Records That Take You To Another Place

• Members

I`m currently working on a concept album/song cycle based on the Robert Pirsigs book, "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". If you have read the book, you know about the imagery and the open spaces the books eludes to. I envision a soundscape of open spaces, desolation at times, but most of all, taking the listener to another place once they press play. I am using themes and variations to instill a oneness from one song to the next. Think along the lines of U2s "Joshua Tree", Pink Floyds "Wall", "Wish You Were Here", Danial Lanois stuff...

Any other albums you guys can think of?

• Members

Soundtrack scores are certainly designed to enhance the emotion or imagery of what's happening on screen. Sometimes they're even the focus of what's happening on screen, as was the case with Woodstock. In that case, it's hard not to be transported to another place (and time) when hearing the music.

And its 1,2,3 what are we fighting for?...

Best,

Geoff

• Members

To supplement Ken's response - the ambient guys are all over this, but in the non-song format, so maybe that's not what you're looking for? But along those lines anyway here's a couple off the top of my head if you're interested:

Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return

Jeff Greinke - Cities in Fog

and yeah, the On Land album from Eno is one of the greats.

Beck's album Sea Change really captures a mood and maintains it pretty well throughout. It's a "so I just got divorced and now I'm driving through the desert alone at night and starting to try and to put my head back together, what's left of it" kind of vibe.

The proggers also work the concept album, but their moods tend toward the melodramatic IMHO.....I'm sure there are exceptions, but can't think of any at the moment:)

Also check out Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays As Falls Witchita So Falls Witchita Falls.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Sheryl Crow - "The Globe Sessions"

Seal

Toto - "Hydra"

Dan Seals - "In A Quiet Room"

The Arc Angels

MJ - "Bad," "Dangerous,"

Genesis - "A Trick Of The Tail"

Dire Straits - "Love Over Gold"

Led Zeppelin - "Remasters"

Yes - "Close To The Edge," 90125," "Big Generator"

Doobie Bros - "The Captain And Me"

Booshy - "Everything"

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Lily and Maria, Lily and Maria. Takes me back to the mid-late 60s folk/rock scene and straight into the headspace of a moody, arty girl alone in the Big City for the first time.

Since Cooter brought up the Belfast Cowboy: Astral Weeks, by Van Morrison. One of the most amazing evocations of a time, place, and vibe ever...

• Members

Miles Davis "Shhh Peaceful" from the "In a Silent Way" album. It's the perfect soundtrack for sitting out on the porch on a summer night in the south, gin and tonic next to the rocking chair, fireflies blinking in the humid night air, and occasional flashes of sheet lightning off in the distance.

• Members

Just the song, not the album...'Misty Roses' written and performed by Tim Hardin, but covered beautifully by Colin Blunstone and Bobby Darin, among others.

I'm always in a smoke filled club in Pre-war club in Paris, puffing on a Gauloises, sipping a Pernod, wearing an open collar white cotton shirt, and a Brown Tweed, wool, Jacket with Tan Suede elbow patches from Bond street, London...

I'm ordering an 'Aperitif' to be sent to the slim, elegant, Single, woman at the next table, with tawny skin, and finely sculpted cheekbones, and legs that go on forever

Thinking... this song was written for HER.:love:

• Members

Lily and Maria,
Lily and Maria
. Takes me back to the mid-late 60s folk/rock scene and straight into the headspace of a moody, arty girl alone in the Big City for the first time.

Since Cooter brought up the Belfast Cowboy:
Astral Weeks
, by Van Morrison. One of the most amazing evocations of a time, place, and vibe ever...

Hey Blue, we spoke of this before...I told you that album reminds me of the first love of my life, A lovely, petite, dark haired Bohemian Artist who always wore grey or black tights and mini-skirt, who attended the Cooper Union in NYC. in 1967 ..SIGH.

Great Album/very talented young ladies who performed it.:thu:

• Members

Frampton Comes Alive - seriously.

"You know it's alright... somethin's happening"

Puts you right smack in the middle of Winterland - summer of 1975.

Everybody's happy - Pete is at his congenial best...

"Bob Mayo on the keyboard...Bob Mayo."

"Do you feel like we do?" huge applause>

You can almost smell the sensimilla.

• Members

Avalon
- Roxy Music

Every time I listen to this my mind goes someplace else and i can't even explain where!
:confused:

Wherever it is, the location is very urban, chic, hip and laid back.

That's interesting, because I get a totally different feeling.

Something akin to misty, rolling fields of green in Ireland, or maybe the mythical Avalon, itself.

Archived