'A known ebay glitch' ...

super56k

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This really isn't a win-win. The seller got $500 and lost the amp, just like what should have happened in a normal business transaction. However, the buyer spent no money and received an amp.

Therefore, it is simply a win for the buyer.

I don't see how PayPal or e-Bay doesn't go after the money or the item at some point. It'd be insane not to. They aren't giving money away; they'll want it back from either the buyer or the seller and once that is initiated the whereabouts and condition of the amp is going to become a hot issue.

I still don't understand why he started a dispute like that instead of trying to deal with the seller first. Doesn't make a lot of sense and e-Bay even recommends sorting it out amongst the two parties first.

I suppose that may be why they have such a heavy handed approach; it's supposed to be a last resort.

• Members

As the ebay rep explained to me it's their fault this happened, and their policy is to not hold either party accountable when they screw up on something as significant as that.

Quick someone sell me a $500 amp on ebay and I'll file a dispute! WIN WIN!

Can't believe e-bay payed out of pocket.

Either this isn't over yet or e-bay has the worst business model ever.

I didn't want to say it myself on here, but that's what I mentioned to a friend as I was discussing how this all worked out. Though the rarity of it would surely make it a quick way to have your account banned on ebay.

The ~$500 ebay lost is like me losing a nickel or even way less, and based on the rep's statement the rarity of this makes it seem unlikely they do it very often.

• Members
This really isn't a win-win. The seller got $500 and lost the amp, just like what should have happened in a normal business transaction. However, the buyer spent no money and received an amp.

Therefore, it is simply a win for the buyer.

it's win-superwin. The seller wanted the money not the amp. If the amp had sold for $1000 though it would be superwin on both sides ( ;) ;) )

• Members

What kind of cleaning (I know nothing almost nothing about camera lenses)? I mean are we talking about a wipe down or a professional thing?

I am assuming that you got the lenses back?

Either way I stand by my statement and you know this isn't anything personal; it's just my opinion.

If I was to buy something on e-Bay that was completely screwed up or I wasn't satisfied than I would want to be able to get it resolved and get my money back quickly. As a seller it sucks; I know that. But what if you bought something that was crappy and the guy said 'tough {censored}, not returns'? You're SOL and the only thing you did wrong was believe the description and get screwed.

For every innocent misunderstanding that inconveniences someone there are hundreds of fraudulent {censored}heads that are thwarted becasue they can't rip people off without getting the money taken back.

It's a two way street is all I am saying. Frivilous claims and unrealistic expectations are never a good thing and they screw up the system, but the protections that are provided IMHO are worth a couple of inconveniences.

And e-Bay wasn't that great 15 years ago without buyer protection; you heard about 'e-Bay scams' all the damn time. Plenty of people got screwed. At least now they can get their money back. I doubt that if everyone was honest that they would have implemented the new policies that no doubt generated a lot more work and overhead.

The only thing that you can do as a seller is to make sure that the item is described as completely and accurately as you can and be sure to identify any discrepancies or issues. Photograph the crap out of it and communicate with the buyer to the point that it's almost insulting.

I've had to give one refund over the years and that was because the damn thing was broken and I didn't realize it when I sent it out. Dude even gave me great feedback because I made it good. It could have went the other way if he was an asshole.

That's part of the risk of selling online; you never know who the other person is and what they are like until it's too late.

I recently got screwed as a buyer.

I bought an item that wasn't as described.

They sided with the seller and I was stuck.

Good news is that I ended up selling it for $20.00 more dollars off CL.

Archived