Ben Harper's guitarist takes Bill Withers' "Use Me" to the next level. (vid content)

fabstrat

• Members

sorry to be the party pooper again, but I'm ready to stop pretending. I'm coming out and saying I just don't GET this type of music. I think it's plain out boring. it's not because I'm not mature enough or not old enough or haven't heard enough music. I've heard it, I just don't get the appeal. I rule.

I mean, I like watching these guys play. key word, watching. I'm curious as someone who likes instruments and watching them being played. but just as a song, listening to this, it's {censored}ing boring. again, I rule.

• Members

i'm from south louisiana, and i grew up on it from my parents (i'm 22, but its all my mom played really). Not sure where your located, but we have an unbelievable natural attraction to grooves down here for some reason, and have probably one the greatest per capita collections of people who can actually dance, so i'll just say its in my blood

• Members

I liked this overall, and I generally love Ben Harper. But ultimately the bland vocal kind of {censored}ed it up for me. I love Withers' original vocal and kind of kept waiting for Harper to open up on this bitch... Never happened, though.

• Members

I liked this overall, and I generally love Ben Harper. But ultimately the bland vocal kind of {censored}ed it up for me. I love Withers' original vocal and kind of kept waiting for Harper to open up on this bitch... Never happened, though.

Same for me, it's like he was doing an emotionless version with a brief moment of over compensation toward the end.

• Members

I like Ben Harper (I'd better) but that riff is way too monotonous for a six-minute song. They don't really go anywhere with it and the musicians are so precise it just sounds like a sampled loop. Guitar solo sounded totally ordinary and generic to me. Great tone though.

It was worth a listen, but it just reminded me how good the original was.

• Members

It's funny you should post that song because my drummer just suggested we do it a couple of days ago. It's not our usual cup of tea either but it's got a nice grove.

I hadn't heard that version of it though.

• Members

I like Ben Harper (I'd better) but that riff is way too monotonous for a six-minute song. They don't really go anywhere with it and the musicians are so precise it just sounds like a sampled loop. Guitar solo sounded totally ordinary and generic to me. Great tone though.

It was worth a listen, but it just reminded me how good the original was.

I dont know man i dont know what you want them to do to the riff or where you would see it going.

they are precise because they are professional musicians, some of the best around. It's not sampled, obviously you see them playing, maybe because they are at the abby road studio it sounds too clean or studio like, i get that.

Nobody can be withers, ben is doing ben and doing his take on use me. some get it some dont. reminds me of a talk i had with a fried who was making similar statements about ben harpers version of sexual healing.

i've seen him play both live, they are great and you see no other acts covering those kind of songs like ben does.

• Members

Nothing really to say except if you don't get this, you never will. RIP

harper doesn't do without full on emotion, except maybe a press interview. I find him bringing the emotion the whole time clear as day. If you are new to harper i can understand how you could see over compensation.

I dont know man i dont know what you want them to do to the riff or where you would see it going.

they are precise because they are professional musicians, some of the best around. It's not sampled, obviously you see them playing, maybe because they are at the abby road studio it sounds too clean or studio like, i get that.

Nobody can be withers, ben is doing ben and doing his take on use me. some get it some dont. reminds me of a talk i had with a fried who was making similar statements about ben harpers version of sexual healing.

i've seen him play both live, they are great and you see no other acts covering those kind of songs like ben does.

If you can't tell the difference between the musicians and a sampled loop, why bother with the musicians at all? We're not hearing "professionalism" here, we're hearing a group of visibly bored musicians repeating one riff exactly the same way for six minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I was at work when this thread was posted so I really didn't give the solo that close a listen.

I'm playing this song with the band tomorrow for the first time so I came back to check it out.

I wouldn't have considered this song as a vehicle for a scorching rock solo but he definitely pushed the other guys up to a higher energy level.

Archived