Check Your Wireless Gear

golias

• Members

If you live in the US and your wireless mic, belt pack, in-ear monitor (or whatever) happens to operate on a frequency between 698 and 804 HMz, it is ILLEGAL to use as of tomorrow (June 12, 2010) because that band is now reserved for emergency services.

Seriously.

Your receiver probably has a sticker on it somewhere indicating the frequency.

You may think this is something that is cheap and easy to change on the device, or that the FCC is going to somehow compensate you for turning your expensive gadget into a paperweight. You would be wrong. If your gear happens to use the 700 band... you're screwed.

:cop:

• Members

Just noticed Nady has a trade in program if anyone has their stuff.

The following Nady 700MHz wireless systems qualify for this Wireless Trade-In Program2:

1 Transmitter and receiver(s) are required (complete system).

2 This trade-in program does not apply to any other Nady models or individual components.

DKW-8U

U-41 QUAD

U-81 OCTAVO

UHF-4

UHF-24

UWS-1K

PEM-500 (and extra receivers)

• Members

Pretty much every company has a trade in program going. And the FCC didn't give it away, they sold it. Emergency services is only taking a small slice of that band. The rest got auctioned off to companies like Google, Verizon, AT+T, etc. for small handheld wireless devices. Nothing like this happens these days that doesn't have some ulterior, devious corporate motive behind it.

If you think you have it bad with your guitar wireless no longer being legal, my company had to get rid of thousands of dollars worth of 700 mhz systems. Some we traded in, some we sold to a guy in New Zealand, and some still sits on a shelf and will be useless as of tomorrow.

• Members

man, that means my AKG SR40 is useless now.

The receiver shall be a UHF receiver with a single fixed frequency in the 710 MHz to 865 MHz band. The receiver shall provide an on/off switch and RF and power indicators. The audio bandwidth shall be 40 Hz to 20 kHz, with 0.8% typical THD at 1 kHz. The typical A-weighted signal/noise ratio shall be 110 dB(A). The audio output shall be a balanced TRS 1/4" jack, adjustable in level, and deliver 500 mV rms at rated deviation. The receiver shall be housed in a half-rack metal case for easy rack mounting.

• Members

Everyone I've spoken to (even bigtime sound companies) are going to use their gear as long as it still works well, w/o major interference. Mine is in that band and I will keep using it until it has issues. BTW, this was originally supposed to happen last winter but has gotten pushed back a couple times. And I believe those frequencies have been used for other things since that time.

• Members

Audio Technica has a limited-time exchange program on their affected systems... for a whopping 15% off any brand-new Audio Technica wireless system.

:rolleyes:

Better than nothing, I suppose. Sorta. If you're going to do it, you gotta do it by the end of this month, though.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/features/d902a46d7c31c586/index.html/

Sennheiser has a similar program up on their web site.

• Members

indeed it would be a surprise. Huge 'copter full of black suits landing at local Eagles Club . Wasn't most of that area sold for cell phone coverage?

More likely would be a fine mailed to the club, which in turn would make your gear very unwelcome next time you show up for a gig, assuming they don't try to just pass the entire fine along to you.

• Members

suckedey {censored}ing suck {censored}....aren't those MY airwaves? Isn't that why they created the FCC??? To PROTECT.....wait for it.......MY.....airwaves? Airwaves that belong to the public?

{censored}ty {censored}ting {censored} shat.....Hat Damn gov't just KEEPS {censored}ing my {censored} up!

• Members

Audio Technica has a limited-time exchange program on their affected systems... for a whopping 15% off any brand-new Audio Technica wireless system.

:rolleyes:

Better than nothing, I suppose. Sorta. If you're going to do it, you gotta do it by the end of this month, though.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/features/d902a46d7c31c586/index.html/

Sennheiser has a similar program up on their web site.

So the companies that make wireless are on board. At 15% off, Audio-Technica is still making a buttload of money. These companies are laughing all the way to the phucking bank.:mad:

• Members

So the companies that make wireless are on board. At 15% off, Audio-Technica is still making a buttload of money. These companies are laughing all the way to the phucking bank.
:mad:

Actually, the major wireless companies fought hard against this getting passed, as did a lot of the larger sound companies. Like I said, I lost thousands in inventory, but some of my friends in the industry, like one who owns a large Broadway rental house lost hundreds of thousands. On top of it, the FCC was about to tell us all that we needed to pay for licenses to use the stuff, and that we'd been using it illegally for years.

Joe Schmoe using his guitar bug in the local pub has little to worry about until people in the audience start taking phone calls and your solo gets stepped on. That's probably a little ways off yet. Those wireless aren't very powerful, so you run no risk of stepping on emergency service frequencies which is what would get you into trouble. It's the guys running high gain powered antenna distribution systems that run the risk of pissing off the authorities.

• Members

It's "Big Brother" in action. They're listening to you. If they don't like your solo they'll come into the club, haul you off and force you to you make little rocks out of big rocks for the rest of your life!!!:cop::eek::mad:

• Members

suckedey {censored}ing suck {censored}....aren't those MY airwaves? Isn't that why they created the FCC??? To PROTECT.....wait for it.......MY.....airwaves? Airwaves that belong to the public?

{censored}ty {censored}ting {censored} shat.....Hat Damn gov't just KEEPS {censored}ing my {censored} up!

As you will learn you own nothing. The government just lets you use things and taxes the {censored} out of it in the process. :mad::mad::mad:

Archived