Who today comes up to the standard of Hendrix

catscurlyear

• Members

The fail is great with this one.

A kaoss pad in your guitar is a gimmick, not use of modern technology.

Unless, of course, Bellamy has actually learned to use it, instead of 'zippering' samples with his finger.

BIG FAIL TO YOU!

The effects Jimi used were considered gimmicks, or toys. Jimi embraced the new technologies being put out back then, even helping to shape their development. The wah wah wasn't even designed for the guitar in its original guise! We are in an age where technology is helping guitarists do things that even Jimi couldn't even imagine.

And honestly, do you think if Jimi was around today he'd still be playing an upside down strat with his set-up, or do you think he would have pushed the boundaries, as he always did, and embrace the technology available today. Guitarists are a funny bunch. The vast majority almost afraid of what technology can do to the sound of a guitar. I caz't play a sax, flute or bassoon, but if I stick a midi pickup on my guitar, I can!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes jimi used pedals.. but he could come across with his music with out it.. hell he could plug in to Plexus 100 watt with just a stock strat and lay whole towns to waste.. jimi needed those FX to get where he needed to be.. if you take a listen to a track like red house off of Ilse of Right.. there is no doubt that he need no gimics.. bill bell.. while a great player is really isolated from his sound mho.. its too electro mechanical.. but jmho..

• Members

BIG FAIL TO YOU!

The effects Jimi used were considered gimmicks, or toys. Jimi embraced the new technologies being put out back then, even helping to shape their development. The wah wah wasn't even designed for the guitar in its original guise! We are in an age where technology is helping guitarists do things that even Jimi couldn't even imagine.

And honestly, do you think if Jimi was around today he'd still be playing an upside down strat with his set-up, or do you think he would have pushed the boundaries, as he always did, and embrace the technology available today. Guitarists are a funny bunch. The vast majority almost afraid of what technology can do to the sound of a guitar. I caz't play a sax, flute or bassoon, but if I stick a midi pickup on my guitar, I can!

Can Bill write a song, or actually play guitar with effects, or is the entire catalog nothing but true gimmick?

Anyone can do what the kaoss pad and whammy do for Muse.

Hendrix was the complete package.

• Members

tell you what sport,
you write
something or play some thing that is so cool as this and honest..
and real..

then you can slag and call jimi a junky or slopy or what ever..
untill then..

push mice..

[YOUTUBE]9hBgXkJD2EM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

John Frusciante is a very Hendrix/SRV inspired guitar player. He doesn't come close to Hendrix's psychedelic noises and effects, but he's put out some solid solo albums, as well as his work with the Chili Peppers.

EVH to some degree, as well. Even though he doesn't make music anymore, there was a time when his originality was rivaled only by Jimi. EVH is also one of the very few technical players that can write a meaningful solo too. 5150 (the album) is a good example of that.

• Members

if it was that easy to be good guitar player as to just take substances I think everyone I know who plays guitar would be Hendrix. Hell, I would at least be Trey Anastasio.

Eric owes me a triangle bigmuff pi, and I'm still kind of missing it 10 years later. :cry:I loaned it to him never realizing how legendary it would become Or that I would never see it again. if anyone still talks to him please get it back for me. It's no wonder he's in jail, but it's sad. He used to be a good friend of mine, no idea if he would even remember me 10 years later. There was a rumor he was responsible for robbing me, but It could have been my next-door neighbors. Memphis. I'm kind of leaning towards Eric at the moment. What is he in jail for? I haven't been in Memphis in 10 years. There's any number of things I can think of that could put him there. Everything said about his guitar playing is completely true. I can't count how many nights my jaw would drop that he could play guitar better than anyone I have ever seen, these jam sessions would usually come at eight or nine in the morningafter we had been out partying all night long. He couldn't talk but he could still play better than you can! he really had it, especially when he let it go and wasn't worried about what people thought. In some aspects he might have been a better guitarist. Here's what Hendrix had that Eric doesn't, Hendrix could write songs that we are going to sing and play forever. What of Eric's are we going to do that with so far? (Don't forget he plays his guitar strung upside down too.)

i wouldn`t worry about the big muff they seemed to get passed around like unwanted pets. yeh i like eric,and with him playing it reverse strung it puts a different slant on the way he plays ,i don`t know too much about his song writing. frank marino was the same his song writing seemed to fall short.

• Members

For someone who is redefining the strat like Hendrix did, I would point to Jeff Beck. The OP did ask for a singer/guitarist so he does not qualify in that regard.

At the time Jeff was not at Hendrix's level (but he was up there) but over time he has way created a new and different style on the strat that many people are now copying. Jeff is probably, arguably the greatest rock guitarist on the planet and he can (with actually no training) hold his own with many jazz guitarist. Carlos Santana was so over matched my John McLaughlin, but not Jeff who figured out a way to stand toe to toe with John. That's what makes Jeff so great. He can cut heads with anyone in any genre. Jeff is at Hendrix level today. No doubt about it.

The only other guitarist who has really changed the face of the electric guitar is Eddie Van Halen. When he came out, it was like a sonic boom, you never heard anything like that before. Now it's commonplace but not back when he started.

• Members

No doubt has JB brought expressive development to the electric guitar as Hendrix did in those days.

Isn't that what we are talking about, bringing something really new in style of playing and what you can achieve musically on the instrument.

It's a pity he is not a composer that matches his skills on the instrument.

• Members

Hendrix himself didn't think he was the greatest chopsmeister in his day anyway - thought Terry Kath was better.

I remember him on Cavett or Carson saying how he's always trying new stuff all the time, every time he plays and that's why he makes mistakes in live shows. Always trying to get further out there to someplace no one's ever been.

That was his genius, his out of the blue creative amazing musical imagination, mixed with soul and sex and ANY kind of high, reaching and reaching out and getting there or crashing dead. Which of course he did both.

Since he's been so copied, the giant leap he made is not as apparent now as it was in his day. Hard to recognize a single musician in rock that matches Hendrix along lines of pure creativity. The Beatles as a group matched his creation, sure. But other than that I think you have to move over to jazz to find as powerful a creative force in one dude. Miles, of course.

The White Whale

• Members

The only modern guitarist that I think plays with the feeling Hendrix did, and has some of the creativity is Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys. Technically not the greatest guitarist, but Auerbach's made some classic songs with his blues-rock style and awesome voice. I can't connect with many modern guitarists besides him.

• Members

i wouldn`t worry about the big muff they seemed to get passed around like unwanted pets. yeh i like eric,and with him playing it reverse strung it puts a different slant on the way he plays ,i don`t know too much about his song writing. frank marino was the same his song writing seemed to fall short.

yeah, that muff kind of did sound like a chainsaw. It was way too ratty sounding to quote another member here. However it had history. My dad's best friend bought it new when it first came out, and loaned it to me way back in high school in the early 90s. I played it in my high school talent show. which is epic in its own right ( go-go dancers, smoke machines, lights strobes, and the plug got pulled 13 in) so I just never really wanted to lose it.

The thing about Eric is, the best of his playing has never been released. When he plays live, he wants to be so cool he loses something. Every now and then you can find a live tape where he relaxes and it just comes out like water. I wish he could get past his personal demons. I can't really listen to him anymore too much personal history. I don't even want to get into his girlfriend getting my ex-girlfriend a job, and the mess that created. Let's just say she was so messed up after that job she sounded like the dude locked in a chicken coop on Friday.

I will say this, Eric is a hell of a nice guy. Not pretentious at all. Buy him a beer you get a friend for the night. I hope it wasn't him.

• Members
The only modern guitarist that I think plays with the feeling Hendrix did, and has some of the creativity is Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys. Technically not the greatest guitarist, but Auerbach's made some classic songs with his blues-rock style and awesome voice. I can't connect with many modern guitarists besides him.

i know what you mean and the geezer from white stripes he`s got energy.

• Members
yeah, not that muff kind of did sound like a chainsaw. It was way too ratty sounding to quote another member here. However it had history. My dad's best friend bought it new when it first came out, and loaned it to me way back in high school in the early 90s. I played it in my high school talent show. which is epic in its own right ( go-go dancers, smoke machines, lights strobes, and the plug got pulled 13 in) so I just never really wanted to lose it.

The thing about Eric is, the best of his playing has never been released. When he plays live, he wants to be so cool he loses something. Every now and then you can find a live tape where he relaxes and it just comes out like water. I wish he could get past his personal demons. I can't really listen to him anymore too much personal history. I don't even want to get into his girlfriend getting my ex-girlfriend a job, and the mess that created. Let's just say she was so messed up after that job she sounded like the dude locked in a chicken coop on Friday.

I will say this, Eric is a hell of a nice guy. Not pretentious at all. Buy him a beer you get a friend for the night. I hope it wasn't him.

That was awesome. Eric Gales definitely gets my vote. I kinda forgot about him when I posted. But he's one of the best around.

• Members
Today's Hendrix probably doesn't play guitar, and his music would sound like ugly noise to us, just as Hendrix's did to the parents of the hippies.

Ha! I could be Hendrix then. My hard drive is full of stuff that sounds like that. Maybe I should try playing it for people occasionally.

Another Memphis musician people forget about way to easily

Shawn Lane

I would see him all over town playing with the worst bands ever. Then suddenly you'd notice the guitar player was kicking Ynvgie's ass. That was the most confusing thing you ever saw in your life, horrible redneck bar band, awesome guitar player.

Shawn rocking Hendrix with the worst bar band ever! :cool:

Hunt down some better videos if you are not familiar with the guy. He was a god.

• Members
yeah, that muff kind of did sound like a chainsaw. It was way too ratty sounding to quote another member here. However it had history. My dad's best friend bought it new when it first came out, and loaned it to me way back in high school in the early 90s. I played it in my high school talent show. which is epic in its own right ( go-go dancers, smoke machines, lights strobes, and the plug got pulled 13 in) so I just never really wanted to lose it.

eric has a great tune on his myspace page called "retribution" don`t know if he wrote it,it has an alice in chains type vibe,but just a bit funkier . he also did a great version of "may this be love" ,by hendrix (waterfall as some people know it) on a tribute to hendrix album,think it`s called power of soul ,i`ve seen him doing that one on utube also and he extends the middle funk bit to good effect.

• Members

Eric can write, I prefer Blue Misty Morning, awesome blues tune. But he just isn't Hendrix caliber yet. I have hope for him.

I am voting Shawn Lane I think. he can rock the prerequisite Hendrix, and he changed the world of guitar seriously, and he had his own style that's not ever going to be matched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYMkxJ35GdI&feature=related

• Members

What i mean is, who in your opinion, can sing and play guitar live in front of thousands of people, and basically create epic masterpieces there on the spot as hendrix used to do ,i can`t think of any.

Me neither,even after he had to tune the guitar mid song and then forgot the words.

[YOUTUBE]gv3cKLWQimE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Hendrix was an egomaniac. He should've stuck to just guitar and let someone else sing.

Was he inventive? Yes.
Was he turbulent? Yes.
Was he creative? Yes.
Was he easily the most overrated guitarist ever? Yes.

• Members
Ha! I could be Hendrix then. My hard drive is full of stuff that sounds like that. Maybe I should try playing it for people occasionally.

Another Memphis musician people forget about way to easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX_KUlZ_MHk

Shawn Lane

I would see him all over town playing with the worst bands ever. Then suddenly you'd notice the guitar player was kicking Ynvgie's ass. That was the most confusing thing you ever saw in your life, horrible redneck bar band, awesome guitar player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkjp4r8wINA&feature=related

Shawn rocking Hendrix with the worst bar band ever!
:cool:

Hunt down some better videos if you are not familiar with the guy. He was a god.

yeh, he`s got too much addrenalin flowing through his veins like frank marino used to.

• Members

Hendrix was an egomaniac. He should've stuck to just guitar and let someone else sing.

Was he inventive? Yes.

Was he turbulent? Yes.

Was he creative? Yes.

Was he easily the most overrated guitarist ever? Yes.

befor you make a statement that he was over rated take a look at what came before and what came after Jimi.. name one musician that has had such an impact of music in general in 4 short years or perhaps even 6..

i think its quite easy to see why jimi is so revered.. by many and hated also..

that thing this music board is dedicated to? would not be where it is if it were not for jimi..

mho..

Archived