'er NOS68. neither of them is an 'always-on' type of pedal, but it's great for leads or melodic parts where i want a very distressed, singing tone.

i also have a few ODs and at least one distortion pedal on my board. i think my pedalboard is more than half made up of dirt boxes. :facepalm:

• Members

Can't get into fuzz at all. It's really just not my style - I tend to like smooth and very clear tones which of course is not what you get from a fuzz. Although interesting, Eric Johnson has a very smooth tone and he does it with a fuzz, and some people have said my Strat OD tone sounds like his. But I get my best results from overdrives, fuzz always sounds sloppy and wild when I play it.

• Members

Can't get into fuzz at all. It's really just not my style - I tend to like smooth and very clear tones which of course is not what you get from a fuzz. Although interesting, Eric Johnson has a very smooth tone and he does it with a fuzz, and some people have said my Strat OD tone sounds like his. But I get my best results from overdrives, fuzz always sounds sloppy and wild when I play it.

It does make you play in a different way, definitely. You have to dig into it a lot more than you do with full on overdrive. Fuzz is best paired with a nice compressor, IMO, makes it less chaotic to deal with.

Archived