Black Limba / Flame Maple And A BG S90 ... Lap Steels Rock

Quarter

• Members

This is a revised version of my Cody model, a little simpler model than some of my creations, but built with all the love and killer tone that you would expect from one of my instruments. My goal with the Cody is to fill the middle / intermediate void in my lineup. I also plan to offer it in a drilled, routed, and ready to finish body only / custom kit form for those that like to do some work on their own.

Some basic specs

Black Limba body

flame maple fretboard and control cover

black walnut inlay

BG-Pups S90 pickup

And a couple quick pics, more when the battery's are charged.

Cody-002-23.jpg

Cody-002-21.jpg

Cody-002-19.jpg

Cody-002-22.jpg

• Members

Thanks all :)

I wanna learn slide just so I can have an excuse to get one.
:facepalm:

EG

You got that backwards ... get a steel first. then you will have something to learn on ;) Seriously though, the basics come fairly quick and the fun is instant! If you want. give me a shout and I'll hook you up. The limba one is going to get blown out for a Memorial sale and here is another body style that can be done for around the same price point.

r003-30.jpg

• Members

Thanks again all :)

What tuning do you use for lap steel? Do you use roundwound strings or flats?

Lots of great tunings to use. My main steels are usually open E and D for rock and blues stuff, though this one is in C6 for a change. I like round wounds for most stuff, but have some SIT semi flats on this one for a smoother clean tone.

Out of curiosity how far do you like (ball park) your SCs from the strings on your steels?

Depends on the pickup just like on a normal guitar. I generally start around an 1/8" and work up or down from there to find the sweet spot. That said, in general I like the pickups maybe a tad lower than some for the more pronounced clarity and character.

• Members

that fretboard...SO BEAUTIFUL!!

I got lucky finding that piece of maple. I was down at my local hardwood dealer picking up some mahogany and found that piece in the maple rack. They don't upcharge for figured stock so I got it at regular maple price, all 12' x 9" of it :D

• Members

Out of curiosity for the DIY crowd, is there maybe any interest out there for a drilled, routed ready to finish lap steel body only?

We have tons of options for regular guitar bodys, necks, and such from the likes of Warmoth, Allparts, Mighty Mite, etc, but not so much for the steel crowd.

• Members

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Out of curiosity for the DIY crowd, is there maybe any interest out there for a drilled, routed ready to finish lap steel body only?

We have tons of options for regular guitar bodys, necks, and such from the likes of Warmoth, Allparts, Mighty Mite, etc, but not so much for the steel crowd.

Archived