Why do I never see a real Les Paul ~ Les Paul?

kulardenu

• Members
gibson les paul wasnt already made and les paul just came and signed his name to it. Thats total bunk.

It depends on who's story you believe. Most "experts" think the truth is closer to Seth Lover's version of the story than Les'. Les supposedly had a penchant for embellishment. My knowledge comes strictly from having read about 50 books on the history of the LP...perhaps you were there? :confused:

• Members

I can find 50 books that say we never landed on the moon, you find what your looking for. Plenty of idiots get published. Idiots do lots of things. Just look at Al Gore and him claiming he invented the internet and that asshole almost got elected president.

• Members

I can find 50 books that say we never landed on the moon, you find what your looking for. Plenty of idiots get published. Idiots do lots of things. Just look at Al Gore and him claiming he invented the internet and that asshole almost got elected president.

The first "SG" guitars had Les Paul's name on them too. So, do you think he designed that one as well?

• Members

and sorry but Les Paul > you

And that has to do with the conversation how?

By all accounts, except that of Les, he had minimal input on the design of the Les Paul guitars. Sorry you have such trouble accepting the fact that maybe Mr. Paul didn't walk into Gibson with a completed LP and they immediately put it into production as-is.

• Members

It was probably more like:

1. Les put together the Log looking to achieve the sustain and things he was looking for.

2. He brought it to Gibson

3. The Merle Travis guitar was out there

4. Fender was out there

5. Gibson set to work designing something

6. They "refined the design" with Les's input, since he was the player and celebrity.

7. Les was a celebrity, so they got him to endorse their solid bodies, including the SG style, both which were called Les Paul models.

:idk:

• Members

Les Paul DID NOT design the Les Paul guitar. It was Ted McCarty and crew that did that. Les Paul was just the Slash of his day and signed on to the guitar. That said, Les Paul did invent multi-track recording and lots of other things like tape echo for instance.

• Members

The Les Paul professionals/recording are an eccentric nod to the man that gave his name to the Les Paul series.

As far as I'm concerned a traditional Les Paul has a maple cap on mahogany body, and P90s or PAF type 'buckers.

I would imagine that a CS R series guitar is actually a pretty good LP "tribute".

:thu:

• Members
What surprises me is that no one ever mentions the BIGSBY Merle Travis solid body guitar! This was built in 1948 by Bigsby and it features both Gibson and Fender style appointments. It also should remind everyone who gets their panties in a bunch about "copying" designs that everyone was copying designs in those days!!! Note the Les Paul body...before the Les Paul. Note the Strat headstock...before the strat!

bigsby-travis.jpg

Even in this thread, that fugly thing is still ignored. :lol:

• Members

Even in the '50s Les Paul tended to play instruments that were different than what Gibson actually sold. He was a consistent tinkerer, and the Les Pauls he was sent by Gibson tended to have non-standard features like flat tops instead of arched ones.

Paul Bigsby wasn't the inventor of the 6 tuners on a side headstock. Such headstocks weren't uncommon on 19th Century guitars, including the early guitars of CF Martin. http://www.vintagemartin.com/headstocks.html

• Members

Paul Bigsby wasn't the inventor of the 6 tuners on a side headstock. Such headstocks weren't uncommon on 19th Century guitars, including the early guitars of CF Martin.

By the by I wasn't implying that Bigsby invented the 6 on a side headstock, I was simply pointing out that he built a solid body electric that has features resembling both Fender and Gibson style appointments before either one adopted what would become their "patented intellectual property":p

Archived