MIM Fender Strat for $250?

adamthemute

• Members

Hell, I bought a drop-dead MINT 2004 all stock w/plastic on the PG MIM Strat Standard from SAM ASH for $243. out the door. Thats not a great deal. If its a real nice playing/sounding guitar, and you dig it, than its a decent price.

The Midnight Wine Strat I bought? I was playing it while they were getting my Clapton ready. The guitar played and sounded so good I had to have it.

I dropped a Jackson J-100 Custom Shop SC-pup in the neck. Thats all that guitar needed. Sound awesome now. The neck/middle position is one of the best I've heard with the Jackson mixed with the Ceramic Fender SC.

But my sister bought a 2002 MIM Tele Standard w/HS Tweed Fender case. In Agave Blue all stock in not MINT but Excellent shape for $75.00! She gave me the Tweed case....ah sisters! Sold the Tele on E-Bay for $350. and the guy loved the guitar. I gave her back a MF HSC-[$39.00 one] for it!

• Members

I sure would like to know where all of these $200 to $250 mint Strats are because I sure never see them. The only ones I've seen for $250 are filthy and looked banged to Hell.

You guys must live in some kind of used guitar Mecca.

I payed $125 at a pawn shop and had a veeery nice neck and tuners, tho the frets are now quite woern , it was a great sounding strat. I'd say if it's an early 90's get it they're very good axes. the pups are crap ceramic with metal studs.Swap'em.

• Members

Absolutely that's a good deal. At least, if you like it. Play it, and if it feels right, buy it.

I have a 2006 MIM Strat, and I swear, I've never played a Strat with so much mojo. It sounds great stock - very, very vintage type tone. Is it a MIA Strat? No. And I'm glad! The MIA's sound too modern to my ears. The MIM's seem to have the more vintage type sound, which I love.

If I would get another Strat or get a Tele, it would be a MIM for sure. And for $250? Even if there are a couple dings on it that's still a good deal.

• Members

Mine is a 2005 Satin Strat and it plays KILLER. I love the neck. I did change out the bridge pickup with a GFS Lil' Killer. Nothing wrong with the stock pup but I like a stacked humbucker...just a personal preference. And yeah, I paid $250.00 for the axe on the bay whereas GC wanted $350.00 for a banged up wall model. I played a lot of strats on the wall and the MIM sounded better overall. So, $250.00 for the axe, $27.00 for the pickup...kick ass axe for under 3 bills...I can live with that.

• Members

Absolutely that's a good deal. At least, if you like it. Play it, and if it feels right, buy it.

I have a 2006 MIM Strat, and I swear, I've never played a Strat with so much mojo. It sounds great stock - very, very vintage type tone. Is it a MIA Strat? No. And I'm glad! The MIA's sound too modern to my ears. The MIM's seem to have the more vintage type sound, which I love.

If I would get another Strat or get a Tele, it would be a MIM for sure. And for $250? Even if there are a couple dings on it that's still a good deal.

My MIM 60th strat is my #1 over my MIA Strat, and I swear the pickups in the 60th go with my amps better than the American. The MIA sounds more "refined" but also a tad dull, its tough to describe.

• Members

My MIM 60th strat is my #1 over my MIA Strat, and I swear the pickups in the 60th go with my amps better than the American. The MIA sounds more "refined" but also a tad dull, its tough to describe.

I know exactly what you mean. The MIA does have that more refined sound, but it loses that vintage-like sound, IMO. The newer MIM's nail it though. Who knows...maybe the MIM's are just closer spec-wise to vintage Strats, while the MIA's have tried to "improve" over them?

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Unreal....I can't believe what I am hearing about MIM Strats???? They are DEFINITELY a great guitar,right out of the box! You can't say that about the American Standard Strats.....I have been into guitars for over 50 years,and I'm not ashamed to say,there has been a definite DECLINE in the quality of the American Fender instruments.....I've probably owned more Fenders than most guys,and have my share of Gibson stuff too....To say that an MIM Strat isn't worth $250. is stupid.... Around my neck of the woods they go EASILY for $350.-$375. WITHOUT case!.....The pickups are hot...and fat....not TWANGY,and WEAK like the US Strats....as I said before,great right out of the box! Some do need calibration,and action adjustments,but,thats a matter of taste,isn't it? A lot of 'GUITARISTS'.....Think that if a guitar doesn't play EXACTLY the way their OTHER guitars play,they won't like them....Hmmmm.... Learn how to set a guitar there,guy! :

• Members

Just wait for the next "Fender Friday", and you'll be able to get a new one for $299...

Oh yeah...

:cry:

Seriously, though -- you CAN get better deals on MIM standards in good shape on CL or (possibly, but not in my neck of the woods) pawn shops, but you will have to be patient, pounce quickly, and have the cash in hand. Otherwise, I think that $200-250 is a pretty normal price on an "MZ" standard.

• Members
Yeah.....that's a pretty good deal a MIM Strat?????......I like them OK MYSELF.....!!!!!?.....even the stock pickups are fine if you rout the bridge to the tone control....balances THE whole guitar out SOMEWHAT.....,if you don't like it you can flip it on ebay for $325-$350????......some of the old ones have skinny frets though!!!!!

• Members

Most used MIM strats where I live are listed on craigslist for $300, though a listing price of $250 is getting more common.

I assume people pay a little less than that when the cash actually comes out.

• Members

I don't think $250 is a bad deal either. I guess it depends on your market. I don't see them go for less than that on eBay, and I definitely don't see MIM go for that on my local CL. These wankers want $250 for the low end Squiers. I did, however, score a killer MIM HH Strat w/an SD Custom Custom and Pearly Gates for $120 about a week ago on CL though (just sharing my win). This kid just needed money fast though, it was not a normal price and I don't expect to see anything like it again.

Archived