'A known ebay glitch' ...

super56k

• Members

This is exciting. I sold an amp through ebay, and based on the buyer's claims something happened to it during shipping causing it to make some noise (Which I don't really doubt, it happens). I suggest the guy make sure it's plugged into a clean outlet where pc's and overhead lighting wouldn't be to blame. A day or two later I see when I got home from work that he opened a case claiming item not as described. Now here is where it gets very interesting.

Ebay, in barely 60 seconds, awarded a full refund citing the maximum time limit had been met for the case to be open. After contacting the buyer about this he says don't worry ebay messed up. They gave him an auto-refund and I keep my money. So he then tells me he's taking his free amp to a tech to have it looked at. I, on the otherhand, received notification from ebay that they'll be in touch with me soon about repayment of the refund (including the shipping cost).

About 4 days ago I challenged the decision, and haven't received a response from ebay yet. I emailed the buyer telling him that I do indeed need my amp back if he's sticking with the refund, and not to take it to a tech (I haven't received a response from him either).

Some searching on the web notes that this is 'a known glitch' in the ebay resolution center. :facepalm:

6/29 update - Spoke with an ebay rep, and had it confirmed to me that due to the glitch ebay made it right by refunding the money on their dime, and releasing my funds (and liability). I'm still nervous, but this guy confirmed to me a few times, in a few different ways, how they have no reason (or legal authority) to expect a refund from me when they messed up the resolution.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess there is a chance we're both 'winners' in this, but I have a hard time believing ebay isn't going to want to get the money from me. I'd be cool with that, but I'm assuming the worst until ebay actually fills me in on what's going on.

• Members

If they drag their feet and the dude doesn't return it within a reasonable time than how can you be held accountable for issuing a refund? I would think that e-Bay would go after him since he still has the item and the money paid for it.

Shouldn't him returning the item be a stipulation of a refund?

• Members

If they drag their feet and the dude doesn't return it within a reasonable time than how can you be held accountable for issuing a refund? I would think that e-Bay would go after him since he still has the item and the money paid for it.

Shouldn't him returning the item be a stipulation of a refund?

See, the problem here, is that you're trying to think about this logically.

• Members

Calm down.

It's the "buyer protection policy"

The guy shouldn't have filed a damn claim, he should have waited to get it looked at, and I assume you had it insured.

This is what happens when people immediately feel they've been cheated.
Patience and communication fixes 98% of these kinds of problems.

The guy should remove that damn case. It's muddying the waters.

• Members

What I really like is how it doesnt matter if you put "no returns" on an item ebay will still refund the buyer if they want and then expect you to pay for it:mad: My buddy just went through the same exact thing except it was with a camera. The women got the cam and decided she didnt like it so she put in a claim with ebay. They AUTOMATICALLY sided with her and refunded her the money before he had a chance to put his side of the story in. Complete garbage for sure:facepalm:

Archived