Gibson 335 S Deluxe silverburst

Spike Li

• Members

So I came across one of these unique old gibsons in a guitar store today.

(not actual one)

p1_updlqf5bp_so.jpg

I went into the store to try out an explorer studio with minihumbuckers they had, but ended up being really disappointed with the thin/weak sounding bridge (non original, SD) pup. I saw the old silverburst thing and decided to have a go because I was very curious as to what it was having never seen one like it before (its a solidbody 335 shape but smaller... like a 339 I guess).

I have to say, I was quite impressed with this things tone. Im considering going back tomorro and maybe getting it, although there are a few things that dont seem right:

The neck has been broken/reparied - which the salesman im mediately pointed out, but still...

The original tuners have been replaced with the green key kluson style ones, like those on LP studios.

Original brass nut has been replaced with a black plastic one.

The frets are very worn - not pitted - but quite low.

Also, all pictures I have seen of these on the internet while researching them shows them with zebra dirty finger pups and a "TP-6" tailpiece, while this one has a TOM and black pups.

These are all minor things, but being an old gibson its not exactly that cheap and was wondering if being non original would give me some bargaining room?

Also, does anyone have any experience with/opinions on these?

• Members

No experience with them, but that's hot.

Are the 335 S models the same basic body size as "regular" 335s? I realize they are thinner front to back, but are they as big as a normal 335?

I believe I've seen a couple of these around years back, but never paid much attention to them or played one.

• Members

No experience with them, but that's hot.

Are the 335 S models the same basic body size as "regular" 335s? I realize they are thinner front to back, but are they as big as a normal 335?

I believe I've seen a couple of these around years back, but never paid much attention to them or played one.

No, theyre roughly about the same size as a Les Paul, heres a comparison pic i found:

100_0352.jpg

Oh and its made in 1980, was this one of the "bad" years for Gibson?

• Members

I remember them and they were not that much back in the day about 1980 or so. I wouldn't pay much over $550 they were in the line when Gibson was making Cheaper guitars like the S1,Victory and The Paul.

• Members

The broken headstock should bump the price down considerably.

Whether it's Norlin era may hold the price back even more but I wouldn't let that stop me. A good guitar is a good guitar.

You're basically getting an LP double cut with a nice paint job when you think about it.

How much?

EG

• Members

hmmm, cant multiquote for some reason :confused::confused:

They want $1600 AUD for it. Ive gotten new gibsons with cases (this one doesnt come with one) for close to that so I really dont think its worth that much. The salesman said to me "if the headstock wasnt broken we'd have that at $3000 easy" which I find hard to believe (not that I believe salesmen anyway).

Im kinda tossing up betweem this, an LP studio Raw Power, a Jackson DK2T (has a JB in the bridge tho, that has to go), or just saving my money and being content with what I already have.... decisions decisions....

Archived