When you play at home...

JimSF76

• Members

Virtually the only time I get to play anymore is late at night, after the toddler has gone to bed, so I'm playing an unplugged electric 90% of the time. Since I'm woodshedding or working on sight reading most of the time, it doesn't make any difference if I have volume. Otherwise I'll use my Waves iGTR or play through Logic w/ an amp sim using headphones. In the rare occasion when the wife takes the baby out, though, I take advantage and crank my amp. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Acoustic or amp here too

I dimed the TA-15 yesterday while the boss was out of the house on the 15watt setting and stepped outside the room to test overall loudness and sound

Loud...yes
Sound...excellent

But normally it's in a much lower volume setting so I can play later at night without serious repercussions :D

• Members

About half the time I'm completely unplugged - even the electrics have enough natural volume for useful practice without disturbing domestic management. The rest of the time I use quality studio monitor headphones plugged into a Spider Jam or into my GT-10. I don't do that all the time because frankly it's too effing loud and I've got tinnitus all the time now.

But every once in a while when I've got the place to myself I plug in and crank it loud. Hurts like hell but god it feels good.

• Members

I use a rack preamp into my PC using impulse models for cabinet emulation. I got really used to wearing headphones at basically all times from a studio apartment I used to live in so I've got my PC, my stereo and all my TV/videogame stuff wired through a Mackie mixer. Anyway I'm neither good enough or ballsy enough to subject my neighbors to my inane noodlings, I've lived next door to that guy and I don't have it in me (although I kind of envy those of you who lack that inhibition).

I've had a H&K Tubeman Plus for a few years and in the last couple months I bought a Hafler Hellrazor and a Phaez Daisycutter basically because they were on eBay and too cheap to pass up ($80 and $130 respectively, cheaper than most pedals). There's considerable overlap, I'd probably be happy with any one of them, at least for my "good enough" tone. Again I'm not really good/experienced enough that I'm missing whatever great tone I'd get from a real amp. I do find that it's really striking how much of a difference the different speaker IRs and even mic models and placements make, much more than the differences between the different preamps.

• Members
I use a rack preamp into my PC using impulse models for cabinet emulation. I got really used to wearing headphones at basically all times from a studio apartment I used to live in so I've got my PC, my stereo and all my TV/videogame stuff wired through a Mackie mixer.
Anyway I'm neither good enough or ballsy enough to subject my neighbors to my inane noodlings, I've lived next door to that guy and I don't have it in me (although I kind of envy those of you who lack that inhibition).

I've had a H&K Tubeman Plus for a few years and in the last couple months I bought a Hafler Hellrazor and a Phaez Daisycutter basically because they were on eBay and too cheap to pass up ($80 and $130 respectively, cheaper than most pedals). There's considerable overlap, I'd probably be happy with any one of them, at least for my "good enough" tone. Again I'm not really good/experienced enough that I'm missing whatever great tone I'd get from a real amp. I do find that it's really striking how much of a difference the different speaker IRs and even mic models and placements make, much more than the differences between the different preamps.

+1 :lol:

• Members

Sennheiser HD25-1 headphones fed by the PC. I run my Axe-FX Ultra into the soundcard so that I can record or jam to backing tracks or along with songs.

I can crank it up as loud as I want anytime of day or night without the wife or the neighbors getting pissed at me. My next door neighbor is an inner city cop who works nights and he's got enough crap to put up with without adding sleep deprivation to it.

Archived