Why do I never see a real Les Paul ~ Les Paul?

kulardenu

• Members
This is what a Les Paul Tribute should look like in my mind.

image013.jpg
But the only place I ever seen one was in his hands. I suspect this may still be in his hands...

Thats an early prototype of the Les Paul. I bet many here don't even know the Gibson Les Paul was designed by Mr. Les Paul.

• Members

Thats an early prototype of the Les Paul. I bet many here don't even know the Gibson Les Paul was designed by Mr. Les Paul.

No, and no. Les had the idea for a solidbody in the 40's, but got laughed out of Gibson. Leo Fender took the market by storm with the Broadcaster in 1948, and Gibson had to come up with a reply. The guitar was pretty much finished when Les got signed up by Gibson.

The guitar pictured is a Les Paul Personal, and was likely made in the early 70's.

• Members
No, and no. Les had the idea for a solidbody in the 40's, but got laughed out of Gibson. Leo Fender took the market by storm with the Broadcaster in 1948, and Gibson had to come up with a reply. The guitar was pretty much finished when Les got signed up by Gibson.

The guitar pictured is a Les Paul Personal, and was likely made in the early 70's.

The guitar pictured is a Les Paul Recording, which replaced the Les Paul Professional in the early '70's. The recording had more complex electronics and was front-routed.

LPrecshowcase2.jpg

Before switching the the LPR, he used a Les Paul Personal, which was similar to the LP Professional.

gibLP70p5.jpg

• Members

I think the most likely answer is that no one wants one. The solid state electronics in these models has been essentially eclipsed by a variety of advances in microphones, DI boxes, recording devices, stomp boxes, and more advanced computer stuff like MIDI and hex. Not sure there is much of a market for a guitar loaded with state of the art 1970 high technology. They are also fairly ugly to look at, and despite the fact that Les Paul loved them, most people associate him with the more conventional (aka 59 burst type) LP guitar.

• Members

I have an MP3 of a record that Les recorded expounding the benefits of the recording - basically, he didn't like the muffled, treble rolled off jazz guitar sound at all. He liked a clean, trebly almost piercing electric tone and the low impedance pickups had that sound in spades.

It's not a beautiful guitar (well some might like it) but it's interesting and important.

I'd say make 50 for posterity - there would be some who would buy it.

• Members

Yep - Flogger nailed it. The one part of the guitar Les actually had any significant input on (no pun intended) was the electronics.

• Members

I have an MP3 of a record that Les recorded expounding the benefits of the recording - basically, he didn't like the muffled, treble rolled off jazz guitar sound at all. He liked a clean, trebly almost piercing electric tone and the low impedance pickups had that sound in spades.

It's not a beautiful guitar (well some might like it) but it's interesting and important.

I'd say make 50 for posterity - there would be some who would buy it.

so, basically, Les prefered the sound of a Tele. :thu:

• Members

Rumor has it Les built the prototype 'log' guitar that would eventually become the Gibson Les Paul guitar in the Epiphone factory.

but wait would that be the same factory since both Guitars were being built by Gibson in Kalamazoo at that time?

• Members

Rumor has it Les built the prototype 'log' guitar that would eventually become the Gibson Les Paul guitar in the Epiphone factory.

While it's true that Les was experimenting with the 'log',the guitar that was to become known as the 'Les Paul' was designed by Ted McCarty and his team at Gibson.We really should all be playing Gibson Ted McCartys!

• Members

What surprises me is that no one ever mentions the BIGSBY Merle Travis solid body guitar! This was built in 1948 by Bigsby and it features both Gibson and Fender style appointments. It also should remind everyone who gets their panties in a bunch about "copying" designs that everyone was copying designs in those days!!! Note the Les Paul body...before the Les Paul. Note the Strat headstock...before the strat!

bigsby-travis.jpg

• Members

but wait would that be the same factory since both Guitars were being built by Gibson in Kalamazoo at that time?

Nope -- Gibson hadn't yet acquired Epiphone, and they were still separate companies at the time. The takeover didn't occur until 1957, and Lester's experimental prototype was built in the early 1940s.

Tiltsta -- it's no rumour -- it's a solid, verified fact.

• Members

Not true.

Archived