Who today comes up to the standard of Hendrix

catscurlyear

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hendrix was the perfect marriage of a man and a moment.

Other players will be great in their own way, but not in the way Hendrix was.

yeh nicely put ,reason i ask is ,i went to see a blues guitarist singer one of the more recent ones who is supposedly {censored} hot (won`t mention any names ) and i was maybe expecting to get some of that hendrix feeling where you are taken on a journey through a song and music but no ,it was over rehearsed and predictable.

• Members
Chris Duarte really brings it.

i know what you mean ,he`s a good player but he has that same tone as SRV i call the hendrix R nB tone ,hendrix had that sound when he made the early recordings with curtis knight and the likes ,but when he came to england his sounds grew like his stacks.

• Members

Mayer isnt even close he is way too pop too be in the Hendrix comparison imo.

I thought an early Kravitz was it but he bought into the lifestyle rather than the playing.

I think Joe B is more progressive ie Hendrix like than a lot of others out there.

But Jimi was and is a original and none have even touched what he achieved in what little time he was around.

• Members

There's lots of great artists out there. I don't listen to Hendrix as much as I used to. But yeah he was definitely one of a kind. And I like the musical influence he had on rock. He may have helped to make the electric guitar the most popular instrument in the world.

• Members

I thought an early Kravitz was it but he bought into the lifestyle rather than the playing.

I think Joe B is more progressive ie Hendrix like than a lot of others out there.

But Jimi was and is a original and none have even touched what he achieved in what little time he was around.

Hendrix was also pop at the time. We didn't hasve the luxury of genres of radio stations.

He was broken by Radio Luxembourg that was about as pop as you could get in those days.

I was doing school homework when I first heard Hey Joe and it stopped me dead to listen.

They played it on the hour every hour for days on end.

Comparisons are dangerous anyway - compare what?

technique? - plenty of innovators there.

tone? - lots of those too

composition? - in its time brilliant - lots around today in their own times.

stage presence? - ditto.

improvisation? - there's a good few of them now.

Better let it rest I think, as you say.

• Members

Although different styles, I actually think Nels Cline has that rare ability to mesmerize a crowd with his playing. He doesn't sing though, so he falls short in that aspect.

I know what you mean. He's great. I can't stop watching that live video of impossible germany. :thu:

• Members

You're right about him not even being close. I just wanted to see what the reaction would be. But i don't think he's not close because he's too pop, i think he's not close because he's not as musically influential. He's a sick gutiarist and plays with a lot of feeling but he's not changing anything. He's just very good a an existing style.

• Members

You're right about him not even being close. I just wanted to see what the reaction would be. But i don't think he's not close because he's too pop, i think he's not close because he's not as musically influential. He's a sick gutiarist and plays with a lot of feeling but he's not changing anything. He's just very good a an existing style.

I think that's a fair assessment. i do really enjoy some of his more recent stuff though. But yeah, it's good for what it is but not really pushing and boundaries.

Archived