Where do you get your news?

• Members
I despise TV news, doesn't matter, left, right, or in the middle. I can't even stand Newshour, the venerable PBS show, anymore. And even way back when I
did
watch it, I had to turn it off when the puppet show started, the partisan bickering segment where designated advocates forcefully and forthrightly make idiots of themselves.

BTW, I developed a real soft spot for The Guardian back in the nasty days leading up to and including the Iraq invasion. When a lot of the US media (like the aforementioned NYT and WaPo) got swept up in tin horn chauvinistic posturing, the Guardian was there giving the real scoop.

The Guardian is another good one. I agree about the figureheads on TV. ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty much of an omnivore with a mix of web, broadcast/cable and less and less print on actual paper. My current theory is that you cannot not watch broadcast and be informed.

There is no clearer presentation of the purchasing power of corporate interest than a reflective viewer's observance of TV news. Watch it until you start throwing things. Read some more and watch it again.

• Members
Either you're kidding or you substitute very strong coffee for good sleep. Which is it?

No, I'm not kidding...but I don't check those every day. For the radio stuff, that's usually in the background while working (I can't listen to music while working, it makes me want to stop writing and listen!). The Poli forum I have to visit periodically because of the reported posts, and while I'm there, I poke around for some interesting news.

I check the online news at different times. Actually I go to iht.com instead of the Times, it's the European version and good for world news...I usually check headlines before going to sleep to see what's going on in the part of the world that has already woken up :) The others I'll check while waiting in line somewhere, eating at airports (my phone has pretty much replaced magazines and newspapers), sitting in a plane when you can still use a cell phone before they shut the doors, etc.

TV news is rare for me, but every now and then it's on in the house (my daughter favors CNN), or the only decent thing I can get at a hotel. Being on the road is when I mostly check out the mainstream news.

• Members

Oh yeah, I hit the poli forum like twice a year if I'm terminally bored. No offense, but it's a "feedback loop". I use to cite it as my number one source, but that stopped a while back. Too little moderation.

I agree, the moderator totally sucks. Either that, or maybe he's got better things to do than try to herd a bunch of cats - particularly as so many of the really obnoxious people have figured out how to get around perma-bans, so you can't get rid of them.

• Members

Online:

New York Times

Fox News

BBC

Le Monde

USA Today

World Newspapers (aggregator - very cool)

Harmony Central Political Party forum (seriously)

Radio:

Randi Rhodes

Alex Jones

Rush Limbaugh

Ed Schultz

TV:

Mosaic (Link TV)

Jon Stewart

Bill Maher

CNN

Fox

MSNBC

What from Rush Limbaugh do you consider "news"?

• Members
I agree, the moderator totally sucks. Either that, or maybe he's got better things to do than try to herd a bunch of cats - particularly as so many of the really obnoxious people have figured out how to get around perma-bans, so you can't get rid of them.

;)

• Members

He's no different than Keith Olberman, Chris Matthews or anyone else on the left. They all report "news"....and then they give their heavy handed opinion about the news they just reported.

Most news today is opinion based anyway. And even the ones that aren't still choose their words very carefully to give a certain spin on the story.

• Members

NPR always try to make everything all warm 'n' fuzzy... like their audience was 13 year old babysitters...

On their newscasts?

I don't think so.

Maybe you're just used to the strident hypesterism on commercial outlets -- and the sound-byte-passing-for-journalism mile-a-minute style that lets such outlets 'cover' all the news between 2 minute commercial break spacings.

NPR stories -- whether news or features -- tend to take more time to explore more facets of a given story in depth than other broadcast 'journalism' outfits -- and if one confuses fast pacing for hard hitting reporting, well... :D

• Members

When I saw that collection of radio 'personalities,' I got the distinct impression he was listening for entertainment purposes...

If we ever get that dissonance engine thing going, I'm pretty sure we could lock Alex Jones and Rush Limbaugh up in the dissonance containment chamber and power most of the western United States... I base this on the first law of thermodynamics...

• Moderators

I dislike the rapid fire, over repeated nature of the modern media for news. It inevitably distorts reality. Even without intention.

I'll take my news well thought out. Objective and without sensation.

The Economist out of the UK is excellent.

• Members

-- whether you wanted it or not. Really irritating if you're listening to music or otherwise engaged. Let me
click
to play, Bing!)

Hey Blue,

I was bitching on their forum about the change and I saw you there too... :lol:

• Members

I am legion.

And a real whiner.

;)

BTW... one thing that is sorely missing at Bing News (as far as I can tell) -- the ability to search the news! That certainly means that Bing News can't be a one-stop portal for me. I'll still have to use G-News for searches. But, frankly, I'm hoping that Google will come to their senses and realize that the changes are almost universally disliked.

What I found really interesting in the arc of the hundreds of comments I scanned was that besides there being virtually no voices in support of the changes -- a widespread undercurrent was the sense that that type of disastrously unwanted "feature makeover" has now become a cyber-epidemic spreading across the web from Facebook to Yahoo. (Of course, we've had our own experiences in that regard, as well. Happily, the HC powers that be listened to their users -- despite the fact that undoing the unwanted changes was an enormous and expensive effort.)

Google, of course, is well known for their imperial distance from users, even as its tentacles reach deep into your theoretically anonymized personal data.

That seems to show some signs of change.

For instance, the Google Mail team finally admitted that forcing users to use Gmail's threaded conversation approach was their 'biggest mistake' and that they should have long ago listened to users who pleaded for the addition of a conventional, chronological view.

But users have been crying for that for years and, for most of that time, Google was oddly silent, saying only they had no plans to add that feature, occasionally adding snarkily that their system was so superior that people would surely prefer it if they gave it a try. It apparently escaped their huge and pampered Google brains that folks wouldn't be complaining about the system in such painful detail if they had not, indeed, tried it.

• Members

Online I have my homepage set to MSNBC.com. Which also has lot of links to Newsweek. Also Politico.com

TV is usually CNN and CNBC with some FOX, MSNBC.

Radio is NPR because there's nothing else on the radio broadcasting news anymore other than hourly updates.

• Members

Yeah Blue, I was just perusing
www.news.google.com
and the team Manager told me to tell you that he will be sending you a plate of assorted cheeses to go along with your 'whine'.
;)

If they do it for all us whiners, the folks at the Googleplex will be eating Spam and crackers for their free lunches for a long time, I suspect.

;)

• Members
With all the various information avenues on the superhighway, what are your favorite sources?

ESPN :thu:

I hardly watch mainstream news... its usually the same crap with different names and different locations. All bad/negative stuff I don`t need. Anything major that happens... I will hear about it through conversations with people and I try to avoid certain people as well... same crap with different names and locations.

I stick to sports... its a distraction from reality and its a lot more entertaining. ;)

Archived